Royal Gossip
December 14, 2017, 08:25:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry VIII & Wives  (Read 65844 times)
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2013, 11:45:35 am »

I wonder how different things might have been if Henry hadn't married Katherine of Aragon, but had instead married a younger princess more around his own age (or younger). It might have changed things; he might have had more children, healthy children, and ended up with quite a few sons in the bargain. After seven wasted years over Katherine, he then waited a decade to marry Anne Boleyn, then wasting more years of his prime breeding time and while married to her, gained a ton of weight after his leg problems started and gave up jousting.

Actually, a lot of his excesses came from the fact that he was totally and completely obsessed to have a male heir and he blamed Catherine for not giving him the son(s) (for their sons being stillborn or dieing very very young). He was over the moon when Bessie Blount gave birth to a healthy son. It soothed his bruised male ego and proved to all people that there was nothing wrong with him and he could successfully father healthy children to secure the succession.

Yes; there was also the paranoid worry that God was displeased with him and nothing apparently sent Henry scurrying around in fear than the idea that God wasn't approving of anything he did or didn't approve of Harry in general.

Henry's disease that he passed on to his wives is what caused the stillborn and miscarriages so once again it was Henry's fault.
berlin
Countess

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »

Are you sure it was syphilis?  I've read that none of his medical records included anything about symptoms or treatments related to syphilis, like with mercury.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 05:21:23 pm »

^ There is a theory, based on medical evidence, that Henry was a carrier of syphilis as although such as Anne Boleyn became pregnant she had miscarriages and Edward was a sickly prince who died early and the common reason for that was syphilis. If you look back at Victorian/Edwardian death certificates of children and its says "failed to thrive" it was a euphemism for the effects of syphilis.

They could have kept it quiet after all the all powerful King of England couldn't be seen as anything other than perfect. That's just my suggestion.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:24:01 pm by True Brit » Logged

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
tequiero
courtier

I like to move it, move it :):):)

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2013, 05:30:54 pm »

Berlin, I quoted this message from the 1st page of this thread about Henry and his blood disorder. Maybe it'll clarify things somehow...

Harry-ite #6
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 02:06:39 am »

Preview of ‘Henry and Anne: The Lovers Who Changed History’

In the new Channel 5 series Henry and Anne: The Lovers Who Changed History historian Dr Suzannah Lipscomb delves into the world of possibly the most fascinating and contested royal relationship that our monarchy has ever seen – this being the courtship of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn.

In this two-part series, Dr Lipscomb will explore how this King fell so fiercely in love with a lady at court, and how this led to him going to such drastic extents to marry her. We are all too aware of the events that came about from this romance, including Henry VIII breaking with the Roman Catholic Church and the papacy, becoming the Head of the Church of England, and divorcing his devoted wife of around twenty years, Catherine of Aragon. However, in this series, Suzannah will investigate the background of these events in an attempt to unpick what political and personal reasons could have led Henry into consequently changing history forever. The question is, was it simply love, sheer devotion and infatuation between Henry and Anne which influenced the events leading to their marriage? Or are there more underlining factors that we have not yet considered? And, for such a notably impatient King, what made Henry drive towards these changes for so many years?

The first episode of this series will be broadcast on Channel 5 at 8pm on Thursday 20th February, and will be repeated on Channel 5+24 on Friday 21st February at 8pm

http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/royaltyinthemedia/preview-of-henry-and-anne-the-lovers-who-changed-history-23747
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:08:55 am by Fly on the wall » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:41 am »

TB was what did Edward in  - Tuberculosis was the "Tudor Disease" - Henry's older brother died of it too. 
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2016, 08:24:05 pm »

In 1541 King Henry VIII had a law introduced which banned all sports on Christmas Day except archery.     
  X-Mas_good-night X-Mas_good-night X-Mas_good-night X-Mas_good-night X-Mas_good-night X-Mas_good-night

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2017, 02:18:18 am »

King Henry VIII maintained a strong preference for the traditional Catholic ways during his reign. Few changes could be made to the practices of the Church of England.

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2017, 12:39:08 am »

If Queen Catherine of Aragon's son/sons had lived well into adulthood and Henry VIII had not divorced, would the Anglican Church of England have ever been formed? Henry VIII and Catherine were both Roman Catholics.

Really A Baron
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2017, 07:21:29 am »

I don't think so. Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon were both committed to their faith. Henry was instructed in the faith, as he was the second son and was going to be dedicated to the Church. Catherine was from a Spanish Catholic family. They were from different countries, but their faith was something they had in common and they bonded over it. Henry broke from the Catholic Church so he could get a divorce in hope of getting a legitimate male heir. He slept around during their marriage (not a nice thing to do, but understandable considering the pain of the loss of those five babies and also it was "normal" for a king to have mistresses), but it was only after Catherine stopped having her monthly cycles that he was thinking about a divorce.
Joanna
courtier

Isabella of Portugal, Holy Roman Empress

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2017, 09:03:11 pm »

Well, he did sleep around a lot. I've been taught that he created the Church of England so he could get a divorce, after the Pope refused to anull his marriage with Catalina de Aragón. I guess he was desperate for a male heir which is funny, because at university we've been taught that he likely suffered from syphilis and that's probably why only 3 children survived to adulthood.

Henry exhibited lots symptoms of syphillis. I know there's no mention to treatment with mercury, but it's not as if that would actually cure the illness, until antibiotics were discovered there was no way of effectively treating syphilis. Obviously there's no way to prove if he actually suffered from it so  dontknow dontknow His wive's miscarriages and even his son's reportedly sickly health also could be explained by an hereditary form of the disease. It's known that Elizabeth I was born with crescent lunar shaped teeth, also a telling sign. Mood swings (sometimes even madness) could easily be syphilis in it's terciary form and I seem to recall that both him and Elizabeth I suffered from it late in life.
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2017, 11:36:33 pm »

I never knew that. Amazing the knowledge possessed by fellow posters.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: