Royal Gossip
April 19, 2019, 06:05:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C&C NZealand trip costs revealed  (Read 2046 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: January 17, 2013, 11:30:43 am »

Freedom of Information seems to be lighting the fuse everywhere under the royal costs

The cost to the New Zealand Air Force of transporting Prince Charles and his wife Camilla topped $425,000, the Republican Movement says.

The organisation received figures under an Official Information Act request which show flights for the royal couple bring the cost of their trip to New Zealand taxpayers to over $1 million.

The Department of Internal Affairs spent $766,000 during the tour of the country in November, making the total cost of the six day visit $1,191,000.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/prince-charles-and-camilla-s-nz-flights-top-400k-5320399

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:50:03 pm »

1 million for flights? Charles' trips are always the most expensive

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:48:18 pm »

Oh no Alexandrine the flights were a mere $425,000 (NZ dollars) the entire trip cost at least $1,200,000.  eating cookies

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:34 pm »

Aren't those costs covered by the host country? 

True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 06:25:15 pm »

Yes RW in this case it falls upon New Zealand.

Did you think I was saying the UK taxpayer picked up the tab (although there are pther unspecified costs which are charged to the FCO and the Met)?

The argument seems to be in this case that only one in five Kiwis support PC.

Holden branded the trip a publicity failure and "waste of taxpayers' money".

"Even after all the spending, the publicity tour failed to shift public support for Charles," he said.

"Polling we commissioned shows support for Charles as New Zealand's next head of state was unchanged after the tour and support for a New Zealand head of state had gone up.

"This tour was a waste of taxpayers' money, used to promote someone only one in five New Zealanders want as our head of state."

Jane23
Princess

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:26 pm »

Problem is the trip wasn't to gain any support or for "pr" purposes it was to Celebrate his mother's Jubilee  shifty...besides didn't some (few but loud) Republicans say that Harry's visit did nothing to make Jamaica change their minds about getting rid of Liz? (even though again he went there for the Jubilee) Problem is they are still to do that...
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 12:27:06 am »

True Brit: thankyou

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:01:00 am »

Maybe there should be a new rule where only Charles's fans pay for his tax funded Holidays (with the title of jubilee tour). How many Jubilee tours did Charles have 3 or 4?

Unnecessary expense so I say let his supporters pay for it and then see how many he is allowed to take because it is less easy to excuse the cost when you are the one paying for it.
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 08:17:13 am »

^ HUH? It wasn't a vacation Liz is Head of State of those Countries and given that she ain't 60 anymore her family went to  Celebrate her Jubilee in those Countries on her behalf  dontknow if they didn't do that I am sure some would have a lot to say about that  shifty Chuck can't win no matter what he does!!!
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:44:51 pm »

They could have done the same thing with a video link and it would have been a lot cheaper.  Yes it was the Queens Diamond Jubilee year and she and PP are the only ones who didn't get a tax payer funded Holiday.

With the technology of today these royal tours aren't needed for anything except as a PR exercise for the royals.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 04:11:11 pm »

BTW 1 NZ $ is about 0.8 US $ 0.5 £ and 0.6 €
so cost of that 1,191,000 NZ$ trip was
750,000 €
630,000 £
995,000 US$

Still a lot of cash but for a Brit that difference between 1M or 630K is significant enough to do the currency conversion.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 04:12:41 pm »

@ Snokitty  They Toured Britain that is not bad if you ask me  Cool.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »

BTW 1 NZ $ is about 0.8 US $ 0.5 £ and 0.6 €
so cost of that 1,191,000 NZ$ trip was
750,000 €
630,000 £
995,000 US$

Still a lot of cash but for a Brit that difference between 1M or 630K is significant enough to do the currency conversion.

That is just for the New Zealand tour now multiply that by 5 trips for Charles and he is just not worth that kind of money.

@Jane23  I wasn't aware that touring GB was a foreign tour. Even those cost the taxpayers to much.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:26:08 pm by Snokitty » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 04:51:27 pm »

well there are still ppl who want to see the royal in the flesh to take pic's and give small stuf on walk about
I know it's hard for you to get that fact but some ppl are fans who still think that royals are 'cool' and they want to meet their idols for real at least once. (Like a bieber fan goes to one of his concerts)
so that's why they stil do the tours rather then do a video conference.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 04:59:09 pm »

Unlike the Bieber fans the royal fans aren't the only ones who pay for the chance to see them.

If they could just collect the cost for the royal visit and divide it amongst the fans I would be alright with that. I am afraid we would see that fan base numbers drop rapidly.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 05:30:04 pm »

fair point... tehe

In the end it's all about the money.
You know what is ironic is that you are saying that rather then a Brit or comonweltian (sp?) who actually has to cash for 'em!
The royalty system usually isn't so easy to get rid off without a full-blown revolt and frankly most ppl just are beyond caring about them to revolt.
Heck I think that the Brits still have the whole class idea very much ingrained into their being they just don't see a good enough reason to radically change their whole society structure! (although the Scots might get rid of the English bond soon tehe)

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 05:39:26 pm »

I don't see a big revolution in the royals future but more of a change in the way Monarchy is dealt with.

IMO they should give the monies from the duchies back to the people and the only ones supported by tax monies should be the Monarch and the heir.

They should be given a set amount of money that they use for everything including their own security and they would learn to manage on that amount just as the working people do.

They only need two homes one for the Monarch and one for the heir and the rest of the palaces should be used to bring tourist money into the UK.

There are many ways for the royals to help GB out but they would have to make some sacrifices to their luxurious life in order to do so. I don't think seeing them in person or watching them wave is better for the country than them showing leadership by example and being the first to get the austerity measures that everyone else is going to be forced to live with.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 06:02:53 pm »

I agree even here in Belgium we are dealing with the gov funding issue at the moment
I think the Dutch are a good example of a sober but functional monarchy.

But one of the reasons I like the BRF is because they make no common sense whatsoever, it's kinda quirky and special.  laugh
It's kinda like watching a bunch of real dino's they are ancient, huge, eat ginormous amounts (of money) and cumbersome slow moving but fascinating to see nevertheless. tehe

Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 12:35:55 am »

^Well I'm one of the people whose taxes had to go towards C&C's promo tour (it would be naive to think it was only for the Jubilee).

We needed that money for NZ hospitals.  People in this country die because they cannot get surgery when they need it.

Charles and the Queen are incredibly wealthy and there is no sensible reason why they shouldn't pay for their own travel.  Only a minority of NZers want Charles as our next Head of State.  Most people here admire the Queen and feel some loyalty towards her, but we are ready to have our own Head of State when she is gone.

I am proud of every fellow NZer who is standing up for what is right and fair for our country.  Monarchists (and foreigners) are entitled to their opinion but I am looking forward to the day when we will be free of "the apron strings", ie a modern country willing to stand on our own feet!

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 03:27:05 am »

Why can't the RF stay at the embassies instead of poshy hotels and disrupt the usual day to day routine with their presence? I agree that NZ should break away and at some point, you have ot do it to really reach your full potential.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: