Royal Gossip
May 28, 2017, 09:21:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Juan Carlos abdicates  (Read 18365 times)
beline
gossip insider

« on: June 02, 2014, 09:42:17 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27662301

His son Prince Felipe will take over.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:57:42 am »

Gosh, rather a surprise, although Juan Carlos's extravagant  safari to Africa with his mistress in the middle of Spain's economic woes didn't help. Nor, I suppose has his son-in law's scandalous misuse of funds. He's also had two recent operations, I believe. So, it is to be King Felipe and Queen Letizia! I wonder how the Spanish people will react? Haven't there been republican rumblings over the last few years?
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:04:10 am »

wow - not a hint that was coming

I think Felipe and Letizia will do a great job
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:24:38 am »

My mouth dropped open when I saw this thread and thought No Way...if I remember correctly Letizia isn't very well liked so wonder how this will go over

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 11:26:28 am »

Yes, apparently Letizia has been attacked mercilessly over the years
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 11:51:30 am »

well hope they dont last much

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rock n royal
courtier

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:09:02 pm »

Well! That was certainly a surprise. The DM claims Letizia is popular in Spain, being seen as a modern woman. I know very little about the SRF but I do know about the press. Why is she so unpopular?

Wearing three-inch heels and a striking red designer outfit, she might have expected her husband to give her an easy start.
But William showed no interest in holding back, sending his first ball whizzing inches from her face. Steve Robson - Mirror online

"There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life, the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs."  - P.Coelho
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:12:28 pm »

People are mostly indifferent to her and her husband.

Criticism is more focused in the internet.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rock n royal
courtier

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 12:31:43 pm »

Thank you. Do you think that could have anything to do with the behaviour of Juan Carlos or is it just general indifference to the whole RF?

Wearing three-inch heels and a striking red designer outfit, she might have expected her husband to give her an easy start.
But William showed no interest in holding back, sending his first ball whizzing inches from her face. Steve Robson - Mirror online

"There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life, the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs."  - P.Coelho
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 12:37:03 pm »

No. There was indifference towards all the family.

People repeated the cliches like the king being nice/funny, the queen being a professional and Felipe being handsome.

After the scandals only Felipe has survived in the public opinion. But generally the opinion is more negative from before towards the whole idea of a royal family.

Rock n royal
courtier

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 12:41:13 pm »

Thanks Alexandrine, appreciate your knowledge.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 12:43:04 pm »

You're welcome

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:22 pm »

Get ready for some serious competition, Kate! Princess Letizia set to become Queen of Spain... and she certainly looks the part

She's the slim, chic brunette from a modest background who became a princess. Remind you of anyone?
Now, Spain's own Kate Middleton, Princess Letizia - one of Europe's most glamorous royals - is to become a queen.
King Juan Carlos, who has ruled the country for 39 years since General Franco's death in 1975, today announced his abdication.
He will be succeeded by his son, Prince Felipe de Borbon, 46, and his wife Princess Letizia, 41, will become Queen of Spain.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2646060/Get-ready-competition-Kate-Spains-Princess-Letizia-set-Queen-certainly-looks-part.html

Nice try DM no competition.

King Juan Carlos shocks Spain with unexpected abdication - handing crown to son Felipe and his wife Letizia who goes from ex-newsreader to world's glamourous queen

King Juan Carlos of Spain is to abdicate for political reasons rather than his ailing health after more than 40 years on the throne, the country's prime minister has revealed.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said the 74-year-old king would hand the crown to his son, Prince Felipe, 46, but not before a new law is drafted to pave the way for such an unprecedented handover.
He is the second European monarch to abdicate in just over a year after Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands handed the throne to her son Prince Willem-Alexander after 33 years in April last year.
The 76-year-old, who oversaw his country's transition from dictatorship to democracy, has seen the twilight of his monarchy blighted by scandal and health problems, including five operations in the last two years.
He has seen his popularity nosedive in the face of a string of corruption scandals and gaffes in recent years, including the infamous photograph of him posing - gun on hip - next to a dead elephant in Botswana while his homeland wallowed in its financial crisis of 2012.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2646032/BREAKING-NEWS-King-Juan-Carlos-Spain-abdicate-hand-crown-son-Filipe.html

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:06:24 pm by Fly on the wall » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 01:29:38 pm »

Indeed no competition. Letizia had her own career; she worked for TVE (the Spanish version of the BBC) and she reported on the events of 9/11 f.e. For a reporter to be send to the US/ NY, she must have been a highflyer at the television-station.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 01:41:22 pm »

Except that she worked in TVE as you say but that channel works on connections not talent. Highflyer sure but not for her awesome professionalism.

RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 02:09:43 pm »

you don't get the job Alexandrine, unless you do have connections.  That's true in spain, the US and most of the world.

Good to see that Juan Carlos is abdicating.  He knows, unlike Liz, that a change at the top is needed. 
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 02:27:54 pm »

Letizia knocks spots off wasty, in every way.  A very good article for Letizia.  At least she doesn´t prance around showing her crotch or her butt, unlike wasty.  The two pics below say it all for me, the difference between the wheat and the chaff.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/02/article-2646060-1E68028700000578-227_472x657.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/02/article-2646060-01B7044B00000514-679_472x657.jpg

Rock n royal
courtier

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 02:37:12 pm »

I've been reading around a little bit as I really know very little about the SRF. After doing that I say, congratulations King Felipe and Queen Letizia.

I also wonder what will become of Queen Sophia? I knew of the affairs she has had to put up with. As a Catholic will she divorce and live her own life now? I hope so.

Does anyone know what K JC and Queen Sophia will be known as now?

I read those articles Gingerboy. I liked the majority of the comments as much as the articles. tehe

gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 02:53:24 pm »

^ Me too  laugh
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 02:57:01 pm »

@Rock n Royal the main problem is that it seems that nothing has been thought too much. There has been no news on what will happen with JC and the Queen. Neither in terms of money, titles or whatever.

@gingerboy24 sorry but before seeing Kate's knickers we saw first Leti's http://blogdelatele.blogspot.com.es/2007/08/fotos-y-vdeo-revista-hola-y-doa-letizia.html

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: