Royal Gossip
May 26, 2017, 10:20:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Overdoing the *critical objection*s ???  (Read 1527 times)
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« on: January 08, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »

I get that the forum needs to censor offensive language but lately a lot of what I consider non-offensive words have been deleted with *critical objection* written instead.  For me, it disrupts the flow of the discussions.  It has even happened to someone's signature.

The word I'm referring to starts with H then goes A then T then E.  I think as adults we can handle reading that word without finding it offensive.  Is there some way the settings on this thing could be adjusted to let such words through again?  What do others think about this?

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:01 pm »

H   A    T  E  is a strong word so since we're adults maybe we can use words like dislike or loathe, detest, despise, abhor, execrate

because I for one do not like being called a Kate Hat er nor a Cressi Ha ter to me that is offensive and disrespectful to the persons
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 12:07:01 am »

Are we adults or kids who need to be reminded of our manners?  Because if we are indeed adults, there are times that only the word "h.a.t.e." comes to mind.

I've been on boards where words were censored...some boards the language was rather free.  I prefer to be treated like an adult..and if I want to use the word. h.a.t.e. I should be allowed to do so.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:01:08 am »

I was just getting tiered of the over usage of the word in the whole Harry Cressi vs Chelsy debate corner
So I put it on censor to show how often we use that term although non of use wants to be seen as a 'ha.ter'
besides I put a notice about it in 'the rules' about ten day's ago there's a list of the censored terms there, but maybe I should replace the *despise* term  with 'dislike' or 'despise' in stead?
I agree that 'critical objection' sound stuffy but it made you notice it, no?
Mission accomplished from where I'm sitting  Cool tehe

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 01:47:25 am »

I read the rules btw  Embarrassed

thumbsup exactly akasha  that word is used an awful lot  eating cookies
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:49:18 am by Nighthawk » Logged
Stargazer
courtier

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:51 am »

I despise the word ha.te tehe

Seriously though, I think it is a very strong word. We are all flawed, some a lot more than others (well maybe except for me)...joking...and i think  there is far too much hat.ing going on. Please don't ha.te me for saying this!  flower flower
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 08:03:27 am »

I have a problem with censoring people's freedom to speak - I agree the word is overused and there are certainly substitutes for expressing dislike but censoring a word whihc is not vulgar or profane seems a step too far.

Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:34:45 am »

I do not overuse this word, and I think people might be being a touch sensitive if they find it offensive.  Freedom of speech is an important principle.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: