Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 09:19:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles' attack-dog named a Sir  (Read 3747 times)
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« on: June 15, 2014, 06:42:52 pm »

Nicholas Soames MP, a good friend of Charles, was named a Sir in the last Queen's Birthday list. Soames, a grandson of Winston Churchill, was one of the friends of Charles who defended him against allegations from Diana that Charles had cheated on her and had an ongoing relationship with Camilla.
Soames flat-out refused that and basically called Diana insane for saying something like that. Obviously he had to eat his words, but he never apologized.

Anyway, it pays to be a royal attack dog obviously.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:14:26 am »

I think Charles will see that Michael Fawcett becomes a "sir."
CathyJane
Princess

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:55:39 am »

Surprised he's not already.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:03 am »

If Soames had to wait for a knighthood since the days of the 'Wars of the Wales' or even Diana's death, he's been waiting one h..l of a long time!
I think this knighthoods far more likely to be because of his position as a so-called elder of the Tory Party and assistance given to Cameron and co. in recent years.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 04:54:17 am »

^agree - Soames is much more than an attack dog - and given that most of these honors come out of parliament - I'd say he got it for political contributions he has made

Note Jolie getting a Dame - now that is a high honor - count on it - she has been spending tons of time lobbying and working with Hague - so that is where that came from -
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:51:58 am »

But is Angelina a Dame? I thought that these titles that come with an OBE (Sir and Dame) can only be used by British subjects and subjects of countries that have Queen Elizabeth II as Head of State. Angelina Jolie is born in LA and is an American citizen. So she has an OBE but is not a Dame.
Same with the elder president Bush, he received an OBE as well, but he is not a Sir.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:10:16 am »

Placidlo Dimingo, Bush snr and Bob Hope are/were honorary knights. Ann Murray became an honorary dame. They were appointed KBE's (Knights/Dame of the Order of the British Empire) in spite of not being British citizens. They are only a few of many honorary Knights and Dames.

Angelina Jolie is slightly different in that she was made a Dame of the Order of St Michael and St George, but the effect is the same. As a U.S. citizen she cannot use the title. Nevertheless, it is an honour.
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:47:38 am »

Thanks for the explanation. And indeed...getting such an award is an honour with or without the use of a title like Dame or Sir.
It still doesn't warm me to Angelina Jolie though. For some reason she rubs me the wrong way (and no...not because I at one point fancies Brad Pitt myself. I am more a Colin Firth kind of gall).
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 10:57:02 am »

^^^Did you watch 'Pride and Prejudice' Countess?
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:20 am »

colin firth is a cutie - much more so than Pitt
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »

^^ Hi Roselia...I have the DVD box of the BBC series at home so yes...several times. But I also think he is brilliant in The King's Speech. Easy on the eye and a good actor. Perfect combination!
sandy
Princess

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 02:50:22 pm »

If Soames had to wait for a knighthood since the days of the 'Wars of the Wales' or even Diana's death, he's been waiting one h..l of a long time!
I think this knighthoods far more likely to be because of his position as a so-called elder of the Tory Party and assistance given to Cameron and co. in recent years.

Helping out C and C's cause did not exactly hurt his changes to put it mildly. He got the knighthood in any case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: