Royal Gossip
December 15, 2017, 10:07:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maleficent Movie  (Read 4465 times)
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« on: April 10, 2014, 03:07:31 pm »

Ok, not a big fan of Angelina Jolie, but this looks dang good.  There's a lot of chatter, though, about the "Collection" coming out on HSN.  Don't shop there but I may change my mind because it seems to have some potential.

http://www.hsn.com/content/Maleficent/156?rid=3626&query=Maleficent&isSuggested=False&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hsn.com%2Fcontent%2FMaleficent%2F156%3Frid%3D3626%26query%3DMaleficent%26isSuggested%3DFalse%26&cm_mmc=cj-_-Acer+Laptop+-+Newsletter-_-7105005-10930561-_-skim33330X911650Xf872c6a05c31039bbb17cc634cffdfc0-NA

The Home Shopping Network is partnering with Disney to offer a line of merchandise based on their new film, Maleficent.

Inspired by Angelina Jolie's character in the film and her wicked cheekbones, the collection will feature a line of clothing, jewelry and home accessories.

Heidi Daus is the consulting designer.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:20:40 pm »

I can't wait to see this Movie, I like Angelina Jolie she's a good actress

I've watched all the movie trailers on this...my kids are so excited to go see this in the theatre
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:04:04 am »

yes we are really psyched for it too - saw one of the trailer at the theater and it looks great

it does seem the perfect part for Jolie
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »

Maleficent movie reviews are in and they're mixed (anyone here see it yet?):

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/maleficent-reviews-are-critics-under-its-spell/

The Disney tale, which opens in theaters Friday, is an origins story of sorts for Maleficent, explaining just how and why she became so hard-hearted and evil. Elle Fanning stars as Princess Aurora (while Jolie's daughter, Vivienne Jolie-Pitt, plays her as a young girl) and the film also stars Sharlto Copley, Sam Riley, Leslie Manville, Juno Temple and Imelda Staunton.

And while Jolie's performance has earned critical praise, the same can't be said for the film as a whole --- it currently holds a 46 percent rating (aka "Rotten") on RottenTomatoes.com.

Take a look at what some reviewers had to say:

"No stranger to larger-than-life characters, Angelina Jolie doesn't chew the estimable scenery in 'Maleficent' -- she infuses it, wielding a magnetic and effortless power as the magnificently malevolent fairy who places a curse on a newborn princess. ... A few bumpy patches notwithstanding, the new feature is an exquisitely designed, emotionally absorbing work of dark enchantment." -- Sheri Linden, The Hollywood Reporter.

"Jolie pulls off the thinly written part by adopting a commanding presence. When the role calls for her to bellow the curse, her character vividly comes alive. Disney missed a golden opportunity to tell a bewitching story and instead gives audiences a muddled revisionist tale with stunning visuals." -- Claudia Puig, USA Today.

"Debuting director Robert Stromberg has two Oscars for art direction ('Avatar,' 'Alice in Wonderland') and it shows. The downside is that 'Maleficent' is nothing more than a diorama disguised as a movie, a flimsy cardboard thingie that feels untouched by human hands." -- Peter Travers, Rolling Stone.

"The characters are boiled down to their essentials, the humor is timelessly broad, and Jolie's at her best when she's curling her claws and elongating her vowels like a black-sabbath Tallulah Bankhead. Unfortunately, the story is more than a bit of a muddle, a string of sequences that shuttle the characters back and forth between the film's sole two locations, a castle and a magic forest." -- Keith Staskiewicz, Entertainment Weekly.

"This is Jolie's film because of the Maleficent she makes. Everyone else, even Aurora, fades in her presence. When she is on the screen, she is all you really see." -- Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times.

"Consciously or not, coherently or not, 'Maleficent' tells a new kind of story about how we live now, not once upon another time. And it does so by suggesting, among other things, that budding girls and older women are not natural foes, even if that's what fairy tales, Hollywood and the world like to tell us. And while that may sound drippy, it's exactly the kind of hokey that, movie by movie, may finally make a real difference." - Manohla Dargis, The New York Times.

"[The film is] dark and brooding and full of aggressive, unsettling impulses. What comic relief there is comes in the form of Aurora's three caretaking fairies, played by the fabulous British actresses Lesley Manville, Imelda Staunton and Juno Temple; Sam Riley is on hand as Maleficent's factotum, a crow named Diaval. But even the enlivening efforts of these fine players are small beer compared with Jolie's imposing bellicosity as a horned, embittered avenging angel." -- Ann Hornaday, Washington Post.

"In the end, 'Maleficent' is fun for its appealing visuals -- especially in the forest -- and for watching Jolie. But that's not enough to make the whole film interesting. As the minutes tick by, you might even start feeling a bit like Sleeping Beauty herself comes to feel: Drowsy." -- Jocelyn Noveck, Associated Press.

I'll wait for it to go to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, methinks.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:28:39 pm »

Looks like a complete bomb; Maleficent isn't supposed to know where the kid is and second, the only epic battle comes from the fight between the prince and witch. Second, couldn't they find someone MASCULINE to play the prince?

I'm tired of these stupid adaptations to fairy-tales and it's the same with Snow White; they are ruining perfectly solid stories.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
lothwen
Duchess

Hello. My name is Lothwen, and I am a Harryaholic

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:48:59 pm »

I saw it last night.  I won't give away the ending, but it was kinda predictable, after the first half of the movie.

Here's my review I wrote of it on Facebook

First off, the film is beautiful. I think they really took inspiration from the animated film with regards to the cinematography, because virtually every shot looks like a painting, just like the original. Second, the humorous moments felt organic, and true to character. And finally, I am so glad that "True Love's Kiss" is no longer a kiss between two characters who have just met. Disney is doing a good thing by making "True Love" encompass all kinds of love, not just romantic.

Really, the only scene I had an issue with was the curse scene. They lifted the dialogue almost word for word from the original film, but then added in a couple of phrases, I guess to make it different, and it didn't work. I mean, in the original, Maleficent says that Aurora will die. That's a statement with some power behind it. Saying "She will fall into a sleep like death, and sleep forever....well, okay, not forever. She can be woken with True Love's Kiss", doesn't pack the same punch. Also, in that scene I could tell that Angelina Jolie was trying very hard not to sound exactly like the original Maleficent, but honestly, why wouldn't you? Eleanor Audley (who voiced Maleficent) had an amazing quality in her voice where she could make Maleficent sound cold, and yet so elegant at the same time. And that's awesome.

I\\\'m not going to defend myself against these accusations of \\\"playing both sides.\\\"  If you want to know how I feel about Kate and William, read my posts.  If you want further proof, go to the \\\"other forum\\\" and read my posts there.  I have the same user name for both forums.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 05:40:33 am »

Maybe it's because I was raised on some original realllllly scary Disney characters (I still remember Captain Hook.  Eeeek!) and from what I read this Maleficent isn't memorably scary and pretty much watered-down.  That's part of being a kid!  You want to pick up the spider, hear about the ghost, the monster and so on.  Well, I did, anyway.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24:17 am »

I wish they hadn't tried to make Maleficent sympathetic; I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen the comments and I adored my younger years; we had the best cartoons and movies. I just wish they had said she would die, then Merriweather will alleviate the curse.

Stick with the main story!

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
lothwen
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:57 am »

^That was my main problem too.  She wasn't "evil" at all, just looking for vengeance, and it was justified.  I hated the curse scene, because it lacked any sort of punch.

I\\\'m not going to defend myself against these accusations of \\\"playing both sides.\\\"  If you want to know how I feel about Kate and William, read my posts.  If you want further proof, go to the \\\"other forum\\\" and read my posts there.  I have the same user name for both forums.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 07:45:19 am »

Why do they make villains good people, or sympathetic these days? I read Maleficent actually looks after Aurora and is it to difficult to find a masculine looking prince? Second, the whole point of living a woodland life is to protect her from the witch, Maleficent is supposed to not know where the princess is. As far as I can see, it was completely messed up, if only to show off more infernal CGI, which is what I'm getting tired of. It was so simple and so easy. It's not like Aurora is in fact running around at all, in a field of spinning wheels and she's supposed to be smuggled in a castle, upset about being part of an arranged marriage.

As for Jolie, I think she was allowed a say in the script, which makes it worse. I am so sick of her gothic/feminist BS and I am sick of how she's bringing in stuff like violent physical attack into what should be a slightly more adult movie, but oriented towards children. What IS her fascination with assault by the way? Creeeeeeppppppyyyy. Then she is suddenly this victim, who is out for justified vengeance, and has someone else do the dirty work of becoming a dragon and trying to destroy Philip.

lothwen
Duchess

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 04:21:32 pm »

^I take you haven't seen the movie, so your opinion is based on second hand information.

There's no "sexual" violence in the film, and she doesn't try to destroy Phillip. 

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:47 am »

'We were very conscious that it was a metaphor for violent physical attack': Angelina Jolie reveals the powerful meaning behind harrowing Maleficent wing-tearing scene

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2655642/Angelina-Jolie-reveals-harrowing-Maleficent-wing-tearing-scene-metaphor-violent physical attack.html

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 03:18:08 pm »

^Said no one who ever paid to see the movie. 

I'm so sick of everything being a 'Cause' for something, especially among those in Hollywood.  Try making a movie that tells a good story for a change instead and keep the focus off of yourselves. 

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 06:07:08 am »

Thing is, no one might have caught on, but Jolie is making it clear that she's using this film to promote her violent physical attack agenda, whatever that is.

I'll tell you the truth when I say I'm getting really, really disturbed about how Jolie is so fascinated with violent physical attack. She made a movie about wartime violent physical attack, is using a children's film to get a message about violent physical attack across, and now she's acting like she's changing the world through this vaunted summit. A children's film is the last place for that kind of violence and then the symbolic violent physical attack of Maleficent and Jolie's past photo shoots and movies have always had some kind of violence done against her. I mean, in a kid's film she has to promote her fascination. Some of the comments mention how their kids got the message, but kids shouldn't be exposed to this stuff.

Jolie really, really needs to start getting some kind of therapy; she might be interested in causes, but moving this into a kid's movie is beyond disturbed and this is why I'm not seeing this movie. It's coming across as a completely whacked out version, along with the violent physical attack allegory.

There's a time and place for stuff like this, but frankly this isn't supposed to be the place. I really, really wish they had found someone else, to be honest, this is pretty much the reason I'm staying away, mainly because I think Jolie is a deluded fruitcake with a massive messianic complex.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 03:19:45 pm »

^Jolie's nothing more than another narcissistic actress and not much more.  Your points are excellent and I question those comments, I really do.  I wonder how much of what viewers said was pre-empted by her making this declaration because she blabbed about this before, so that's completely self-focused and charged with her desire to make yet another statement.  Wrong platform.  It could also be said that Snow White was about not recognizing women as qualified workers with equal pay, or that Tinker Bell was a stalker! 

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »

This isn't just vain narcissism; this is something way beyond the pale. Jolie apparently isn't even accepted much by mainstream Hollywood, she did after all publicly make out with her brother.

Even Hollywood tends to leave Disney stuff with a certain level of non-metaphoric decency.

This is why I hope Jolie is no longer offered stuff with Disney and I sincerely hope never to see her face in film for a long long time. I haven't seen it and I don't intend to at all.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »

^Until the new Jodi Arias story, if she signs up.  ick  I'm so over Jolie and really weary of her lofty attitude.  I've never understood the fascination and she's, to me, a really lousy actress anyway.

I hadn't heard about the making out with her brother thing.  She's disconnected with reality evidently and, I agree, she had no business getting involved with Disney or vice versa.  Hopefully, she's ready to retire from the business.

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 01:16:02 am »

Apparently Angelina Jolie has been awarded a Damehood in the Queen's Birthday Honours, according to the Guardian newspaper. It was awarded because of her work advocating on behalf of violent physical attack victims (probably mainly in the Third World.)
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 03:29:36 am »

wow - Dame - I do admire the work she does - yes sometimes she does seem a bit nutty but she has done a great deal of good and I do not doubt her sincerity
Vesper
Countess

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 03:47:28 am »

I do. Until she started doing her "humanitarian work", everyone thought she was crazy, but now that's her main source of adulation. To me, she's nothing but a narcisist.

Oh, to keep on topic, I have no intention of seeing that movie.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 03:49:48 am by Vesper » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: