Royal Gossip
May 27, 2017, 08:18:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Sonja - The Original Waity Katie?  (Read 12029 times)
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« on: May 03, 2013, 09:12:38 pm »

This afternoon I met a new expat colleague of mine, a Norwegian. We spoke shortly about the Dutch inauguration and the presence of the Norwegian couple.
He wasn't very positive about MM and then added 'they have a habit of marrying unstable people'. I wanted to know what he meant and he said that at one point, when Crown Prince Harald broke up the relationhip with Sonja after pressure of his father, Sonja Haraldsen tried to commit suicide and ended up in hospital. The prince rushed t her bedside and from that moment on he fought his father foot and nail to get permission to marry Sonja.

I was totally shocked!!! It reminded me a great deal of the power Kate and the Middletons have over Prince William and I was wondering if this story is true. I had never heard about it before. Did anyone of you knew this?
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 09:27:57 pm »

I posted this a couple of months ago in another thread

@tequiero I went today and read the paragraphs about Harald & Sophia.

According to Pilar Eyre Sonja was more or less the love of Harald but at the same time he was having a sexual relationship with another norwegian. And at the same time his father and the greek family were trying to make an engagement happen, apart from his relationships there was the problem of the dowry as the greek government didn't want to pay much and the norwegian royal family thought it was too little.

Eyre tells that Sonja tried to suicide at least seven times during that time until she married him according to the norwegian press. She always tried when he was linked to a royal princess in the press. And when he was in norway she was like a limpet. She also tells that one day Sonja went to the apartment Harald use and met the other lover in the stairs and she got so angry that hit her with the bag and a fight ensued.

Did your colleague mention any detail about Mette?  spy

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
berlin
Countess

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:55:06 am »

I heard that story long ago.  I wonder if Harald now thinks it was worth it.
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:18:31 am »

Did your colleague mention any detail about Mette?
[/quote]

He said that although she is generally popular with the press and some parts of the population, she isn't very well liked or respected by the educated people in Norway. His female colleagues, as well as his own wife and her friends, consider her a disgrace since she has accomplished so little and what she accomplished, she did all on the tails of Haakon.
"Not exactly the kind of woman that represents the liberal, modern society Norway is", were his words (I think this was his exact quote but I didn't bring my tape-recorder with me LOL).

Overall, he wasn't very positive about the Norwegian Royal Family. He said King Harald did a great job as monarch, but on the family-department he let it slip. First with the choice of wife, how his children were raised and then with the partners of his children he accepted.
berlin
Countess

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:57:57 pm »

I always wondered how H&S raised their kids.  To me, they failed.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 02:18:29 pm »

I've heard before that they had problems raising the children or that Sonja wasn't up to the job  dontknow

There were also rumours of a divorce in the nineties but that there was no third person. I've never believed it.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 07:05:25 pm »

He said that although she is generally popular with the press and some parts of the population, she isn't very well liked or respected by the educated people in Norway. His female colleagues, as well as his own wife and her friends, consider her a disgrace since she has accomplished so little and what she accomplished, she did all on the tails of Haakon.
"Not exactly the kind of woman that represents the liberal, modern society Norway is", were his words (I think this was his exact quote but I didn't bring my tape-recorder with me LOL).

Overall, he wasn't very positive about the Norwegian Royal Family. He said King Harald did a great job as monarch, but on the family-department he let it slip. First with the choice of wife, how his children were raised and then with the partners of his children he accepted.

Royal men these days are fools; Silvia of Sweden is a plastic surgery addict (despite the fact that her daughter is vulnerable to anorexia) and Sonja is apparently someone who tried to off herself (WARNING SIGN PEOPLE), and go figure, Norway has a former drug addict lazy dip as future Queen Consort.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:12:16 pm by Alexandrine » Logged

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:36:52 pm »

King Harald V and Queen Sonja Of Norway Visit Turkey

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/queen-sonja-of-norway-attends-a-concert-and-norwegian-news-photo/187218953

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/queen-sonja-of-norway-attends-a-concert-and-norwegian-news-photo/187221542

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/king-harald-v-of-norway-and-queen-sonja-of-norway-arrive-at-news-photo/187221476

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/king-harald-v-of-norway-and-queen-sonja-of-norway-attend-a-news-photo/187221361

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Principe Raphael
royal watcher

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:03:34 pm »

She did wait a decade to marry then CP Harald.  Of course the circumstances were different.  But she too was a commoner, albeit from a good family.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

Well it was worse that Kate. At least she doesn't have rumours of trying to suicide to keep her prince like Sonja.

Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 09:14:49 pm »

Indeed...very persistent rumors that she did. In the early 1960's Queen Frederika of Greece organised a few royal cruises for the young royals (all in their early 20's) and among them was also Crown Prince Harald. Also present was Princess Tatiana Radziwill, daughter of Princess Eugenie of Greece. The Norwegian press was all over it and it was rumoured that the two were close to announcing an engagement.
Upon hearing that, Sonja is said that have tried to kill herself, was rushed to hospital and Harald rushed to be by her side. Ending his fathers hopes of an equal marriage for his only son.
Not sure if Sonja really tried to kill herself or just force Harald to make a choice, but in the end she got the ring, so 'mission accomplished'. And frankly, I think that by choosing for Sonja, Harald didn't have a good ground or standing to try to stop his son to marry MM.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 09:43:10 pm »

I believe the original story was that Harald was going to marry Princess Sofia of Greece (the queen of spain now) not Tatiana.

There was another similar thread so I merged them and at the top you can find one summary I did from a book that talked about this topic.

Sonja didn't try suicide once but various times according to this source.

Principe Raphael
royal watcher

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 12:41:10 am »

She tried suicide?  She sounds positively unstable.
How did Harald fail in the raising of Haakon and Martha Louise?
benign
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 05:04:55 am »

Well it was worse that Kate. At least she doesn't have rumours of trying to suicide to keep her prince like Sonja.
no WK didnt but apparently she did have a nervous breakdown during 2007 break up. I didnt know there were rumors of Sonja trying to commit suicide, emotional blackmail.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:59:28 am »

She tried suicide? She sounds positively unstable.
How did Harald fail in the raising of Haakon and Martha Louise?

Like most royal men these days, Harald failed to see what was right in front of his face; if someone is suicidal, to the point of trying it, they are obviously not royal marriage material and second, Harald is likely emotionally immature and childlike, making him an easy target.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Principe Raphael
royal watcher

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:50 am »

What is Sonja like these days, in her dotage?  At the rate the NRF is going, Ingrid Alexandra will end up marrying a rapper or the lead singer in a ska band.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 09:14:06 pm »

I believe the original story was that Harald was going to marry Princess Sofia of Greece (the queen of spain now) not Tatiana.

There was another similar thread so I merged them and at the top you can find one summary I did from a book that talked about this topic.

Sonja didn't try suicide once but various times according to this source.

I have never heard this.  I have read that her sister did commit suicide.  Sonja seems very down-to-earth and responsible to me.  But I don't know anything about her.  She had an authorized biography published a few years ago, and I wish I could read it.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 02:44:48 am »

I read years ago that Queen Frederika of Greece (mother to Sofia of Spain) was very anxious to marry her younger daughter Irene off to an eligible prince. He eyes alighted on Harald of Norway but it in no way resembled a romance. Harald wasn't interested in anyone but Sonja and of course they had to overcome all those difficulties.

Irene has never married though it was rumoured for years that she was in love with an older man who was Greek and married. Frederika was highly delighted that Juan Carlos became interested in Sofia very early on and negotiations began at once. Sofia married JC at a young age and I don't think Harald was in the picture for her.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 11:19:24 pm »

^All the sources I've read mention that Sofia and Harald were the match not Irene. Fredericka wouldn't have liked JC at first sight. During the infamous yatch trip JC was still a pretender with no assurance that he would one day be king, meanwhile Harald was heir to a country. Fredericka wouldn't marry the younger sister off before Sofia.

I've read sometimes that the dowry given by the greek government wouldn't be enough so the wedding didn't work out and others more dramatic says that Sonja tried to threaten suicide so the engagement didn't succeed.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 03:02:39 am »

You know, the minute an ex threatens to kill themselves, you walk away; no matter what, you walk away. Sonja sounds like a complete crackpot and frankly, what Sonja did was total blackmail. If Harald had married Sofia of Greece or Ingrid (after Sofia married Juan Carlos) then I think things would be different. To threaten suicide over something like this is frankly pure craziness and Harald should have taken a firmer line, not given in to Sonja's threats and married her.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: