Royal Gossip
May 24, 2017, 03:14:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royalty: Q&A  (Read 26414 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2012, 06:39:52 pm »

There is a place in the forum to ask random questions http://royalgossip.forumprofi.de/index.php/topic,718.0.html  flower

so I'm merging this thread

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thtregoddess11
courtier

« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2012, 08:17:07 pm »

Prince Andrew will be Duke of York until his death and Harry will probably get a Dukedom when he marries. I'm not sure, but if is the wish of the sovereign, Harry will change dukedoms when Andrew passes away.

It's like what will happen with Edward. It's said that upon the death of Prince Philip, he will keep the title of Duke of Edimbourg and no longer be known as Earl of Wessex.

Prince Edward will only gain the title Duke of Edinburgh if whomever is on the throne at the time decides to give it to him after Queen Elizabeth & Prince Phillip BOTH die...and if Charles is on the throne, there will be minimal royals working (probably him, Camilla, William, Catherine, Harry, Harry's wife), so it might just get given to the crown again.

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2012, 09:09:05 pm »

goodpost

thtregoddess11

Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2012, 09:11:42 pm »

Quick question...I already asked about titles regarding marriage between Harry and a European princess. Now, if that were to happen, how do you think they would work out royal duties, and holidays with the family? Would she spend Christmas with the BRF, or would Harry spend it with hers? Easter? etc?

Christmas has always been with The Queen, but times are changing, so who really can say for sure.

Personally I do not Harry marrying a Princess.

Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2012, 09:15:19 pm »

PW only told HM two hours before the announcement that he intended to marry WK, that he had already proposed to her and that he was about to make it public.
The correct procedure would have been to discuss his marriage plans with HM before proposing to WK.

hmmm may we have a source for that please.

I have never actually believed the above "rumour".

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2012, 10:07:56 pm »

It was in many articles around the engagement, although I read at that time that the Queen knew it would happened that year but didn't know when so it was kinda a surprised but not a big one.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2012, 10:34:36 pm »

Well as far as I remember it was the press that was given a two hours notice about the conference that was about to happen, it was a surprise for most of them.
Nothing was ever mentioned about notice towards family members, I think they knew something was up in the bush for a few weeks at least.
Never the less the press conference was a rush job.
They didn't give the family any heads up warning them on spontaneous questions for the day itself. (I still find it odd that Charles was out on a royal visit on the day of the announcement)
Most of them had a 'deer caught in spotlight' look on their face when they were asked to react. (which explains some of the answers and statements)

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2012, 10:37:26 pm »

I think the most surprising reaction in my opinion was Prince Harry's, he didn't believe at all that it had happened.

Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2012, 02:18:12 am »

dontknow  OooOOOooh

TLLK
royal watcher

« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2012, 11:45:56 pm »

PW only told HM two hours before the announcement that he intended to marry WK, that he had already proposed to her and that he was about to make it public.
The correct procedure would have been to discuss his marriage plans with HM before proposing to WK.

hmmm may we have a source for that please.

I have never actually believed the above "rumour".
From what I have read William informed the senior royals that he'd planned to propose to Kate within 2010.
TLLK
royal watcher

« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:05 pm »

A silver one after 25 years maybe, but gold would be rare and diamond nearly not existing.
Because the heirs are usually over forty before they end up on the throne
Let's have a look for Europe
GB: Elizabeth: born in 1926 became queen in '52                   at 26yo reigning since 59 years
Belgium: Albert born in 1934 became king in '93                     at 63yo reigning since 18 years
Netherlands: Beatrix born in 1938 became queen in '80         at 42yo reigning since 31 years
Denmark: Margaretha: born in 1940 became queen in '72      at 32yo reigning since 39 years
Sweden: Carl-Gustav: born in 1946 became king in '73           at 27yo reigning since 39 years
Norway: Harald born in 1937 became king in '91                     at 54yo reigning since 20 years
Monaco: Albert born in 1952 became prince in '05                   at 53yo reigning since 6 years
Spain: Juan-Carlos born in 1938 became king in '75                at 37yo reigning since 36 years

I never heard of any silver jubilee celebrations in the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden or Spain
Nor did I ever hear of any jubilee for our former Belgian king Boudewijn.
I guess they just don't celebrate it dontknow

There were celebrations in 2005 for Beatrix's silver jubilee. Margrethe and Carl Gustaf celebrated their silver jubilees in 1998 and 1997 respectively, but I'm not sure about any public celebrations. The King of Thailand who is the world's longest reigning monarch had a large celebration for his jubilee.
royalfanPKLS
courtier

« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2012, 05:37:13 am »

Or is she just one them. Considering she's just in her eighties and still going strong and her mom lived until the age of 101, I get a feeling she'll probably do the same and outlive Phillip even. But of course English history is littered with monarchs who died in the 50s or 60s, sometimes earlier.

"Sometimes I think I was born backwards. You know, come out my mum the wrong way. I hear words go past me backwards. The people I should love, I *despise*. And the people I *despise*…”
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2012, 08:32:46 am »

The Queen is the oldest British monarch.  She is not yet the longest serving.  That title goes to Queen Victoria.

Charles is not yet the oldest heir to the throne.  William IV was the oldest to assume the crown at 64.  Charles will overtake him soon.  William was 64 years and 309 days.  Charles is currently 63 so will become the oldest to assume the throne if he does so on or after 17th September 2013 (I may be out by a day or so in either direction as Maths has never been my strongest subject).  Charles is however the oldest person to hold the title Prince of Wales.  William IV was not created Prince of Wales by his older brother.

William will become the oldest to be created Prince of Wales if he is created PoW on or after 28th November, 2018.  George V was 36 years 159 days when created PoW in 1901.
Grace and Diana Fan
Baroness

« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2012, 02:35:39 pm »

What Would Be The Official Title Of A Male Consort In Russia?

For instance, let's just say the roles of Nicholas and Alexandra were reversed; she was Empress Regnant, and he, the consort as her spouse. He wouldn't be known as Emperor Consort, so what would his official title have been? Would it have been Grand Duke?

flower
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2013, 08:17:13 pm »

The church in which the two daughters of the Duke got married is a Catholic church so I would assume that the Percy's are Catholic but the 11th Duke, elder brother of the present Duke, was a godchild of Queen Elizabeth and I doubt that she would stand sponsor in a Catholic baptism.
Furthermore the Duke attended Eton and if Catholic he woud have attended Ampleforth like the Norfolks and other high profile Catholics.
And then there was the mother of the Duke, a daughter of the Duke of Buccleuch and niece of Princess Alice of Gloucester who most certainly wasn't a Catholic because the Duke of Gloucester remained in the line of succession.

So I am at a loss. Were they CoE and became Catholic later on? Or is the wife of the Duke Catholic and they have an understanding that the daughters are raised Catholic and the sons in the CoE. Arrangements like that are not uncommon in mixed religious marriages.
Venus De Milo
courtier

« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:14 pm »

Yes I believe that the Percy family is catholic, but I don't know for sure like in the case of the Howard family.
The VII Earl of Northumberland was executed for treason, he was the leader of the rebellion "The rising of the North" they were also involved in the gunpowder plot. Both these events were well after the reformation.
They seem to attend Catholic services, I remember that the remembrance day service that Pippa took part in was at a Catholic church.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:45:16 pm by Venus De Milo » Logged
Scoops
courtier

« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2013, 09:06:31 pm »

They are not Catholics. The church where Katie and Missy was married is CoE - St. Michael's in Alnwick. http://www.alnwickanglican.com/

The Catholic church in Alnwick is St. Paul's http://www.stpauls-alnwick.co.uk/  That is where the community Remembrance Day service was held in 2011 - the one Pippa attended with the family.  The Alnwick Remembrance service moves around from one church to the other.
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2013, 09:11:57 pm »

According to the DM, the wedding was at St. Mary's. And this is confusing because the church of St. Michael is also named St. mary, but I undstand that is also a Catholic church.
Scoops
courtier

« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2013, 09:15:19 pm »

There was a lot of joking among the Northumbrians who were posting comments on the page that the name of the church was not St. Mary's but St. Michael's.  The church was originally dedicated to both Saints.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Michael%27s_Church,_Alnwick

However it is normally called St. Michael's which is a short walk from the castle.  You can see the local paper get the name right here

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/local-news/video-wedding-guests-leave-the-church-service-1-5793690

A stream of guests leave St Michael’s Church on Saturday after the wedding of Lady Melissa Percy and Thomas van Staubenzee.

St. Paul's used to be an Anglican church as well and the Catholics worshipped in what is now the Baliffgate Museum which had a small church dedicated to St. Mary.  Then St. Paul's was turned over to the Catholics as there was not so much need for 2 Anglican churches.

https://sites.google.com/site/inspiredalnwick/st-paul-s-roman-catholic-church
I can certainly see how you could get confused.  But no the Percy's have not been Catholic since the 16th century.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:22:33 pm by Scoops » Logged
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2013, 05:51:05 am »

Thanks for clearing that up.  thankyou
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: