Royal Gossip
May 24, 2019, 04:42:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duchess of Cornwall launches new initiative to help violent physical attack victims  (Read 3677 times)
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 12:29:44 pm »

To bad C&C didn't do anything about Jimmy Saville while he was alive.

Camilla has chosen a good cause but has put minimal effort into the needs of these women.
HC
Countess

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 06:53:28 pm »

Would be nice to do something for male survivors of sexual assault too - an even more taboo topic for many, I'm sure.

I agree; mainly because all these filthy teachers are attacking teenagers and stuff. A friend of mine had an affair with a female teacher and told me just recently. I told him that it was a brave thing to tell me and he actually ended up getting stalked by the witch.

When I read stuff like that, I understand the Islamic views of women at times.

The christian view on women has back in time been just as stigmatizing.

I don't think that womenhaters has anything to do with this or that religion. It is a culturel issue. And culture evolves back and forth. As I understand women in Denmark par example was almost considered equel to men in the 1700. But through the 1800 women were again disrespected and unequel to men. 
rogue
Duchess

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 10:03:55 pm »

This is a really good idea . thumbsup Shame that the cause won't be highlighted because of who is launching it.The press couldn't care less about the charities as long as they have miss Dolittle to flick her hair.Such a shame that William married woman not capable of doing the job
bluhare
royal watcher

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 05:31:30 pm »

Whether you like the idea or not, she got it from actually talking to people.  Not a one hour visit and leaving.  I give her props for it.  Apparently, the women involved said the first thing they wanted to do after all the forensic exams was to scrub the violent physical attack off them.  Giving them a toiletry bag is a simple, yet thoughtful gesture.  I admire Camilla for thinking of it.

Cressida, I'm very sorry to hear you were raped.   I was too, although not the violent attack type.  Back then it was nothing.  Now we'd call it date violent physical attack.
AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 06:01:22 pm »

bluehare, I too thought the toiletry bag was very caring.  Please don't put down your own assault, no assault on any woman no matter her circumstances is right or less than anothers.  hug

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
HC
Countess

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »

Well I have to say I'm not really sure what I mean about the free shampoo. There could be wrong messages in that.

If Camilla really wants to take this cause to the right level, she should perhaps make other initiatives. Perhaps free psykologi help.

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 06:54:02 pm »

If Camilla had spent more time with these women she would have found out that the toiletries are a nice idea but the really hard part comes after the bathing. She should write one of Charles's spider memos and try to get stiffer penalties like maybe forcing the rapist to pay for psychological counseling. Maybe she could start a fund to help them in this way. She and Charles manage to get donations for all their pet projects and they could for this also.

As I said before it is a good gesture but it is minimal in what they need because most women already have toiletries to bath with afterwards.
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »

^Good idea.  Camilla has the power to do a lot more than organise some free toiletries.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
lothwen
Duchess

Hello. My name is Lothwen, and I am a Harryaholic

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 12:37:55 am »

Maybe she does, but wouldn't that be considered getting "political" which is something the royals aren't supposed to do?

There's a saying out there "Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something."  Well, Camilla isn't doing everything, but she is doing something.

I\\\'m not going to defend myself against these accusations of \\\"playing both sides.\\\"  If you want to know how I feel about Kate and William, read my posts.  If you want further proof, go to the \\\"other forum\\\" and read my posts there.  I have the same user name for both forums.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:08 am »

Since when did getting political bother the royals?

I think this is more of a "Isn't Camilla such a loving fantastic caring person" article because I find it minimal and with her resources and connections she could do more IMO.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 02:14:57 am »

^Good idea.  Camilla has the power to do a lot more than organise some free toiletries.

This comes off as an aristocratic "Lady Bountiful" gesture, not really something that is in fact really going to do anything substantial.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 06:44:40 am »

^That's exactly right.  I have been trying to put it into words so thank you KF, Lady Bountiful expresses it perfectly.

I *despise* to complain about anyone doing something positive for people who deserve it, but it just seems like a token gesture, and I have to say if I received the gift I'd kind of think WTF?  Toiletries?  As if that's going to help.   It just reminds one of the negative feelings. 

violent physical attack survivors need proper professional counselling, and compensation.  In NZ we have a compulsory no-fault government-run insurance scheme for accidental injury/victims of crime.  The scheme pays for a lot of counselling of violent physical attack survivors, which would be prohibitively expensive for the survivors.  I don't know what happens in the UK, but IMHO this is where the efforts should be made - prevention, awareness-raising, interventions to assist survivors etc.  Toiletries is so Lady Bountiful.  Ok I accept that some survivors themselves gave Camilla the idea, but still.  It just doesn't sit well with me at all.  JMHO.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 01:54:47 pm »

Did the survivors give Camilla the idea though?

I think they probably said they felt very dirty afterwards and just wanted to try and scrub it off their body and Camilla thought she would try to give them a little luxury experience at home. It is a thought but it also shows that either these women didn't want to get into the issue with her or she didn't spend much time talking to them.
lothwen
Duchess

Hello. My name is Lothwen, and I am a Harryaholic

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »

I've never been raped, but I have been through traumatic experiences, and the best way for me to cope was to to routine things, and it was the smaller gestures that people did that made it easier to make it through each day.  I believe that the center that these women go to (where Camilla met them) does offer counseling and therapy, so she decided to do this for them.  When people go through grief (which is what these women are doing, on some scale) they need lots of things, and some of those things may seem insignificant, but they mean a lot to the person receiving them.

I\\\'m not going to defend myself against these accusations of \\\"playing both sides.\\\"  If you want to know how I feel about Kate and William, read my posts.  If you want further proof, go to the \\\"other forum\\\" and read my posts there.  I have the same user name for both forums.
HC
Countess

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 06:10:29 pm »

I think they probably said they felt very dirty afterwards and just wanted to try and scrub it off their body and Camilla thought she would try to give them a little luxury experience at home. It is a thought but it also shows that either these women didn't want to get into the issue with her or she didn't spend much time talking to them.

Snokitty, You might be right I think.
bluhare
royal watcher

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 05:19:43 pm »

Camilla did get the idea from talking to violent physical attack victims.  The Daily Mail article stated that.  They talked about how dirty they felt and how they could hardly wait to get in the shower and get rid of it all, as you stated.  Maybe it isn't much, but it's SOMETHING, and perhaps they will be given to people in hospital so they can shower there.  That's pure speculation on my part, because of course we all have soap and shampoo at home.  Her office is making up the first set of packets, not the charity.  Would be nice if she helped.

And I thought this was something Kate could get involved with that would require very little work on her part.  She's got a much higher profile than Camilla so could get some really high end brands to contribute like Moulton Brown or Jo Malone (she does body washes, doesn't she?), and the other thing they could include is one of those body sponge thingys that exfoliate.  

I can't criticise anyone who's trying to help, no matter how small and trivial it appears on the outside.

(And thank you, Ana Bolena!)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:22:12 pm by bluhare » Logged
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 08:03:48 pm »

I believe very little of what the DM prints and Camilla is in a position to do so much more and she should. When someone in her position does the minimum it is usually done just to enhance their PR.

Kate would not be good at this because it would mean thinking of some other female besides herself.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 08:38:05 pm »

And I thought this was something Kate could get involved with that would require very little work on her part.  She's got a much higher profile than Camilla so could get some really high end brands to contribute like Moulton Brown or Jo Malone (she does body washes, doesn't she?), and the other thing they could include is one of those body sponge thingys that exfoliate.

Given what her uncle does with women ("young and fresh") I don't think this would be appropriate. With her addiction to luxury it would come off even worse. While I believe that this sort of thing is a surface treatment, if it gives some comfort, good, but lately with the RF, they are so luxurious already it makes it a little trivial. If an actress (some of who did grow up victimized) were to do something like this it would warm my cold dead elitist heart, but with Camilla it comes off as silly. I try to warm up to the RF, but lately and more, I'm becoming disgusted with all of them. I admire the gesture, but the messenger does tend to discredit the whole thing.

It comes off as Camilla (or any other member of the RF) airily tossing off luxury bath oils and going about her merry royal way.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: