Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 09:20:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Charles criticised over Bahrain housing deal  (Read 1077 times)
buflesse
Duchess

« on: May 14, 2013, 08:16:24 pm »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/14/prince-charles-criticised-bahrain-housing-deal

Prince Charles has been accused of lending credibility to an autocratic regime accused of serious human rights abuses after his architecture charity signed a deal to advise Bahrain on a 4,000-home development.

The contract with the Manama government was agreed last month by the Prince's Foundation for Building Community and is being backed by the Foreign Office. But opposition activists said it sends a message that the British royal family approves of the regime and so gives "a green light" to the government to continue human rights abuses.

The Bahrain monarchy has been engaged in a two-year battle against pro-democracy protesters who claim that 87 people, including 13 children, have died as a direct result of excessive use of force applied by the King's security forces.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:39:24 pm »

"This project aims to help all the communities that live in Bahrain and is in line with the objectives of the British government.
Since when has the British Government been involved in building houses in the Middle East?

Apart from the Human Rights angle (which is bad enough) this sounds more like a commercial business if it's contracting out like this rather than a charity.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:01:17 pm »

^ Following on from this there's also this little matter. I am starting to wonder if he is getting ready to step down in favour of one or other of his sons. This is so wrong in so many ways - human rights, dabbling in politics, commercial use of a charity and as Republic point out using his public role for his private business affairs.

According to the Bahraini news agency this is a £700,000 deal.

I used to think PC would make a better King than everyone thought. I used to stick up for him when people trashed him but the scales have fallen from my eyes.  thumbsdown

The news also raises questions about the nature of Prince Charles’s official engagements. The meeting with Bahraini officials on April 26 was listed on the royal website yet had no purpose other than to support Charles’s own private projects.
“The deal is already being used for PR purposes by the Bahraini royal family, helping to deflect attention from the human suffering and repression they’re inflicting on their own people,” said Republic’s chief executive Graham Smith. ”It seems that as far as Charles is concerned it’s fine to support despots and tyrants as long as they call themselves ‘prince’ or ‘king’.”

“.Serious questions need to be asked about the nature of Prince Charles’s engagements, which his press office love to crow about when claiming he works hard for Britain  This meeting with the Bahrainis was all about pushing his own hobby horse and securing a deal for his friends at the Prince’s Foundation.”

http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?p=960

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:31:43 pm »

No matter their morals, their treatment of other human beings.. Charles is a friend to the super rich.

I used to support Charles, but the scales too have fallen from my eyes ... thank goodness.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:33:57 pm »

I admit I have admired and defended him in the past, but I can't do it now. I just can't.

"This project aims to help all the communities that live in Bahrain and is in line with the objectives of the British government.
Since when has the British Government been involved in building houses in the Middle East?

I think it's been that way since Cameron came into power and started sucking up to the RF nonstop.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: