Royal Gossip
December 14, 2017, 08:49:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Queen to Invite Kate to BP Royal Christmas Party  (Read 5821 times)
MOSAIC
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 07:38:34 pm »

Thank you Meememe and Giamodel60 for your explanations and the information, most of which I already understood.
What I was objecting to was the way certain news organisations. here in the UK, in the US and Australian networks persist in calling her Princess Catherine.  That as you say is wrong.  Also wrong is the increasing tendency to call her Duchess Kate.  No such title exists in this country.  It does on the continent.  Maybe she should live there, if only!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 02:14:27 am »

Princess, Duchess, Countess commoner....What ever!
The title that sticks and counts in my eyes is simple: Lazy Waity
She always was and always will be that 'title' to me king

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Acornia
Countess

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 04:52:26 am »

Re: the Duchess Kate thing, it is wrong, but it's just the shortcut way of the media. Wasn't Diana called Lady Di even after she was married? I've read comments where people get themselves into a fit whenever someone doesn't use Kate's proper title and calls her Kate Middleton instead. Seriously, what's the difference?

akasha - I've also read that some people think that people still calling Kate 'Waity Katie' are just the bitter, jealous types.  tehe You don't say.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 05:41:26 am »

Akasha is the one who got Kate's title correct no matter what the fans want to call her Royal lazy butt.
June
Duchess

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 08:36:10 am »

^ I agree.  thumbsup

@June,
Seriously now, I'm sincerely confused. Gia asserts KM married as a Duke. Still, he's Prince William. Not that I'm advocating for KM to be called 'Princess' but I'm so confused.

Well, I'm glad it isn't just me who is confused. I'm still waiting to be advised as to why William could ever be considered a 'commoner' - in this lifetime, on the mortal plane.  huh

I believe that gia's explanation is the best and most simple to understand. Otherwise, questions such as the one I posed arise.  Shocked
Acornia
Countess

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 10:32:52 am »

Maybe Wikipedia has the answer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commoners_in_the_United_Kingdom

In British law, a commoner is someone who is neither the Sovereign nor a peer. Therefore, any member of the Royal Family who is not a peer, such as Prince Harry of Wales or Anne, Princess Royal, is (technically) a commoner, as is any member of a peer's family, including someone who holds only a courtesy title,

sly sly So I take it that the style of Princess/Prince is just a 'courtesy title' even if one belongs in the RF? And since William was given the title of a Duke (a peerage) upon his marriage he made the jump from commoner to peer?

I think it's easier to understand with the nobility. Unless you're a peer, you're a commoner, even if you use courtesy titles. It's just harder to get my head around with 'royal commoners'.  dontknow
giamodel60
Countess

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 03:52:20 pm »

It was explained in another par of the forum and I can't find it.

The crux is the palace confirmed like , Sophie And fergie she is not a princess
It wasnt like Camilla who thy said would not use the title she should use out
Of deference to Diana.

It's different . Prince of wales is Charles main title

Pwilliams is not ... He is officially duke of Cambridge that is his regal title

And even Camilla couldn't be princess Camilla she'd be princess of wales

http://secretroyalforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=1468

There is Richards comments and our laughter

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:00:29 pm by giamodel60 » Logged

If you don't Beleive what I write don't read it. . Please ignore and move on , I'd rather not explain myself to you 100 times !
RedRabbit
royal watcher

Harryite #28

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 07:39:26 am »

Some people seem to be under the impression that Princess is a more important title than that of Duchess when the opposite is actually the case as Princess indicates that her husband is still a commoner while Duchess indicates that her husband is a peer of the realm.

meememe, thank you, I had little idea about the peer/ess system.  I learned a lot from you.  I thought prince or princess outranked everyone that wasn't a fellow prince/ss (though they have their own internal rankings) or king or queen but apparently it's sort of a generic placeholder until if and when a specific title comes along.  Apparently Harry is technically a commoner and Anne declined titles to give her kids a more normal life.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:43:28 am by RedRabbit » Logged

If you resort to personal attacks, name-calling, and other forms of abuse against me, you are admitting you have lost the argument and have nothing worthwhile to say. 

Not joining in with your starry-eyed hero worship does not make me delusional, it means I have no interest in drinking your poisoned Kool-Aid. 

Have a nice day.
royalwindsorfan
gossip insider

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 11:30:47 pm »

You guys still don't get it.

A princess is the wife of a Prince.  A Prince is a commoner - can sit in the House of Commons.

A Duchess is the wife of a Duke.  A Duke is a peer of the realm - a far more important title than that of princess.

William was promoted on his wedding day from commoner to peer - from prince to duke and so his wife, although still a commoner, was able to move up the feed chain from Princess William to HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - because Duke is a substantive title while Prince is the title of a commoner - like Prince Michael - no substantive title so his wife is Princess Michael.

She is the only wife of a prince who uses the Princess title because her husband has nothing better to give her - even Diana was never Princess Diana but HRH The Princess of Wales but she was a princess - as the wife of a prince - she was Princess Charles (as is Camilla today) but because Charles has substantive titles his wives haven't had to use the default position.

Some people seem to be under the impression that Princess is a more important title than that of Duchess when the opposite is actually the case as Princess indicates that her husband is still a commoner while Duchess indicates that her husband is a peer of the realm.

I will stick with the letter I received from BP - Kate is a Princess but it is inaccurate to call her Princess William, wrong to call her Princess Catherine as she is the wife of a peer of the realm she is entitled to the more important style of Duchess of Cambridge - just as it is now wrong to officially refer to William as Prince William - he is HRH The Duke of Cambridge.  If you look at the CC only two princes are mentioned - HRH Prince Henry of Wales and HRH Prince Michael of Kent.  All the other princes - Charles, William, Andrew, Edward, Richard, Edward (Duke of Kent) and Philip get their titles while, except for Philip, their wives have the feminine of their titles while the Princesses born (also commoners) get the Princess titles.

oh,i always thought a princess was higher than a duchess.why wasn't Charles and Diana ever made duke and duchess
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 02:08:12 am »

They were
Charles is both prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay (Scotland) and a couple of earls and baron and lord titles as well.
from wiki
The Prince's style and title in full: His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief Grand Companion of the Order of Logohu, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty

Most ppl just stick to the first one and since Diana as his wife got all the female versions of those titles she was: princess, duchess, countess, baroness, and lady all in one as long as they were married.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 04:48:49 am »

Prince William and Kate Middleton were bestowed with not one but three new titles. Middleton is now a duchess, countess and baroness -- but not a princess.

Charles and Diana were also Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, amongst other titles.

mysha
Countess

What should have been

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 12:28:02 pm »

prokates  still no Princess..how sad. Still as common as muck .They try to continue to sell us the country girl down to earth malarky. No down to earth girl would care, she would be happy knowing in spite of her lack of social standing, she got the man she loves. Love would mean she does not give a jot about titles other than wife............................... sob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: