Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 09:20:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate & Meghan Relationship Thread  (Read 30729 times)
LadySnowWhite
courtier

« Reply #520 on: February 06, 2019, 10:26:13 pm »

^^ Before she got married she was in college. She completed her education, she did sports, whatever.
Then she worked a few years for her family's business - perfectly valid option, if one has it. During this time she also concentrated on marrying well.
Sounds perfectly active, engaged and focused to me.

I am not sure why a woman's life today must look like a frantic, super-busy mess, usually in the form of working for someone else -  in order to be considered "valid".
By whom?  

Some students came forward to say she used their notes and cheated and slacked off in college as well. And since then, she did not even utilize her degree.

That she worked for her family's business is questionable. She was photographed only a couple times near their place of business (but many times falling out of clubs, and it was claimed she could not work in the community because the paparazzi attention would be too hectic.) Also, she was supposed to have done photographic and catalogue work - however, someone else was credited with this on the Party Pieces website. Never Kate.
Then, when Pippa was speaking with the press, they asked her what Kate did for the family business. Pippa fumbled and mumbled and could not answer.

(I do realize I have not provided any articles, but I don't have the time to get them all, and I don't care if that somehow invalidates everything I say. The information is out there and probably not too hard to find.)

I also don't know why a woman's life today must look like a frantic busy mess. I never said it had to - I don't think in extremes.
In fact, I think the glamourization of frantic busy should end.

Anyways back to the topic - I don't think either Meghan or Kate would have had anything to do with their husbands had neither of them been a Prince or wealthy or well-connected. But I do think Meghan has passions prior to beyond who she is romantically linked to, and that is the one thing she has a leg up on Kate.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:28:02 pm by LadySnowWhite » Logged
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #521 on: February 06, 2019, 11:24:21 pm »

Kate's life was never frantic or busy. She supposedly worked for a short time at Party Pieces but she couldn't have been too busy there. She photographed some of the sales items for catalogues and flyers. She supposedly began a child wear line that never got off the ground. There were rumours that she was going to work at a famous photographer's studio or a few galleries. Nothing eventuated.

The Queen supposedly asked 'What does Kate Do?' and so a job at Jigsaw was supposedly custom made for her. It was parttime. This was where she worked when William apparently broke up with her by phone during one of their split ups. She left Jigsaw shortly after that as she 'needed time to herself'.

https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/kate-middleton-quits-fashion
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #522 on: February 07, 2019, 09:34:47 am »

I disagree  tehe I think you are thinking of the past with rosy glasses. My country made that kind of life an obligation to women until 1975. My mother couldnt even have a bank account without her father permission or her husband later. Imagine what that meant if your family or husband was abusive. And of course divorce didnt exist.

I cant imagine how mamy wonderful thinkers, doctors or inventors we have lost through the ages because woman were not consideres intellectually capable of such feats or they are only role was having kids.

We should appreciate it that we have freedom to choose the path we like.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
LadySnowWhite
courtier

« Reply #523 on: February 07, 2019, 11:26:47 am »

If you can do better than most women and marry well, so being forced to have a "career" will never be an issue - then DO SO.

And this is why KM is a wonderful role model.

I hope my daughter pays attention. 

Certainly - my mother is one who did. And I wouldn't be entirely opposed myself to be a homemaker (though I have a sincerely fullfilling career at the moment and perhaps I'd choose to keep working part-time, it depends). I also support men who prefer to be homemakers. The "homemaker" role is not at all shameful!

The problem is that Kate "married well" in exchange for a disrespectful, cheating, and rude man for the several years of waiting and "focus" while neglecting to pursue any other interests - and it is questionable how much she "works" for her family considering the number of staff she has.  So no, not a role model.

What have women invented in all these years since they've been doing the "career" thing?  Office gossip and back stabbing?

Hahaha. Oh, jeez. And I'm backing slowly away from this discussion. Have fun, guys!
Joanna
courtier

Daenerys Stormborn, the true Queen

« Reply #524 on: February 07, 2019, 02:41:22 pm »

^^^I completely disagree. Ever since I remembre existing, all I ever wanted to be is a doctor, the sheer joy it brings me and how whole I feel, can't be matched by anything else. It means much more to me than getting married.

For almost 900 years, and until 1974, in my country women were completely subjugated by men, and by the constraints society imposed on all women, regardless of their social class. Until 1974 where a women couldn't vote without the permission of her husband, couldn't work without his express permission, couldn't have a bank account, couldn't travel abroad, and couldn't travel abroad alone with her children if she was without her husband's permission. Very few were university graduates (my granny was one of them). They had to be single if they wanted to be nurses or primary school teachers. Women who were doctors for exampel could be counted by the fingers in one hand, and even then had very conditioned access to some specialties. Before the XXth century, life was indeed a very grim prison for any woman.

I can't believe the pure misogyny and machism I'm reading.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #525 on: February 07, 2019, 03:31:17 pm »

I totally agree Joanna. And women today are encouraged to have their own careers and not just live for a man to marry them and provide for them.

misanthrocat you keep saying the "majority of women" want this or that. You just don't have the statistics to back that up. Maybe in countries where women are second class citizens and have little else to do but marry perhaps so. But UK and USA and many other countries encourage women to work. What would happen if a woman had NO skills and her husband divorced her and left her little to support herself. She would be up a creek. Woman are not chattel anymore.

Misanthrocat I don't get why you consider work "horrible" for women. Women graduate with Law Degrees and other advanced degrees and are proud and their families are proud of their achievements. And believe it or not some women like their jobs. And believe it or not some women don't like to just sit home and be subject to a man's whims and "work for him."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:34:45 pm by sandy » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #526 on: February 07, 2019, 03:58:43 pm »

Ok.  Enough.  Back on topic.  YM

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Joanna
courtier

Daenerys Stormborn, the true Queen

« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2019, 04:08:33 pm »

I still don't see what Kate and Meghan's relationship has got to do with this. Kate chose to be a housewife, that's fine, it's her choice, but to some of us, it doesn't say well of the structure of her character that she stayed at Willliam's beck and call and did zero with her life before that. She centered her life around a men who constantly belittled and humiliated her. Meghan on the other hand, did work, they chose two completely different paths, but I don't think it's necessarily because of their choices career wise that they naturally don't get along, it's more likely that those differences occur in spite of that, because they have different character, personalities, and two completely different communication styles. Meghan is much more eloquent and she tends to be very adamant about certain things (I'm not going into  the aspects about how she chooses to be eloquent and the nature of what she chooses to say, or wheather she's right or not, you all know I'm not a fan of neither of them, I'm just saying that she's naturally more eloquent, especially on topics she decided to focus on, whereas Kate, even in aspects she sould be much more eloquent than she actually seems to be, besides Meghan projects more warmth (wheather it's fake or not is another topic) than Kate, and that may endear to the public more than Kate, but the principle differences between them go way beyond this, and seem to be related to their very own nature.
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2019, 04:40:27 pm »

As I see it, Kate and Megs do not have -- nor will they ever have -- a relationship.   eightball
misanthrocrat
courtier

« Reply #529 on: February 07, 2019, 05:10:19 pm »

The above discussion has A LOT to do with Megahn's and Kate's relationship - which has been presented to the public as fraught with problems because they symbolize two very different types of women - the traditional and the modern, respectively.

MM took the "career" path originally because she had to. She wanted to advance, she was ambitious, yet she was a nobody. Like most women.
The moment she had the chance to marry well (in this case, insanely well) - she made her move. She continues to play the modern woman for virtue signaling purposes(note the cultural ethos of our time from the reactions above), even though every little bit of her life is the life of a traditional woman with tons of resources.

She is everything she is at this moment because of a MAN. Very well positioned man. And she was everything she was before ALSO because of a man (her father opening doors in Hollywood). This is a fact.

KM did not take the career path because she didn't have to. Her parents were rich and she could skip the career part by focusing on marrying spectacularly.
Many women in the 21st century who have the resources or good marriage prospects to NOT take the career path, despite graduating with degrees and being very well educated, overall - do just so. And there is not one single darn thing wrong with that.    

KM could afford to stay on the traditional path which is very much preferred by women when they have enough resources already.

Yes, there are plenty of statistics to support my argument but I will not waste my time providing tedious research with links for an audience that has already made up its mind. Plus we're banned from further exploring the topic, per mods.

I will just have to reiterate that the occasional female doctor, lawyer, etc, who lives for her profession doesn't change the reality of MOST women.
Statistically, most women are NOT doctors, lawyers or other classical professions. And even most such women would NOT keep their professions if they stepped into gold. Many female doctors and lawyers would happily quit the hassles of 9-5 and a lot more, if they suddenly came into massive wealth.
It's funny how women such as...I don't know... Michelle Obama?... are not exactly called back by the "Law" siren once they made their wealth. They do "charity" instead (not a career, btw).    

For this reason, I find KM to be an excellent alternative role model to those women whose calling in life is to put their family and private life first, if they can afford it. (Yes, that includes their very much not-cheating husbands). If the husband cheats, there's money to collect at the end of that road - and based on current western laws, not little. Ms. Bezos, having been presented here as a cautionary tale here - just know I am crying a river for her. 
The situation of women in western nations is not the same as that of women in various other parts of the world; but that is a different chapter which does not apply to KM or MM as these two are western women.

Generally speaking, the fact that domestically-oriented women like KM are shamelessly shamed today (it's OK to be a SAHM but...) is highly problematic and a major distortion of how the female brain is wired (yes, there's research on this).  

On my end, neither can I believe the levels of misandry when I read that most men, including Prince William, are presented as lying, cheating, humiliating abusers. sigh
Well, actually, I take that back. I CAN believe it - but I don't buy it.   thankyou

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:19:21 pm by misanthrocrat » Logged

“To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.”
― Mark Twain
sandy
Princess

« Reply #530 on: February 07, 2019, 05:43:43 pm »

As I see it, Kate and Megs do not have -- nor will they ever have -- a relationship.   eightball

I think neither trusts other women but they will be polite to each other.

misan, women doctors and executives and attorneys  are more than "occasional" now. Kate did not have to work does not mean that she should not have.

KM is not a housewife she's supposed to work as a senior royal. Like her predecessors. If she wanted to be Jane Housewife she should have married Lord X and lived on an estate with servants. She was not "shamed" for marrying up but "shamed" for her poor work ethic which a senior royal is supposed to have.

And in this day and age it's not unusual for a wife to earn more money than her husband.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:47:27 pm by sandy » Logged
misanthrocrat
courtier

« Reply #531 on: February 07, 2019, 07:34:28 pm »

^Women doctors and layers continue to make up a small percentage of the female population, just like male doctors and lawyers make up a small % of the male population. But it is even smaller for women.
Most women, just like most men, do not spend their lives in "fulfilling careers". They spend their lives doing what they gotta do. 
Therefore, when people invoke "doctors and lawyers" as the reason why every woman should try to build her life on the "career" model, regardless of means - they are simply biased and misguiding. 

Kate did not have to work does not mean that she should not have.

Nobody is in a position to tell a woman of significant means (with money from her family) that she should start working and building a career right out of college. You are not her parents. KM is heavily criticized that she dared NOT build a career as soon as she got out of college. If her parents were more than happy to provide her with resources to pursue her "William" dream and act traditional, it is not for anyone to decide what she was supposed to do with her life at the time.
I am sorry that she disappointed many career-oriented women by failing to validate their life path. 

She was not "shamed" for marrying up but "shamed" for her poor work ethic which a senior royal is supposed to have.

Incorrect. I often see her being shamed for the choices she made pre-William. When in college, when post-college but pre-marriage.

I believe people DO have the right to "shame" whomever they please (to be read "express opinion") - just not to their faces. Because then that's called "being a jerk". 
Otherwise, it's called freedom of speech.

But my point here is simply that the critiques addressed to KM are just a lifestyle-based view, not an orthodoxy.
There is also the view that KM did exactly what she was supposed to do with her life pre-William, considering her situation.

Once again, I say "good job".

And in this day and age it's not unusual for a wife to earn more money than her husband.

Yes, it is still unusual - but also irrelevant to our conversation. However, if you insist on including this still unusual loccurrence, this is also a demographic with VERY high rates of divorce. This should say something.
But again - very much off topic.

“To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.”
― Mark Twain
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #532 on: February 07, 2019, 07:55:32 pm »

Time for a break on this thread.  We have a general topic thread for those who may want to discuss Family Sciences and Behaviors.  This thread is so off topic, few are listening to me so I’m locking it for a while.  YM

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2019, 12:04:29 am »

Thread open with Caution.  Please stay on topic and keep it to articles about the two of them or their interactions.  This is not the place to get into sociological or family behavior debates. 

We’ve already established their respective work histories so move on.  If not, this thread causes nothing but dissension and will be shut down.  Thank you.

sandy
Princess

« Reply #534 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:25 am »

Kate and Meghan both need to work as senior royals. And commit to a lifetime of service.
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #535 on: February 11, 2019, 04:47:03 pm »

Duchess of York says the way online trolls pit women against each other echoes how she and Princess Diana were painted as 'rivals' after royal aides were forced to police social media accounts over vile abuse aimed at Meghan and Kate by feuding fans

The Duchess of York has compared how trolls pit women against each other on social media to how she and Princess Diana were painted as 'rivals'.

Sarah Ferguson, 59, claimed in an open letter published today that much of Twitter and Instagram 'terrifies' her – and that social media has become a 'sewer'.

It comes after it emerged Kensington Palace staff spend hours moderating hundreds of thousands of sexist and racist online comments aimed at Kate and Meghan.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6690513/Duchess-York-slams-social-media-sewer.html
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: