Royal Gossip
April 19, 2019, 09:54:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles and Camilla trip to Canada May 2014  (Read 18583 times)
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2014, 06:33:29 pm »

It's a complete slap in the face to those who put themselves truly at risk.

^^^^Oh, nooooo.  There are people working around the clock on diplomatic discussions, sanctions and all other things highly explosive on the world stage and this is not helpful at all, PC.  Think however you like but keep it to yourself and let those who are ELECTED do the real work. He has no business stirring the pot this way.  What a mistake this was.  Luckily, I don't believe that anything he says is taken all that seriously but it's a good reminder for him to keep his political views to himself.  That's not the royal's job in any way, shape or form.

This is going to make the Russians crazy; right now they're whipped into a frenzy of patriotism and this mouthing off will do horrendous damage. Russia sustained the most ongoing losses of WWII and in my view singly contributed to the draining of Nazi resources. Twenty million Russians died in that war and one thing makes me hugely proud is how the Russian Front became notorious as a death sentence for any German who was assigned to fight.

I'm also proud to know that the Russians didn't believe in taking hostages. They just popped them off and went on fighting. The BRF mainly stayed in safety and hid. No matter that HM was a mechanic, she didn't put herself half on the line as so many others did to fight on the front lines.

Putin to snub Prince Charles at D-Day commemoration after Royal compares Russian leader to Hitler and Palace refuses to deny 'private' comment

Vladimir Putin is to snub Prince Charles at next month's ceremony to mark the 70th anniversary of D-Day after the royal likened the Russian president to Adolf Hitler.
The future king had been expected to meet Mr Putin in France on June 6, but following his unguarded comment during a visit to the Canadian Museum of Immigration in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the pair will no longer be meeting. 
Clarence House have refused to deny his remarks and a spokesman said last night: 'We would not comment on private conversations. It was a private conversation at a reception for war veterans.'
The move came as a major Kremlin-loyal news source accused Prince Charles of risking an 'international scandal'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2635125/Putin-snub-Prince-Charles-D-Day-commemoration-Royal-compares-Russian-leader-Hitler.html

Peter Hunt@BBCPeterHunt
On Prince Charles @David_Cameron tells Radio 4's World at One "I'm not going to comment on the private conversation of anyone".

Good; I hope Charles gets carpeted for this from the public as well; who is he to mouth off, a man who couldn't even prevent his mistress from wrecking his marriage? When Charles says stuff like this, it isn't private; the man has no right to privacy. So who he to say anything about anyone, much less Putin?

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2014, 07:01:12 pm »

Clarence House@ClarenceHouse
Their Royal Highnesses and Prime Minister Harper throw paper aeroplanes at a target at Stevenson Hangar #TRHCanada
https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/status/469145877693874177/photo/1

TRH are now in the Pooh Gallery in Winnipeg #TRHCanada http://instagram.com/p/oRB1JUorbu/
http://instagram.com/p/oRB1JUorbu/#

Clarence House‏@ClarenceHouse·33m
Hudson the Polar Bear has just been fed his lunch by The Prince of Wales #Hudsonfilter #Instagram http://instagram.com/p/oRFhBLorRI/
http://instagram.com/p/oRFhBLorRI/#

The Prince of Wales is given a cuddly Winnie the Bear toy (the inspiration for Winnie the Pooh)… http://instagram.com/p/oRDKMkIrde/
http://instagram.com/p/oRDKMkIrde/#
Snowpea
Duchess

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2014, 04:48:34 am »

Prince Charles held us up in traffic. My bus was right at the hotel he must have been staying out.  Seriously, when I got through to my bus stop, his cavalcade went past and I think I saw him. Saw some man who reminded me of Prince Andrew and I thought, had to be him. Just about 7-8 black cars with a load of dignitaries, then.  easter-lol

I would love to see any pictures that would back this up.  Cool

Saw the Duke of E and Queen E a few years back, I was about 10 feet away when their car drove by. The Duke was closest to me.  Hi

Also, a few years back, Princess Anne showed up at my workplace, so just went out to see, and was pretty close when she walked by.  easter-lol

My brushes with royalty.  snob

Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2014, 10:12:39 am »

Cost of Prince Charles and Camilla's royal visit pegged at $721,000
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/04/cost-of-prince-charles-and-camillas-royal-visit-pegged-at-721000
The price to taxpayers for their whirlwind Canadian tour is $721,620 – minimum, according to documents released under federal Access to Information laws.

The cost breakdown doesn’t include RCMP or other agents tasked with providing security for the royal couple, which will increase the total cost to taxpayers considerably.

The documents, which were obtained by Ottawa researcher Ken Rubin, are estimates from April. It is unclear if costs have increased since then.

And while the Harper government cherishes the country’s ties to the British monarchy, it is also unclear if Canadians are interested in footing a $700,000 bill for Charles and Camilla’s second trip to Canada in as many years.

Just shuffling reporters around to take pictures of the smiling royals will cost $31,000.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2014, 02:46:36 pm »

^Wait a second.  Somebody else pays to haul reporters around for the RF?  I would think that would be each media owner's expense.  Since when do reporters get free transport to do their job?  If so, that's outrageous.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2014, 07:32:29 pm »

Yooper - they get free transport here in the US too - usually on Air Force One and then hired busses at the site
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2014, 07:40:07 pm »

^ALL of them?  I mean, like, when CNN goes to cover something that the Prez is doing, WE pay for them?  I don't think so.  I understand the Press Corps, that's always been that way, but the MSM? 

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2014, 07:42:11 pm »

I know the reporters do - I would think the TV ones since they have all that equipment travel with their own trucks? 

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2014, 07:49:47 pm »

^I really doubt this.  The US Press Corps is made up of reps from each media outlet and their costs are absorbed by their employers.  In some cases I suppose there is a chartered bus but that would be a clear case of partisanship and as much as most of our news outlets are slanted politically, there is no way the public would stand for a standing president or government to pay for their way.

From the NYT:

For decades it was a given that whenever the president traveled, a charter plane packed with members of the press would travel with him. But the press flights have been sharply curtailed in recent months, a victim of cost-cutting by news organizations that are struggling to stay profitable.

As a result, fewer reporters are tagging along with President Obama and his aides, limiting the number of news sources at a time when Americans are acutely interested in White House policies and personalities.

“The sole reason is money,” said Edwin Chen, the senior White House correspondent for Bloomberg News and the president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, who called the cutbacks alarming.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/24/business/media/24press.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Now, things might be different with the British royals who seem to have the media slam dunked in their back pocket but boy, I don't ever recall there being any standard issue of monies paid from the gov to the media. 

cate1949
Princess

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2014, 08:01:56 pm »

Yooper I know someone whose son was a reporter and covered Romney during the campaign - if he wrote anything too critical of Romney or asked difficult questions - he would be thrown off the bus the campaign provided to the reporters.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2014, 08:32:20 pm »

^That would not shock me and there are rabid supporters on both sides.  We have a ton of horror stories about Obama's campaign people as well.  Ugly business and you have to have picture or audio evidence to smack 'em down but I still don't think we pay for the press to travel, eat or sleep.  Do I think they get 'gifts'?  Oh, yes, but the balance sheets will reveal that USA Today, NYT, and so on will be paying for their selected Correspondent.

As long as charities get proper coverage, all of this showboating is fine with me.  What, exactly, was the purpose of this visit to Canada again?  Does Canada get anything out of the deal?  Hope so.

Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2014, 10:00:10 pm »

when Charles and Camilla were in Canada... our local Newspaper didn't cover them at all...no front pages...small city of less than 77,000
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: