Royal Gossip
November 17, 2017, 11:01:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Invictus Games  (Read 70575 times)
Aquitaine
Baroness

« on: March 06, 2014, 10:52:05 am »

"Harry launches injured troops games

"Prince Harry has launched a Paralympic-style sporting championship for injured servicemen and women.

"Prince Harry has launched a Paralympic-style sporting championship for injured servicemen and women.

"Harry has been working to bring the event to the UK after flying to the US last year to see members of Britain's Armed Forces taking part in a similar competition, the Warrior Games.

"At the official launch held in the Copper Box arena at the former Olympic Park in London the prince declared the competition, called the Invictus Games, would "have a long-lasting impact" on those who fought for their country."

Source: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/harry-launches-injured-troops-games-30068803.html

There's more info on Twitter - the main corporate sponsors are Jaguar Land Rover (not Virgin, which I am genuinely surprised about), who also sponsor Zara Phillips and yes, the MoD is also involved, although I'm not sure how much of the costs will be shouldered by the UK govt.

The official Twitter account is @invictuslondon

Glad to see that he's been working after all (although the cynic in me thinks that most of the work was done by his staff/aides, but it's definitely something).

Also quite like that they've renamed/rebranded the Warrior Games - it gives them the chance to forge their own identity.
rice
royal watcher

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:14:03 am »

Great job, Harry!  thumbsup

I love the video. http://invictusgames.org/

He has been pictured visiting sporting facilities in the last couple of weeks... so...
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »

Prince Harry launches British version of US Paralympic style games for injured war heroes: 'It was such a good idea by the Americans - we nicked it'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2574648/Prince-Harry-launched-Paralympic-style-sporting-championship-injured-servicemen-women.html#ixzz2vBdlxt19
camilapitanga
Countess

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:38:46 pm »

I think is a great cause and clerally can make his image better IF ONLY hes seeing dedicating to it anyway wich he havent yet.Its a cause he always showed interest in in the past but latelly seriouslly i dont even know anymore.Guy ahs changed so much is hard to tell but well see
Call me cynic but i dont believe he has done 1% of a thing yet.But anywya he still has until sep. to work on something well see  shifty
If he manages to balance the too much partying, travelling and time off for him and nights out at the theather again and again with his hard working theather manager gf and theyre weekeds off and start to develop such events and work hard on it maybe he will convince some.Otheriwse it dont matter what happens he will simply show off there and smile, take some pics a la cambridges and leave thats how i see it so far  eating cookies
Im sorry if i sound negative i reallt hope to be positive in the end but Harry has disapointed me so mcuh from last year to now that i just dont have any positive opinion left for him.Whenever i look at what he became and what he has done and old pics of him i just think how such a lier and fake he is.I just cant see the natural nice guy with that sincere genuine care and smile he used to have.is anotehr person so im not really putting much hope on this.

But well see anyway sigh

Obviouslly is a peersonal view.Thats all.Hope noone fan or not feel offended Feel free to disagree.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:43:35 pm by camilapitanga » Logged
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:42:49 pm »

Good for him ,and here's hoping the soldiers get the support from the public for the games/life .cause it's really sad to hear some of the stories when they come from war some of them don't have jobs ,family or a home to go back to.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:46:55 pm by Fly on the wall » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
camilapitanga
Countess

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 01:55:39 pm »

thumbsup
Its a great cause and sure touchs people.I think it will receive lots of support.

But im on hold about Harry being envolved on it.As ive said i at least dont trust harrys work and genuine feelings anymore.I just cant see him like the same as he used to.theres something about him thatw ent off for me at least.I think hes on automatic button and doing things just to be well seen as a royal as he brothes does anyway.as many says he lost the spark.I just dont see naturality in him anymore.So to me right now it will depend a lot on how he will be envolved with it and in the whole process since hes now ONLY with the preparation of such events as far as i know.So far there havent been anyhting from him working on it.But well see with time how he will deal with it.As ive said he will ahv to work on something eventually at some point.I dont think is coicnidence that as the cambridges tour approaches harrys also is put on evidence and required to show some working  thumbsup  He just has to start showing thats all.
CarryingOn
Duchess

http://media.tumblr.com/6fa12932f6e3affcfb7d37c57f

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:35:01 pm »

This is excellent. Congrats to Harry!
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 02:46:18 pm »

Go Harry !!!  thumbsup  flirt
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:10:35 pm »

thumbsup
Its a great cause and sure touchs people.I think it will receive lots of support.

But im on hold about Harry being envolved on it.As ive said i at least dont trust harrys work and genuine feelings anymore.I just cant see him like the same as he used to.theres something about him thatw ent off for me at least.I think hes on automatic button and doing things just to be well seen as a royal as he brothes does anyway.as many says he lost the spark.I just dont see naturality in him anymore.So to me right now it will depend a lot on how he will be envolved with it and in the whole process since hes now ONLY with the preparation of such events as far as i know.So far there havent been anyhting from him working on it.But well see with time how he will deal with it.As ive said he will ahv to work on something eventually at some point.I dont think is coicnidence that as the cambridges tour approaches harrys also is put on evidence and required to show some working  thumbsup  He just has to start showing thats all.

thumbsup
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 03:52:59 pm »

So stupid Question is this Prince Harry's new job details putting this together or did he do this in his spear time? although if he's working like the press is claiming then when did he have free time to put this all together?

it's good and all to have this brought to the UK but my question is a valid one and I highly doubt that Prince Harry pulled this all together all by himself so the people who worked with him on this should be praised in this too...just not prince harry alone
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 04:02:06 pm »

I would bet Harry did very little of the work needed to pull this off. All I can see is a few decisions behind the scene and he visited some buildings.
CarryingOn
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »

Obviously he didn't pull it all together himself. That's pretty much implied seeing as no one is Superman. All big events require many people to put in time and effort, playing their small part and at the same time, working in conjunction to make the whole run as a well oiled machine. Praise is not a part of any person's contract and I sincerely doubt any of the people who put in work behind the scenes is crying into their cereal bowls because they didn't get any praise. Not to mention, it's a two way street of protection: Individuals may not get praised but none of those people will be flamed if the event doesn't turn out properly.
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 05:14:39 pm »

No surprise here Harry will never get any credit ... other than that ... who said he pulled it all by himself?
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 05:21:00 pm »

This new job of Harry's is just like Williams SAR job. It is there if he chooses to show up but if not then there is always someone to do the work required. Like it or not it is what it is.   shifty
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 05:42:10 pm »

I agree snokitty Cool..this is just like it...PH has time to go to lunch, make royal apperances, accomplish these games...goes out for dinner twice a week....goes to the theatre...most people who actually work for a living are usually to tired to get all dolled up to go out after a long hard days work....and the press makes it sound as if Prince Harry accomplished this all by himself yet most of us know he hasn't but again Prince Harry because of who he is getting all the credit for it...no mention of anyone else...so yes the press makes Prince Harry out to be superman.

CarryingOn
Duchess

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 07:55:34 pm »

So what. The press will do what they do which is go with the story that's going to sell the best and again. I don't know what world you live in, but plenty of people find the time to go out twice a week or more for dinner, theater, and whatever else, even if they worked. It's not that strenuous, you don't have to get dolled up to do so, and that's how restaurants and theaters STAY in business b/c I'm sure it's not a bunch of broke or minimum wage 20-something yr old college students and weekly allowance teenagers that are keeping them in business 365 days a year. And once again Harry's name is on the line when it comes to these games. When these individuals have enough balls to put their name on the line than they can get as much praise as they want to until then, they'll have to contend with a job well done in private, if that. That's that's the way business works.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:15:32 pm »

I am wondering - why wasn't this event and his appearance at it announced on his schedule?  Why did it not get more coverage?  We are hearing about it after the kick off event -

At any rate - it is obvious this has been in the works for longer than his "new" job announcement was made - takes time to pull this together - even the video - which is very good and well done - took some time. 

Of course there are loads of other people behind the scenes who made this happen - but he did have the idea and got it going.  So his rehabilitation of the image trip to the US did have a worthwhile result after all.

I did notice though the reports do not list the US as a competitor - perhaps just an oversight.

The body language in the pic of him and Boris Johnson is hysterical - could they get any further from each other?  I'd think Boris would be Harry's kind of guy.

So the gov is putting up a million, the MoD is putting up money and Harry's foundation is also  funding it.  Then Land Rover - I am glad it is not Branson again.  But then again - Land Rover does sell to the military - so they should support this.

I liked his speech - the ideas in it - in that - this is not just about a sporting event - it is about reminding people that even if the war is over the personal struggle of these disabled vets goes on.  I have been reading personal testimony on a site from vets in the UK and the trouble they have getting jobs and even housing.  So if this can keep those problems in people's minds too - then that is really great.

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 08:40:59 pm »

Peter Hunt‏@BBCPeterHunt·
Prince Harry will be on tonight's #TheOneShow talking to Matt Baker and @MissAlexjones about @InvictusLondon . pic.twitter.com/iM6CEGwVrH
https://twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/status/441590055493447680/photo/1

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:34 pm »

He's in military fatigues here. He wants to be taken seriously so he's been behaving himself by being seen with the child at the theatre and dinner on "dates" with others in the group. The pretense of keeping up appearances must be killing him. He looks a bit tired.

Prince Harry launches British version of US Paralympic style games for injured war heroes: 'It was such a good idea by the Americans - we nicked it'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2574648/Prince-Harry-launched-Paralympic-style-sporting-championship-injured-servicemen-women.html

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:37:00 pm by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 12:09:49 am »

So what. The press will do what they do which is go with the story that's going to sell the best and again. I don't know what world you live in, but plenty of people find the time to go out twice a week or more for dinner, theater, and whatever else, even if they worked. It's not that strenuous, you don't have to get dolled up to do so, and that's how restaurants and theaters STAY in business b/c I'm sure it's not a bunch of broke or minimum wage 20-something yr old college students and weekly allowance teenagers that are keeping them in business 365 days a year. And once again Harry's name is on the line when it comes to these games. When these individuals have enough balls to put their name on the line than they can get as much praise as they want to until then, they'll have to contend with a job well done in private, if that. That's that's the way business works.

Now Harry is "normal" just like every other working person. Harry is no more "normal" than William is.    bored3
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: