Royal Gossip
December 15, 2017, 04:06:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedes tell King to step down for Victoria  (Read 6842 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« on: January 04, 2013, 05:45:56 pm »

http://trondni.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/majority-in-favour-of-king-carl-gustafs.html

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:42:54 pm »

I think that in his case, CG should just step down; he's humiliating his daughters, wife, setting a horrific example for his son and if Snakey is going to justifiably tossed off, I believe that Victoria has to take over and forbid CP from marrying her. She is the only one who can do this and be credible.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
mrharrywales
Countess

Harryite #24

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:34:48 pm »

The point is... if he abdicates he'd take down all his heirs with him wouldn't he?

The next monarch would be his brother/sister and their heirs, right?

Don't worry, be Harry
Keep calm and Harry on
What happens in Vegas, not always stays in Vegas
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:31:22 pm »

No, her daughter would be the Queen.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
mrharrywales
Countess

Harryite #24

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:19:01 am »

So how is this sucession law??

I seriously thought that if the King/Queen abdicated he took all his/her descendants with him/her.

Don't worry, be Harry
Keep calm and Harry on
What happens in Vegas, not always stays in Vegas
berlin
Countess

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:26:43 am »

I'm not following why you think if a monarch abdicates his descendants' rights are terminated.  Remember that at the time of Edward's abdication he had no descendants.  If, at the time of abdication, he had a legitimate heir, he/she would have become King/Queen and not George VI (Bertie).
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:34:34 pm »

Swedes tell King to step down for Victoria
http://www.thelocal.se/20131221/swedes-tell-king-to-step-down-for-victoria
More Swedes think that 40 years on the throne is enough for King Carl XVI Gustaf with a near majority saying he should step down in order for his daughter to reign in a new poll which also found that national support for the monarchy is on the wane.
Support for the King has declined since the last survey was carried out in 2011. On that occasion 41 percent wanted him to hand over to Crown Princess Victoria with 44 percent arguing he should stay where he is.

Despite recent public fervour over the Royal weddings of the King's daughters Victoria and Madeleine plus the arrival of Princess Estelle it seems that support for the monarchy continues to drop.

Some 64 percent of those surveyed want the monarchy to be retained compared to 80 percent asked the same question back in 2005. Those who want the royal institution to be scrapped altogether in favour of a republic has increased to 27 percent, a rise of six percentage points since 2011.

"We can see that the percentage of voters who want to keep the monarchy has steadily declined since the first survey in 2005," said Laurin Gulled.

However, the majority of Swedes want to keep the royal family in place at least for now. Pollsters said the figures from 2011 were likely influenced by negative headlines surrounding the King but that wasn't the case with the latest survey.

"Now there is no similar incident which could have influenced the support for the monarchy," added Laurin Gulled.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:21:31 am »

The King's affairs are re hashed though in the papers periodically - so Swedes are often reminded of them

Kick in the pants for him though - 40 years of service and they want him out - it does seem the basic attitudes that are part of monarchy - the idea that you serve for your whole life - just aren't accepted anymore.

I think Victoria will make a fine Queen - but I'd guess the days of the swedish monarchy are dwindling.
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 01:36:01 am »

this is the way I look at it...Kings and Queens serve there Country they love their families ..but when you have affairs ...cheat on your wife or husband what ever the case is....and with hard core proof that it actually happened...it's like that one affair not only did you cheat your family but you cheated on your country....your in power of the people...the people look to you for guidance...for some understanding of why you do what you do...yet when you lie and cheat on your family then your lying and cheating to everyone you swore to serve.  that's just my outlook ...I could be way off base

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 01:37:29 am »

I think the problem is scandals; people are tired of a skirt chasing pervert, just like how Albert stepped down as the issue of Delphine Boel escalated. Gustaf is a bad king and I wonder if Silvia is part of the issue; she's a plastic surgery addict and Victoria is showing that she's connected to her kid Estelle and it shows her as an empathetic human being who actually CARES about the connection. Daniel is popular and I think as queen Victoria will have the moral authority to push CP's snake wench Sofia out of the family life. She'll have the ability to forbid it and gain the support of the people in this issue and CP will be bound ot obey or walk out of his position.

Gustav has a stagnated reign and there's nowhere else for her to go and realistically he's just unhealthy deadweight.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 01:40:57 am »

yeah scandles don't help either and if the King does step down and retire I feel that Princess Victoria will be a good Queen....she seems to honestly care for the people...she seems to do more for the country than any of her siblings...I'm sure she has her faults but from what I've seen of her....she'd be a good Queen
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 02:12:35 am »

this is the way I look at it...Kings and Queens serve there Country they love their families ..but when you have affairs ...cheat on your wife or husband what ever the case is....and with hard core proof that it actually happened...it's like that one affair not only did you cheat your family but you cheated on your country....your in power of the people...the people look to you for guidance...for some understanding of why you do what you do...yet when you lie and cheat on your family then your lying and cheating to everyone you swore to serve.  that's just my outlook ...I could be way off base

I totally agree Nighthawk - and I would add not just spousal cheating but things like drinking ,drug use, financial shenanigans and other kinds of scandals
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 02:20:37 am »

yes exactly..all that adds up
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 05:27:41 pm »

^ if they think like that in the UK as well charles andrew william and harry can all forget about the throne i think...(I think some of them wouldn't mind it actually ;-) )

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 07:21:06 pm »

this is the way I look at it...Kings and Queens serve there Country they love their families ..but when you have affairs ...cheat on your wife or husband what ever the case is....and with hard core proof that it actually happened...it's like that one affair not only did you cheat your family but you cheated on your country....your in power of the people...the people look to you for guidance...for some understanding of why you do what you do...yet when you lie and cheat on your family then your lying and cheating to everyone you swore to serve. that's just my outlook ...I could be way off base
I totally agree Nighthawk - and I would add not just spousal cheating but things like drinking ,drug use, financial shenanigans and other kinds of scandals

The thing is, that kings never used to let it interfere with their official life, but CG has let it.

The man fought to be able to marry Silvia, then he's cheating on her like a rabbit in heat and letting it leak over into his official life.

MOSAIC
Duchess

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 07:01:33 pm »

It would be worth knowing the effect that his very early life, his childhood had on him.
He was the youngest of five children, the longed for son and heir, Four older sisters,
and very soon after his birth, a deeply embittered angry and grieving mother. Crown Princess Sybilla was a
German princess, proud, and secure, she thought, only her husband Carl Gustav's father
was to die in a plane crash, alongside his companion, a famous skater.  They were
travelling together to Denmark I think, and there was no way of hushing it up.
So it was in this atmosphere that Carl Gustav grew up, his father gone but revealed
as a philanderer, his mother a widowed princess in to her a foreign land,, four older
sisters, two elderly grandparents.  Whose to know the dynamics of that situation.
Whose to know how Princess Sybilla was ever able to hold her head up even though most
definitely not her fault as far as we know.

I feel very sorry for Silvia, a perfect queen long before the addiction set in.  Maybe that's
why it set in  I think Carl Gustav is punishing someone, probably his parents and the skater.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:03:55 pm by MOSAIC » Logged
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 07:33:25 pm »

It's getting serious for the Swedish monarchy:

Joint motion against monarchy

Representatives from the five parties yesterday today together in a joint motion to abolish the monarchy.
Now stands also a member of parliament behind the centrist representation requirement.

- We want the monarchy to be phased out completely, says Niclas Malmberg, MP.
Last year, the Social Democrats, the Green Party, the Liberals and the Left together in a joint exercise with the aim of abolishing the monarchy.
Both the Green Party and the Social Democrats are taking in their party platform position against the monarchy but it is not a question any of the parties actively pursuing.
Now they try again and this time it is also a representative from the Center Parity with MP Johanna Jönsson.

- We want the monarchy to be phased out completely. What we are proposing in the motion is an investigation of how the monarchy should be developed and that we should consider modalities for which government we should have in place a democratic government without elements of to be able to inherit a position, says Niclas Malmberg, MP.
Exercisers Rasmus Ling (MP), Mia Sydow Mölleby (V), Maria Weimer (L), Mathias Sundin (L), Johanna Jönsson (C), Yasmine Larsson (S) and Hillevi Larsson (S) justifies its demands in the motion:
"Sweden should be an egalitarian country where success is based on the individual merits rather than on the privileges and kinship. Our government does, however, still the country's highest public office, the head of state, are inherited within a chosen family. The monarchy is incompatible with democracy, equality and civil rights."

The support has declined, according to surveys
When the Daily News and Ipsos in an opinion poll in 2013 asked how many wanted to retain the monarchy, 64 per cent responded yes, down from 80 percent in 2005.
Niclas Malmberg, MP, does not believe that it is relevant to the majority of people still believe that we should have left the royal house but is hoping for a larger debate.

- We are not what this any populism based on what people like or not but based on what we believe is a more democratic situation correctly. But of course we need a continuing campaign work to get a majority of the population want to make a change, he says.

While waiting for the monarchy to be abolished would exercisers also see a number of other changes.
1. Cancel the head of state immunity from prosecution.
2. Cancel the confession compulsion for the head of state (ie, a religious freedom for all citizens).
3. Abolish the requirement that the princes and princesses may not marry unless the Government following the request from the king approved.
4. Cancel ban successor to leave the kingdom without the king's knowledge and consent.
5. Transparency requirements in the royal palace ungulate state finances and operations.

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/gemensam-motion-mot-monarkin/
---
I don't think that even Vic's ascending would change much, it might buy them a few more years of having a monarchy, but overall it seems like an abolishment is definitely and unavoidably in the future.
I wonder in how far it might cause a chain reaction across other (European) monarchies...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:38:20 pm by HRHOlya » Logged
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 08:44:36 pm »

it will be sad if Victoria does not become Queen. The Swedish royal family are the sweetest (minus CG and CP's taste in women).
as for UK's family ... they just don't like the work but we don't see them refusing any of the perks..
beline
courtier

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 09:02:03 pm »

Victoria is one of the most hard-working and popular European royal heirs. That would be too bad if she does not become Queen.
Especially if the monarchy's popularity in Sweden decreased because of other members of the royal family's behaviour  thumbsdown

Though if Sweden becomes a republic, I can foresee the whole family coping well with it. Daniel used to work before his wedding and would have no trouble with working again. Madeleine and Chris could rely on Chris's business like they already mostly do. I have no idea what Carl Philip could do, but his wife could go back to some of her previous*ahem* jobs  shifty tehe
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 04:03:39 am »

I wonder what set the government off to do something this drastic. Something we should know about, or will soon?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: