Royal Gossip
July 21, 2017, 05:40:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedes tell King to step down for Victoria  (Read 6217 times)
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 05:45:57 am »

Would someone please tell me if CP was actually tje Crown Prince at birth and for yhe first year or two of his life when the law in Sweden was passed making Victoria the new heir to the throne? Did the government really just take it away from him and give his birth right to his sister? I have ever only heard conflicting stories -about this situation. Thanks.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 06:05:15 am »

The law was presented in December 1977. Changes to the constitution require two parliamentary decisions.
The first approval was on April 20, 1978. The vote was 156 to 14 (135 members abstaining).
Carl Philip was born on May 13, 1979.
The second vote was on November 7, 1979. The vote was 165 to 21 (147 members abstaining).
The law went into effect on January 1, 1980, when Carl Philip was seven months old.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 06:13:29 am »

Prince Carl Philip was born in May 1979, and at birth became the Heir Apparent, as Swedish royalty followed the precedent of agnatic promigenture, (male heirs first) which the BRF also followed until recently. Unfortunately for him, while he was still a tiny baby the Swedish Parliament passed a law abolishing agnatic promigenture. This law came into place on January 1st 1980. The King Carl Gustav argued against it being retrospective but in vain. So Victoria became Heir Apparent (Crown Princess) a position she holds today. Carl Gustav has never got over it, according to some reports.

I wouldn't be getting too excited about the Swedish royals going any time soon, with 65% support in the country. (That's less, by the way, than Norway, 82% and Denmark, 77%, but still substantial.) There's been a fierce debate about Madeleine's apanage (allowance) in Parliament of late (it's the time of the year when the Royal allowances are debated and she lives in London. The King, Carl Gustav, doles out the family allowances from what he receives, and he's not popular.)

Also, if the Swedish Parliament wishes to be democratic it will give the population a say. And this is just one report in one newspaper.
kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 07:28:11 am »

I wonder what set the government off to do something this drastic. Something we should know about, or will soon?

^ I hope we will. If anyone is from Sweden here, please tell us everything. 

leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 09:24:08 am »

^^ Yes, it was taken from him, but to be fair, they were working on the law since a few months after Victoria was born, and the first vote passed more than a year before Carl Philip was born. Parliament's intention had always been for Victoria to keep her place as heir to the throne, but it took a little while to pass it completely because of how Swedish law works (requires two rounds of voting... otherwise it would have gone into effect on January 1, 1979 instead of taking another year). I guess it was kind of similar for George, except they started the law before he was born (did not know his gender, and wanted to make sure he kept his place even if he was a girl and ended up having a younger brother someday) and were able to pass things quickly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: