Royal Gossip
May 26, 2017, 12:58:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poll
Question: so what's your home base?
Europe - 33 (34%)
North America - 36 (37.1%)
Central America & South America - 4 (4.1%)
Down Under & land of the Kiwi's - 8 (8.2%)
Africa - 3 (3.1%)
Asia - 4 (4.1%)
Outer space! - 9 (9.3%)
Total Voters: 86

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where do you come from?  (Read 26120 times)
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2012, 06:39:38 am »

welcome2 Dayana and Christina01!  Enjoy.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
christina01
courtier

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:24 am »

Thank you precious  Hi
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2012, 05:21:58 pm »

PNG?
sound like a cool place to grow up thumbsup
that is...are there as many toxic animals in the tropic forest as in Australian bush?
I mean like icky spiders, snakes, lizards, Australia has a fair share of those. sob
Is it true that there are still cannibalistic tribes living in PNG?

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
christina01
courtier

« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2012, 01:52:11 pm »

Yep, New Guinea was a great place to grow up until independance. Then it became quite dangerous. We lived behind six foot barbed wire fences and four dogs roamed the yard, but prior to that life there was great. Beaches, islands, rivers, the good life. Yes we had snakes etc in New Guinea, but believe it or not Aus has worse ones!!  flower
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »

I heard that Aus is one of the most dangerous country's in the world due to the concentration of highly venomous animals!
Even the platypus (that odd animal that looks like across between a duck and a beaver) is toxic!
anyway...
The fact that you remember the country before the independence tell's me that you're not a teenager tehe  easter-wink

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2012, 07:19:19 pm »

^^That's really neat and interesting C01!  Do you live in Australia now?  I'm working on field notes for a herpetologist for the Nat Museum and just reading about the creepy crawlies makes me jumpy.  We don't even have mosquitoes in the beach communities of SoCal.  In fact, window screens are an oddity.  Inland?  Different story. 

Scary!!!!

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Acornia
Countess

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2012, 01:43:56 am »

Platypi (platypodes?) are toxic??  sob They're so cute...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2012, 02:10:15 am »

yup the males have claws on there back paws that are toxic
According to wiki
Venom
Main article: Platypus venom
The calcaneus spur found on the male's hind limb is used to deliver venom.
While both male and female platypuses are born with ankle spurs, only the male has spurs which produce a cocktail of venom,[23][24][25] composed largely of defensin-like proteins (DLPs), three of which are unique to the platypus.[26] The defensin proteins are produced by the immune system of the platypus. Although powerful enough to kill smaller animals such as dogs, the venom is not lethal to humans, but is so excruciating that the victim may be incapacitated.[26][27] Oedema rapidly develops around the wound and gradually spreads throughout the affected limb. Information obtained from case histories and anecdotal evidence indicates the pain develops into a long-lasting hyperalgesia (a heightened sensitivity to pain) that persists for days or even months.[28][29] Venom is produced in the crural glands of the male, which are kidney-shaped alveolar glands connected by a thin-walled duct to a calcaneus spur on each hind limb. The female platypus, in common with echidnas, has rudimentary spur buds which do not develop (dropping off before the end of their first year) and lack functional crural glands.[11]
The venom appears to have a different function from those produced by nonmammalian species: its effects are not life-threatening to humans, but nevertheless powerful enough to seriously impair the victim. Since only males produce venom and production rises during the breeding season, it may be used as an offensive weapon to assert dominance during this period.[26]

christina01
courtier

« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2012, 03:57:27 pm »

I admit to being in my forties  tehe. Aus has toxic animals easter-lol, but they dont lay in wait for you. Even venemous snakes would rather just slither off. They arent just sitting around waiting to bite. You do have to be aware of them, and be careful, that's all. We know no different I guess.

Yes I am in Australia now. It is a pretty good place to live. Don't forget the sun and surf  flower
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

Aaaah, yes, the surf.  Oddly, surfers practice at the break by my house because it's as close as they can get to the epic breaks in Australia.  Some of the best breaks in the world, I'm told.

christina01
courtier

« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2012, 04:34:05 pm »

Where are u from Yooper?  flower
Perfume
gossip insider

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 07:03:18 am »

Am I the only South African on this site  Cool Cool Cool

Helping people in need is a good and essential part of my life, a kind of destiny. HIV does not make people dangerous to know, so you can shake their hands and give them a hug: Heaven knows they need it.Princess Diana
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 09:24:59 am »

Nope there is one other...
I remember admitting two ppl from SA one from johannesburg area and one from capetown area
but I don't know who's who dontknow

Perfume
gossip insider

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:26 am »

Nope there is one other...
I remember admitting two ppl from SA one from johannesburg area and one from capetown area
but I don't know who's who dontknow
Cool, both live in two different provinces in SA....thanks for the response.

Helping people in need is a good and essential part of my life, a kind of destiny. HIV does not make people dangerous to know, so you can shake their hands and give them a hug: Heaven knows they need it.Princess Diana
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2012, 08:57:54 am »

According to the Internet (which is so reliable  easter-wink) my mother's family is Irish aristocracy.  On her side I am Irish, British, and Polynesian.  On my father's side I am German and Cherokee Indian. 

Lothwen,

Were you aware that Diana had Irish ancestry on the Fermoy side. Goes back a long way.
JuneBug
Countess

« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2012, 07:50:34 am »

Perfume, another SA person checking in. Not originally from SA but I now stay in Durban / Pietermaritzburg area. 

“The first thing you lose on a diet is your sense of humour.” ~Unknown
Perfume
gossip insider

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:33 am »

Perfume, another SA person checking in. Not originally from SA but I now stay in Durban / Pietermaritzburg area. 
Hey there June, I live in Durban as well blink)

JuneBug
Countess

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2012, 04:57:20 pm »

Koooool Cool

“The first thing you lose on a diet is your sense of humour.” ~Unknown
Mon Roi Henry IX
Countess

« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2012, 04:45:17 pm »

I was born in La Habana, Cuba. flower I lived as a child in Madrid, Spain for a while and have lived in North America for many years now.
Love different languages and different cultures! 2joy
My first language is Spanish, English my second and I can understand quite a bit of Brazilian Portuguese and read some French as long as is basic. I'm not internet savvy please bear with me. :tehe:and don't run for the hills due to this. runforhills
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:36:36 pm by akasha2411 » Logged
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »

Where are u from Yooper?  flower

Wow, how rude am I?  Sorry.  I'm from SoCal, Windansea/La Jolla, California, USA to be exact. 

Welcome, MRHIX!  Your life sounds fascinating and am looking forward to your apparent worldly point of view here.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: