Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 09:25:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles & Diana Parenting style  (Read 6191 times)
sandy
Princess

« on: January 01, 2014, 05:03:12 pm »

I think Charles though no Einstein shows an interest in issues. He should have encouraged his sons to take more of an interest in world events (and not just sports).
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »

^

Chuck and Di should have worked out a schooling plan where the boys would have learned multiple languages while growing up. 
india
Princess

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:06:04 am »

Too busy fighting to focus on that.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:23:13 am »

Exactly; Diana was busy with her bulimia, Andrew Morton and Charles was busy with self pity and Camilla.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 06:30:22 am »

they went to the best schools in the UK - and those schools do teach languages - it is required at Eton - so how can they not speak any other language??

Will seems to speak French with a bad accent - don't know about Harry - but seriously - did they sleep through all that schooling?
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 06:34:44 am »

They do, but really, no posh school would flunk a prince.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
india
Princess

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:46:02 am »

I'm going to throw up. 
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 02:47:43 pm »

I've read that Harry had dyslexia but although his cousin Beatrice's problem was found out very soon, he didn't know until his late teenage years which doesn't make sense at all to me. I think he was simply not book oriented neither was William but he was made to go to college. 

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 11:08:17 pm »

I've read that Harry had dyslexia but although his cousin Beatrice's problem was found out very soon, he didn't know until his late teenage years which doesn't make sense at all to me. I think he was simply not book oriented neither was William but he was made to go to college. 

that amazes me always has - it was so obvious that Harry had a learning disability - and with all their resources - they did not get it diagnosed or addressed?  That is the sort of thing that should be picked up when they are 5 or so - were the teachers afraid to tell Charles or Diana or did C and D just ignore it?  This is why Harry wasn't book oriented or a good student - he could not read!  Heard a story that Harry was talking with a student at Eton who was speaking of how hard it is to be last in a particular class - Harry's response was - how about being last in your school?  So sad - what a family.  Harry also seems to me to be on the hyperactive side.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 11:16:33 pm »

^With Beatrice having the same problem I cannot believe that no one thought about Harry. Not his parents, courtiers, teachers... No one realised he couldn't read? It sounds ridiculous.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:11 pm »

were the teachers afraid to tell Charles or Diana or did C and D just ignore it?

some parents just ignore it, and they dont want to believe their child have a learning disability.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 12:31:44 am »

^With Beatrice having the same problem I cannot believe that no one thought about Harry. Not his parents, courtiers, teachers... No one realised he couldn't read? It sounds ridiculous.

Diana passed on when Harry was 12. I think she would have done something about it had she lived. Dad was very busy promoting Camilla and unfortunately put his sons second. I don't think Harry's case was so severe that he could not read. By all indications he could.

I do think Diana would have been very proactive with Harry had she lived. And maybe Charles would have been encouraged to pay more attention too if both parents were around. Camilla IMO could not have cared less.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 12:35:59 am »

No one expects Camilla to do so. But it is still surprising that no one cared at all. Not even the teachers? I find that sad.

I've always had the feeling that both Waleses boys were lonely since Diana died, however, that nobody took time to think about Harry's educational problems sounds tragic.

Glitterknickers
royal watcher

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 12:50:16 am »

It wouldn't be the first time that members of the RF closed their eyes to things they didn't want to see. Of course dyslexia has nothing to do with upbringing, but I imagine there was also a lot of spin to show that Upchuck had brought up his sons as flawless beings despite the absence of Diana.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 12:54:00 am »

The boys needed two parents--divorce notwithstanding they could have worked together. I think Charles and Diana could have worked together on ensuring the boys had a good education, more focus on their future roles instead of staggering out of night clubs. One thing they could have done for WIlliam was to send him abroad for a semester and also giving the boys a sort of apprenticeship heading up a charity
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 01:20:19 am »

sorry - I did not mean Harry could not read - but rather that for a kid with dyslexia or a learning disability - reading is a struggle - not pleasureable - and extracting meaning from what you read is very hard.  So Harry gets a rep as being the dumb one - which then just leads to more problems - acting out  etc.  Most of all - it turns him off learning.  He is fortunate in that he was good at sports so he could find a place for himself there as well as a source of self esteem.

Diana did not want him to go to Eton - so to me that is the one big thing her death affected - she would have chosen a different perhaps better school for him.  I guess his father took the easy way out or maybe he did not understand what a struggle it was for Harry.  But Eton was a disaster for him.

Yes - two lonely boys.  I think it was Harry who said in an interview that it was just him and Will after his mother died.
Very telling statement.

Yes both Will and Harry should have spent time abroad - Will should have been sent to a university for a year or to work in an embassy.  That would have finished Kate off - which may be why it never happened.  Harry could easily still spend time abroad - military exchanges are common between the US and the UK as well as all the NATO countries.

sandy
Princess

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 01:25:27 am »

Will should have been sent to a Uni in the US for a semester at least. And chosen a major other than art history or geography. Get interested in politics and history.
for
I think Diana would have encouraged Harry to try for a Uni.

Both should have been given apprenticeships on some charity and have some responsibilities.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 03:36:14 am »

The boys needed two parents--divorce notwithstanding they could have worked together. I think Charles and Diana could have worked together on ensuring the boys had a good education, more focus on their future roles instead of staggering out of night clubs. One thing they could have done for WIlliam was to send him abroad for a semester and also giving the boys a sort of apprenticeship heading up a charity

Too bad both parents were out fighting for the role of martyr of the divorce; both would have surely ended up better off if their parents had behaved better.

Stargazer
courtier

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:56 am »

So true KF  thumbsup

Growing up in this family would have involved a lot of unnecessary stress.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 05:45:16 pm »

Yet, no matter how bad it got, William and Harry could have formed their own joint household by eighteen if they had wanted and created their own stable environment. It's not like they were without the resources or would have had to go into foster care. They could have taken their trust funds (or asked HM to help out) and lived in one of the many cottages or mansions on the estate so this isn't something that couldn't have been easily resolved if things got to be too much.

As for Diana and Charles, both are guilty of trying to be the Eternal Victim when it came not just to each other, but about life in general. Both had as perfect a life as anyone can dream, but go figure, both determinedly destroyed it since being miserable is there preference.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: