Royal Gossip
September 19, 2018, 02:24:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate and Wills' landlady speaks!  (Read 5979 times)
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« on: September 20, 2013, 02:58:41 am »

Exclusive: Kate and Wills' landlady speaks!

It's was a strict 'no boys' zone for St Andrew's flat landlady Charlotte Smith. That's until Prince William came along, and even then it took her some convincing.

It seems like only yesterday that we saw Prince William on TV tottering around as a young Royal in over-sized suits at various Royal engagements with his little brother. And now he’s all grown-up, brimming with confidence and striding into adulthood with his wife-to-be Kate Middleton.

Kate and Wills met at St Andrew’s university in 2001 where she studied History of Art and he read Geography. Wills was rumoured to have paid £200 for a VIP seat at the charity fashion show where Middleton caught his eye in the now famous risqué frock that left little to the imagination.

After a year in halls, Kate and Wills decided to live together with two friends Fergus Boyd and Olivia Bleasdale in a shared flat in St Andrew’s where, it’s speculated, the young couple fell in love. We chatted to their landlady at the time Charlotte Smith, who told us what it was like to rent her house out to Royalty.

Tell us about the flat
It’s a Victorian terrace built in the Georgian style so it's four storeys high. We had the top two storeys which consisted of a very large sitting and dining room. We had one big twin bedroom, two single bedrooms and two double bedrooms. I think we must have bought it in 1993. Our daughter was up at St Andrew’s so we bought it as a buy-to-let for her and her friends.

And how did Prince William and Kate Middleton come to choose your flat to live in?
Traditionally we only accepted female 4th years, and we’d always done the letting of the flat by word of mouth. We’d asked the tenants who were leaving whether they’d heard of any responsible students who would like to take it. As it happened, one of the girls said that they had got some responsible people but the thing was that two of them were young men. We’d had an unfortunate experience with some boys in the flat once before and we were determined not to have young men there again. So I’d said no, not really, we don’t want to do that.

We wanted to talk it over with our neighbours and they were alright with it so we decided that we would go ahead and let the flat to Prince William.

Did they try and get the price down?
No, not at all! It was very reasonably priced I have to say for what they had, so they no reason to try and negotiate.

When did you meet Prince William and Kate Middleton for the first time?

Read more: Exclusive: Kate and Wills' landlady speaks! | iVillage UK http://www.ivillage.co.uk/exclusive-kate-and-wills-landlady-speaks/126055#ixzz2fOStyTug
Parenting: Information & advice

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/exclusive-kate-and-wills-landlady-speaks/126055

[/URL]
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:40:08 am »

Too bad the landlady didn't stick to her guns; William would have had to live independent and Kate would have ended up being unable to subtly control his social life.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:59:03 am »

you can't control someone else's life, without their consent.

Emperor
Countess

My cat always prefers my furniture over her post

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 05:14:38 am »

I sure hope he didn't use that "Do you know who I am ?" line on her  flower

Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are. - Princess Diana
Stephanie
Princess

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:27:34 am »

So the Home Office paid for the house.
I wonder if Waity lived there for free.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 08:34:41 am »

Likely; that is probably the main reason she wanted to live with him.

Even as a friend she was mooching off of him by association.

William should have been ordered to live on campus grounds at all time, not moving into a house/flat paid for by the government/taxpayer.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:45:37 am »

I wonder if perhaps Free rent for Kate "may have" been William's handler's way of thinking they'd be able to get rid of her once University was over? James Whitaker said, that people in the Palace felt Kate was too easy with her wares and not Wife material. They considered her only girlfriend material.

Once University was done, the thought was Kate should be left behind, to her own life and William go forward in his life and start training for more Princely roles,royal duties, but he decided to take her with him and let her cling-on.

The Palace at first viewed Kate as just a University fun experience,sweetheart for William and that he'd want to shake her off after University, boy did they Get that one wrong.  
 bored3

eating cookies Queen Consort Kate is on the way.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:50:39 am by serene grace » Logged

[/URL]
CathyJane
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 09:24:27 pm »

Waity has lived 'rent free' her entire life.
Snowpea
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 02:43:59 pm »

It must be nice.  Kate-Horror-Queen
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 03:09:02 pm »

Waity has lived 'rent free' her entire life.

Materially, yes; but she's had to pay for her lifestyle (by association) with her self respect and her apparent dignity. Being called "Waity Katie," having to scheme day and night to keep her meal ticket, endure endless snobbery from the upper classes who have never accepted her socially in her own right, even after marriage. If she didn't care, she wouldn't look as bitter as she does all the time, or as depressed; she wants social acceptance, social acceptance in her own right, but she ain't getting it.

I wonder if perhaps Free rent for Kate "may have" been William's handler's way of thinking they'd be able to get rid of her once University was over? James Whitaker said, that people in the Palace felt Kate was too easy with her wares and not Wife material. They considered her only girlfriend material.

Once University was done, the thought was Kate should be left behind, to her own life and William go forward in his life and start training for more Princely roles,royal duties, but he decided to take her with him and let her cling-on.

The Palace at first viewed Kate as just a University fun experience,sweetheart for William and that he'd want to shake her off after University, boy did they Get that one wrong.  
 bored3

Queen Consort Kate is on the way.

Since Camilla was validated with a ring (along with bashing the wife), tarts no longer think they should be held responsible for their lack of self respect. The palace always gets it wrong since they don't change or pay attention to certain realities that exist in this world. The palace never learns, do they?

bluetee27
gossip insider

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 05:03:18 pm »

The royals get what they want and even if they are making the wrong choices in their dating and marriage life then so be it...I don't think their handlers are that concern as long as they are part of the upper class and would not create a major uproar then everything is peaches and cream. As long as the royals are viewed in a positive light with the majority of the public then their handlers will go along with whatever to make them happy and the royal scheme of luxury and lies afloat.
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03:26 pm »

I think the Middleton's are the last type of family the Palace wanted. Loud, tacky, climbing and they don't know how to behave, they are trashy.
These Monarch's are afraid of saying NO to these Crown Princes since the failure of the Wales marriage and they are letting the worst garbage in.
Like James Whitaker said, the Middleton's aren't middleclass they are much lower class.

This family was only elevated because the press wants to make Kate seem acceptable, but the Middleton's are a low class family. Even their money is questionable, imo. I think Kate was a pleasing bed partner during University and William brought his concubine home, like Charles did and married her. Something is wrong with Windsor heirs and a lot of the current Crown Prince's picking these women.
imo

[/URL]
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 10:57:54 pm »

The palace isn't making it a point to make it easy and appealing for nice people to want anything to do with them. The princes don't bother getting out of their jet set life to get to know the people who work at their charities, who work at the events that are organized in their favor, who pretty much end up making things happen.

Why on earth should any sane woman want to marry into that family? What loyalty since after all the royals apparently don't even care about the history of their nation that they are supposed to embody. The Windsors are still living by the Victorian Era, an era which is only a blip in the vast history of the nation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: