Royal Gossip
October 17, 2017, 04:13:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Invictus Games  (Read 68544 times)
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #620 on: June 10, 2017, 01:38:14 pm »

^Is the cost of living that high in Australia?  That's a preposterous amount of money for any of those, frankly, standard executive suites that, at the very very highest price in SF or NYC would run, at maximum $1-2k.  In LA, where pricing is off the charts the highest price for a suite is around $500 with exclusive floor and all of that "hotel luxury".

With tax, that would amount to $10,000 USD a night in the US!  Wow.  Never heard of such a thing except maybe a private bungalow with a butler, cook, and use of yacht in Maui.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #621 on: June 10, 2017, 02:22:22 pm »

Sydney ranks 11th in the 30 most expensive cities in the world to live in, properties are very very pricey along the north shore (of the harbour.) Multi-million dollar properties are the norm there. Hotel prices near the harbour I'm not so sure of, as we have friends and relatives there and stay with them when we go up to Sydney.

That suite does seem very overpriced, not worth the money IMO, though the views over one of the most spectacular harbours in the world must be fantastic. It all looked nice, comfortable but not breathtaking. There are much more reasonably priced hotels around Sydney than that one. I doubt very much that Harry would have been charged full price anyway! 
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #622 on: June 10, 2017, 06:25:02 pm »

Prince Harry's speech to the Invictus Games Team
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9D3uVi0TIH0&ab_channel=Peppers

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #623 on: June 10, 2017, 06:32:47 pm »

He should stay with the governor and live there. Plenty of securtiy, everything in place, plus I am sure the governor lives very comfortably.

Through the royal keyhole: Inside the $7,000-a-night luxury hotel suite where Prince
Harry dried off from his Sydney drenching, with incredible views of the harbour and Opera House

The angry comments are justified; standard room and while the view is likely fantastic, he shouldn't be living like this.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #624 on: June 19, 2017, 02:26:47 am »

Prince Harry: Journey to Invictus
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpOFDjTHVzEgTMdgOJC3HDPtJXu2l5bh0

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #625 on: July 27, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »

First Lady Melania Trump to lead US delegation to Invictus Games in Toronto organized by Prince Harry in first official solo trip
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4736536/Melania-Trump-lead-delegation-Invictus-Games.html
Ok, at least it isn't Ivanka.  eating cookies
I'd prefer people that are helping the veterans instead of whomever's in office. Dr Jill Bidden and Michelle Obama were perfect imo, representatives for the US and to give attention to the issues that the veteran's face on a daily basis because that's what they did as part of their "jobs" as First Lady and Vice President's wife. This one will only be a prop and won't be able to bring the passion and the hands-on experience that the others did. Michelle Obama got a nice kiss on the lips from Harry that left her flustered. They made a great team throughout the IG last year in the US.

Keep Calm and Carry On
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #626 on: August 09, 2017, 04:58:31 pm »

Victoria Murphy‏ @QueenVicMirror  
 Prince Harry has written the foreword of a book about @WeAreInvictus competitors by @vodkaboris
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGx9XgxXkAAOo2Y.jpg

Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #627 on: August 13, 2017, 07:03:17 pm »

tumblr says this: https://nycrealroyal.tumblr.com/post/164140389303/ig
Not good  Angry
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #628 on: August 13, 2017, 10:40:50 pm »

As there's tons of evidence that Harry has befriended a lot of people he met at the IG, writing to them, offering support, and the other US sergeant who gave Harry her dog tag after wAlking with him on the Wounded Warriorsbwalk across England, put a lot of stuff on her Twitter about the letters and the gift of cookies she got from Harry, when she was recovering from a serious amputation, I wouldn't be so quick to take as gospel an anonymous post to NYC (one of the two Twitter queens who are anti Meghan).

I wouldn't take as truth in fact anything that people put on there. Harry takes his responsibilities to the IG community seriously. There's been tons of Twitters over the years from wounded vets who've heard from Harry via encouraging hand written letters etc.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #629 on: August 22, 2017, 03:39:41 am »

With all the running around he does with Meg, I don't think he's been dedicating too much time for the Games. I believe he is in fact just partying and the real workers are the ones doing the bulk work such as administrative duties, communications, and negotiating sponsorship deals. If he were truly deeply involved, he wouldn't be running after Meg's skirts or posturing in storm trooper uniforms. I do not think he's going to end up as well off in his press coverage as before this time around.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #630 on: September 10, 2017, 01:36:05 am »

Invictus Games will have London grand finale in 2020, say Government sources
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/852058/Prince-Harry-Invictus-Games-London-grand-finale-paralympic

Keep Calm and Carry On
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #631 on: September 10, 2017, 01:48:50 am »

nice

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #632 on: September 10, 2017, 02:05:50 am »

Invictus Games will have London grand finale in 2020, say Government sources
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/852058/Prince-Harry-Invictus-Games-London-grand-finale-paralympic

Typical; clearly Harry was just messing around and not really serious about this at all. This would in fact be an ideal charity for him and he could easily make this his career as a royal.

Ministry of Defence insiders claim the Paralympic-style competition for wounded former service personnel set up by the 32-year-old royal will be brought to a close with a contest in the capital, most likely in 2020.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

A well-placed source said: “It was never intended for the Invictus Games to go on and on forever.

Why is beyond me; this could be held each year at a a new location and it could easily become a regular yearly event. It could in fact coincide with the Paralympics and regular Olympics as well.

But all good things must come to an end. Because we are not involved in any armed conflicts at the moment, there simply aren’t the competitors coming through, which is obviously a good thing.”

You know, that sounds so brainless; not enough freshly disabled veterans to entertain the public. Pity that...

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #633 on: September 10, 2017, 02:46:49 am »

It may very well be that the Invictus Games Isn't financially viable any more. It was originally funded (for London) with a million pounds of Royal Foundation and British Treasury money (from bank fines.) It could well have been decided by the government that those Treasury funds are needed elsewhere and so the money has been pulled.

The Games are rather a niche thing as far as the general public is concerned and it probably has never made enough money to be completely self funding. And it's true, thank God, that hundreds of young men and women are no longer being maimed horrendously in foreign wars, and there's a limit to how much public support the Games would get in the future with the same pool of competitors, especially as many of these brave men and women go on to other things in their lives.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #634 on: September 10, 2017, 02:56:45 am »

If Harry wasn't making such a mess of his life and traveling to exotic locales under the guise of finding a new location for the Games, it might in fact take off. Harry could get corporate sponsorship and get his father to write a check, or better, hold the Games in London and basically try to balance it all out. Yet, that would require learning business and the ins and outs of finance and that would cut into his party time and he wouldn't be able to chase or mess with cheap skirt.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #635 on: September 10, 2017, 03:06:33 am »

The 'young' royals have said from day 1 that unlike the older royals they have no intention of getting involved with a charity for life. They intend on walking with a cause for 5 or so years and then move on. If the cause/charity can stand on its own two feet after their work fine but if not then it will be wound up and that is what is happening here - not enough support from the general public to make if financially viable for sponsors to come on board obviously.

Nice idea but it was always going to be hard to sell it to the public.

I know that in 2000 the Paralympics in Sydney were a success in terms of 'bottoms on seats' but how many people know that local schools were given free tickets for themselves and their families to attend every day of those games. We took four grades from Years 5 - 11 out each day and most of them stayed there at the end of the school day with one or both parents or older siblings - all on free tickets. I went every day and never spent a cent due to the free tickets I was given to accompany the kids. Sure every event was then classed as a 'sell-out' but the reality was the majority of the tickets were given away.

My point is that sadly many people won't part with hard-earned cash to watch the the paralympians or wounded soldiers compete and that means there needs to be subsidies from somewhere else - government, other games etc. Sponsors need to get a return for their investment and that would come from - paying customers, tv rights or somewhere else. They won't do it for altruistic reasons for the most part.

Harry has played around the edges of this as he is not qualified to do any of the real work to run them. He is the 'face' but doesn't do any of the real work.  He also has no real sticking power once the going gets tough and he is needed to do some hard graft, which would be the case if this was to become a major ongoing event.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #636 on: September 10, 2017, 03:32:27 am »

I'm surprised that the IG didn't join or become a subsidiary wing of the Wounded Warrior Project, now that the WWP has cleaned up its financials. 

One big problem with IG is that they don't have the heavy donor base of military that the WWP has in the States.  It's hundreds of millions vs hundreds of thousands $.  But, with US outreach, it could maintain a healthier trajectory.  That requires work however, and commitment.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #637 on: September 10, 2017, 03:33:12 am »

^ ^ If it hadn't been for Harry the Invictus Games wouldn't have come into being at all. It was his idea for an International competition for wounded and maimed ex service personnel and according to everything I've read Harry worked his tail off to get it into being for that first London opening.

Harry founded the IG and it is his name that will forever be associated with it. He's ceaselessly promoted it ever since. It's financial viability, as I posted before, will be and has always been dependent on public support for wounded veterans and continuing funding.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:35:11 am by Rosella » Logged
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #638 on: September 10, 2017, 04:23:37 am »

If Harry actually cared, he could turn this into an established games that would be on par with the Olympics and clearly Harry isn't interested in hard work or anything. He's clearly uninterested in building anything and frankly, that he actually did something with his time isn't unique or make him cool. He is in fact throwing away something that he could build on par with the Prince's Trust and this doesn't make him cool, this makes him a flake. He's just idle and a dilettante and he's clearly not at all interested in keeping the games going for real and giving the disabled soldiers something to look forward to, to benefit from mentally and emotionally, and he clearly wants to hook up with something more established where he can get kudos, but not work for it. Diana had to work hard to get AIDS accepted as mainstream and something that should be treated. Meanwhile Harry can't be bothered to stick to something and make it his own.

I'm surprised that the IG didn't join or become a subsidiary wing of the Wounded Warrior Project, now that the WWP has cleaned up its financials. 
One big problem with IG is that they don't have the heavy donor base of military that the WWP has in the States.  It's hundreds of millions vs hundreds of thousands $.  But, with US outreach, it could maintain a healthier trajectory.  That requires work however, and commitment.

Exactly and Harry clearly just wants to continue going on a joyride through life. As the granddaughter of veterans on both sides of my parents, I can honestly say that this kind of makes me steaming mad. Clearly this doesn't mean anything much to him and he's just dropping disabled veterans back to the gutter with no thought of how this might in fact hurt vulnerable, lonely vets. It isn't something that has to be too grand, but it is something that will take time to generate interest in. I do believe that if he had the self respect, he would stick to this and have the decency to spend his days with a team and figure out how to keep this going financially as well. Harry really disgusts me, he really does. Now that he has hit a point where the novelty wears off, he chooses to drop it. He could become a seasoned professional and could do this as part of his regular routine while doing other duties, but instead he pulls the plug on it, the selfish git.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #639 on: September 10, 2017, 04:39:52 am »

He didn't just 'chose to drop it'. It was never intended to go past 2020 - that was the initial intention, if it could make it that far. It never really captured the interest of the general public and that is why it is being wound up as planned and on schedule.

Could it have been bigger - maybe but how many people, outside of royal followers and some veterans have ever even heard of it.

The only time I have ever seen it mentioned is in relation to Harry and that is one of the reasons why it hasn't got any legs. It doesn't garner publicity or interest on its own which is sad for the veterans, particularly those who were wounded in the pursuit of their government's interests.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: