Royal Gossip
October 23, 2017, 11:33:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If Prince Charles becomes King Charles, will his kingdom leave him?  (Read 13922 times)
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 06:00:24 am »

I think PC is a realist - as said - he understands why people do not like him or Camilla.  He may rankle over that - but he is not lacking in intelligence or understanding.  Of course he is going to try to get people to appreciate Camilla as he does - but I do not think he would fail to see those efforts being unsuccessful.

I think we can forgive while still remembering Diana - after she and Charles had come to improve their relationship before she died and if she had lived I suspect they would be on better terms.  I just do not think it has to be either or - either you remember Diana and then despise Camilla or accept Camilla and banish the memory of DFiana = we can accept the reality of Camilla while also still honoring Diana.  And give PC his chance at being King - a chance IMHO he has surely earned.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 01:49:04 pm »

It is his birthright, but he has to stop dragging his dead wife up to elevate his new wife; if his new wife has issues about her past or popularity, that is her cross to bear. Camilla should have been made to understand and accept that if anyone disliked her or showed negativity, that is something she would have to deal with like an adult, that he wasn't going to protect her by bashing Diana or undermining the popularity and security of his sons.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 03:37:31 pm »

Of course William and Harry love their mother and will be thinking about her on their father's coronation day. And you are right, they are not old.
However, time moves on and if that Coronation is in another six or seven years there will be people under 30 who remember little of Diana. That doesn't mean that I think that they identify with Camilla or with Charles, for that matter. If the under 30's identify with any of the Royals, it would probably be with Diana's sons.

In my previous post I wasn't excluding the young, merely that the people who followed Diana closely as a young married woman and mother, and later through all her troubles, then her death, would be the most likely to be thinking of what could/should have been.

I do think that both Charles and Camilla are both well aware of the reasons why their popularity is low. Charles is reportedly a deeply religious man. Where Diana was concerned his actions didn't follow his religious impulses. Hence his remark, I suppose.

He does not act like a religious man. A religious man would have made his late ex and the mother of his sons non-negotiable and discouraged the bashing of his late ex wife--and he could have.
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »

But as King...he has the power to bestow on his wife the title of Queen.  Regardless of whether or not people like it.   The only ones who MAY have the power to prevent the crowning of her as Queen, would be the Wills and Harry, but again....its the ruling Monarch's perogative.

I sincerely doubt that the Monarchy is going to end if Camz gets the Queen title.  It may end when the people under monarchy decide that having a royal family has NO benefit. 

sandy
Princess

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2014, 01:14:26 am »

Will and Harry are not able to stop Camilla being crowned Queen.

I think the monarchy falling apart could be because of Camilla as Queen Consort combined with Lazy William who chooses to watch his aging elders do work while he comes up with excuses not to share the workload.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 02:33:45 am »

It is likely that PC still has a long wait for his coronation - and who knows - Cam may not be around then - retired so to speak -
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2014, 03:54:23 am »

Charles might be a surprise; he could end up ordering Camilla to refrain from asking to be crowned alongside him and I am certain that he won't do a single thing to jeopardize his position as King. He's not stupid, he knows that he has to fight to retain his position, much less end up fighting for Camilla's sake. Camilla might realize that he's fought dirty to protect himself as a divorce, he might protect himself at her expense if he feels he has to.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:58 am »

I've been reading a DI biography for pool reading and it is shocking how badly that marriage imploded.  And there were some people in the RF circle who did see it was going to be a disaster but they were outvoted ignored and learned to just keep quiet.  There are many tragedies here - certainly one is that we never got to see a Di and PC with a positive relationship after the divorce yet it is clear they were just about there when she died.  PC and Di were actually scheduled to go on a short trip on Britannia with the boys when she returned from Paris.  Of course, she did not return.

I think much of the antipathy people feel towards PC is because we did not get to see a reconciled friendly Di and Charles afterwards.  If we had I suspect there would be less dislike for him and Camilla now.  I wonder if he would have in fact ever married Camilla if Di had lived.

It is naturally hard to separate Charles as PoW and future King from all that happened.  But I do think that he has been an outstanding Prince of Wales.  There is no way to deny the enormous good he has accomplished.  On that record alone there is reason to think he would represent Britain well as King.  It is almost beyond belief that he allowed his affair with Camilla to endanger that which he worked for.  Or that he would allow an insistence that she become Queen to endanger his reign.  But even if she is Princess Consort she will still be a presence during his reign.  I however do not think she will be crowned.

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2014, 05:11:22 am »

^^ I agree with most of your post, Cate. However, if HM lasts another ten years it could be a whole different scenario. There may well be a foreshortened, simpler Coronation, with some of the pomp and ceremony of 1953 gone.

If Camilla is still with us in ten years or so (and she is frailer than Charles) fewer of the public would be against her crowning. That is, if Parliament hasn't moved to put 'Princess Consort' legislation in place.

I don't believe they will do so, mainly because it would make Camilla (and then Kate) of a lower rank than all the other Queen Consorts in other monarchies. This would cause complex precedence questions at international royal events.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:53 am »

I've been reading a DI biography for pool reading and it is shocking how badly that marriage imploded.  And there were some people in the RF circle who did see it was going to be a disaster but they were outvoted ignored and learned to just keep quiet.  There are many tragedies here - certainly one is that we never got to see a Di and PC with a positive relationship after the divorce yet it is clear they were just about there when she died.  PC and Di were actually scheduled to go on a short trip on Britannia with the boys when she returned from Paris.  Of course, she did not return.

I think much of the antipathy people feel towards PC is because we did not get to see a reconciled friendly Di and Charles afterwards.  If we had I suspect there would be less dislike for him and Camilla now.  I wonder if he would have in fact ever married Camilla if Di had lived.

Diana was developing a healthier maturity in less stressful circumstances and Charles for all we know might have finally grown tired of Camilla and Diana was even on better terms with the Palace, another good sign. I think that if Camilla had been played out and Diana had been enjoying life with her lovers, she would have had a more realistic view of relationships and royal life. Even Tina Brown mentioned that Diana was beginning ot understand the wider world and everything that Charles was involved in.I think Charles and Diana were reconciling and she was getting healthier since she no longer was expected to emotionally and psychologically support Charles and was beginning to develop her own sense of self as a healthy individual.

I think Charles would have been disenchanted with having to prop Camilla up and likely tired of her in general.

sandy
Princess

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2014, 02:51:30 pm »

It is naturally hard to separate Charles as PoW and future King from all that happened.  But I do think that he has been an outstanding Prince of Wales.  There is no way to deny the enormous good he has accomplished.  On that record alone there is reason to think he would represent Britain well as King.  It is almost beyond belief that he allowed his affair with Camilla to endanger that which he worked for.  Or that he would allow an insistence that she become Queen to endanger his reign.  But even if she is Princess Consort she will still be a presence during his reign.  I however do not think she will be crowned.

In 1997 Charles started the Camilla Campaign. Diana was around when a documentary about Camilla appeared worldwide (authorized by Charles), Charles was scheduled to attend a charity event in Fall of 1997 with Camilla giving a speech, and he had that huge birthday party for her at Highgrove.  I don't see that he and Diana would have gotten closer considering the megabucks he was putting in to Camilla PR. I think he was working towards a marriage with Camilla. If he wanted her as mistress he would not have invested all this money and time.
CathyJane
Duchess

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:13 pm »

idk, maybe Chucky and Diana might have become less hostile toward each other as time passed, but I don't think Diana would have appreciated the lengths he went to to try and make Cammie popular. Even after all that went on I do think Diana still had some love for Chucky, at least at some level, even if she hated his guts. However I think she would have hated the fact he and Cammie got married.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2014, 09:08:49 pm »

I certainly did not mean to imply Di and Charles would have married again - just that they had clearly begun to have a warmer more cordial relationship.  I think if people had a chance to see a Diana who had forgiven then their attitudes towards Charles would be more forgiving.  But her death denied that opportunity.

Is the consensus that Camilla is able to dominate Charles more?  So that the efforts made on her behalf would have been because she engineered it?   
sandy
Princess

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2014, 09:26:39 pm »

I think Diana would be always guarded around Charles had she lived. She'd love him as the father of her children but there would be this element of distrust considering how his friends would leak stories about her to the media with IMO Charles full cooperation. I don't think "warm" would apply to the relationship. I think she would be very frosty with Camilla and vice versa.
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2015, 03:24:12 pm »

Just found this article from back in January

Prince Charles, we’ll not stomach a meddling monarch

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/03/prince-charles-meddling-monarch-royal-neutrality?CMP=share_btn_fb
kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2015, 03:46:43 pm »

^ It is an interesting article with serious thoughts which make people meditate.

sandy
Princess

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2015, 12:52:04 am »

Had Diana lived, I think she and Charles would have been polite and cordial, but much damage had been done and I think both would have remained wary of each other. Also she would have fought against the boys being used in Charles campaign  to elevate Camillla.
dianab
Countess

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2015, 02:20:01 am »

Is true that Chuck is in early stages dementia?
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 03:13:30 am »

Given the speeches he gives and the number of engagements he undertakes it would be hard to hide such an issue so I would think not.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 04:21:34 pm »

^where does that come from? Not that's impossible but as meememe says it would be difficult to hide.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: