Royal Gossip
June 24, 2018, 10:20:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gun Debate In The USA  (Read 5876 times)
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 01:09:56 am »

They have public gun shows and auctions all the time maybe not in California but even that state has it's own gun violence. Guns are everywhere in the USA and that is a fact. There are more guns in private hands in the USA than they are in Europe.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 01:22:58 am »

These were armed police, not gun shows.  And very scary.  Never, EVER, have I seen that in my entire life on American soil.  And certainly never shoved around at an airport as I was overseas.  Sorry.  This time, it was a pleasure to be on American soil in the gun department.  Private ownership is one thing.   Public use around citizens is something new to me.

Of course there are more private guns owned in the US.  There are 300M people here.  The FBI has already stated that only 3% of killings in the US were caused by firearms last year.  That is in my above article and is a fact that needs to be looked at, that's all.

For the record, I do not believe that private citizens in the US should have legal access to military assault rifles.  EVER.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 02:03:14 am »

^

with yooper on having assault weapons not in the hands of private individuals.

If we can get federal background checks, enforce the existing laws currently on books, and harshen the penalties for criminals who use guns in the commission of a crime, its a step forward.  Taking the position that everything is just hunky dory in the US with its current controls, is having your head up your behind.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 04:33:30 am »

Well I see guy's with uzi type guns at the airport every day, they are special police troops that secure the Jewish El-Al flight to Tel Aviv.
Heck El-Al gate security has hand guns under their vest and they're allowed to carry and use it if they deem it necessary.
It's on of those things that El-Al insist on having on every airport they land at, armed security officers from mossad at the gate and two cop's with uzi and let me tell ya it's intimidating as sh*t when these guy's come by us! (for some reason none of the pax get big mouth when they are in the neighbourhood, wonder why... tehe)
The mossad guy (and lady) looks a bit like CIA or FBI: nice suit, earpiece ya know the look, but they are very polite and nice when you speak to them really.

But other then that I only saw the big gun's come out in public at the embassy of US and UK security and of course the nato headquarters.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 04:23:52 pm »

^And when we were shopping!  That one shocked me, I must say.  But am learning.

Here are Obama's Executive Orders signed today on gun 'safety', not gun control:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/01/16/here-are-the-23-executive-orders-on-gun-safety-signed-today-by-the-president/

Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make itwidely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effectiveuse of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to developinnovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

It does not appear that any of the executive orders would have any impact on the guns people currently own-or would like to purchase- and that all proposals regarding limiting the availability of assault weapons or large ammunition magazines will be proposed for Congressional action. As such, any potential effort to create a constitutional crisis—or the leveling of charges that the White House has overstepped its executive authority—would hold no validity.

So, we have, basically, gone nowhere with this.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 01:43:01 am »

Well I see guy's with uzi type guns at the airport every day, they are special police troops that secure the Jewish El-Al flight to Tel Aviv.
Heck El-Al gate security has hand guns under their vest and they're allowed to carry and use it if they deem it necessary.
It's on of those things that El-Al insist on having on every airport they land at, armed security officers from mossad at the gate and two cop's with uzi and let me tell ya it's intimidating as sh*t when these guy's come by us! (for some reason none of the pax get big mouth when they are in the neighbourhood, wonder why... tehe)
The mossad guy (and lady) looks a bit like CIA or FBI: nice suit, earpiece ya know the look, but they are very polite and nice when you speak to them really.

But other then that I only saw the big gun's come out in public at the embassy of US and UK security and of course the nato headquarters.

El-Al has been doing that for security for a very long time. All Police officers in the USA are armed also it kind of goes with the job. The gun debate is not about whether or not security personnel should have weapons though but about private citizens owning certain types of weapons or ammunition.

^ Everything has to start someplace and the USA is not a dictatorship the President can only accomplish so much with an Executive order.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 06:37:46 pm »

Guns is the subject, so I feel it's appropriate to include guns in that; correct me if I'm wrong, however, moderators.  Open assault rifles in public in all of these other 'safe' gun-controlled countries is relevant to the fact that I have never seen an assault/military weapon in my local shopping mall in the US.  Guns are not on our minds every waking moment nor are they used regularly in public arenas which would be, to me, a kind of signal to those who would use them that it's OK to use them.  Unless you're a police state.

[url]http://now.msn.com/joe-biden-says-shotguns-are-better-choices-than-assault-weapons[url]

Want to be safe after a disaster? Biden says you just need a shotgun
4 hrs ago
Peanut butter and jelly, Oreos and milk, Joe Biden and weird tangents: Some things are just better together. The veep took part in a Google Plus "Fireside Hangout" Thursday, fielding questions that were largely focused on guns and ammo. Biden quickly recategorized the administration's agenda as "gun safety," not gun control. When asked about the need for weapons after a natural disaster, Biden said the best thing anyone could do is buy a shotgun. "A shotgun will keep you a lot safer … than the assault [weapon] in somebody's hands who doesn't know how to use it," he said. He then illustrated by making a shotgun hand gesture, just in case we didn't know what he was talking about. [Source]

Man, he's an embarrassment.  Interesting comments.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:40:01 pm by Yooper » Logged

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2013, 07:03:14 pm »

I believe Gun control is the issue I don't know of anyone debating whether or not the Police should have weapons.

There are shops that sell guns maybe not in your mall but the USA is a large country and everything doesn't just occur in your area.

The large stores like Wal-Mart etc. all sell weapons.

Joe is right if one is not trained in shooting a shot gun would be better because with an automatic you could lose control and shoot the very people you are trying to protect.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2013, 12:51:59 am »

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130125/NEWS/130125040/Accidental-shooting-reported-at-Des-Moines-gun-show?nclick_check=1

The 54-year-old St. Charles resident told police he was showing off a .25 caliber pistol he thought was unloaded when he slid the action of the gun causing it to fire. The bullet went through his left palm, according to a Polk County Sheriff’s report.

The shooting occurred in 4H Exhibit Hall about an hour before the three-day gun show began.

The man told police he was trying to dry fire, or fire the gun without a round in it. He said the gun was unloaded when he checked it earlier in the week and he didn’t know who would have loaded it. Police found another loaded gun on the man’s table and unloaded it, according to the report.

Even people who deal with weapons do not know how to deal with them.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2013, 02:00:36 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/around-world-gun-rules-results-vary-wildly-075244259.html
JAPAN — THE NANNY STATE
In this country, guns are few and far between. And so is gun violence. Guns were used in only seven murders in Japan — a nation of about 130 million — in all of 2011, the most recent year for official statistics. According to police, more people — nine — were murdered with scissors.
SWITZERLAND — GUNS AND PEACE

Gun-rights advocates in the United States often cite Switzerland as an example of relatively liberal regulation going hand-in-hand with low gun crime.

The country's 8 million people own about 2.3 million firearms. But firearms were used in just 24 Swiss homicides in 2009, a rate of about 0.3 per 100,000 inhabitants. The U.S. rate that year was about 11 times higher.

BRAZIL — BEYOND REPAIR?

So how about a country that actually bans guns?

Since 2003, Brazil has come close to fitting that description. Only police, people in high-risk professions and those who can prove their lives are threatened are eligible to receive gun permits. Anyone caught carrying a weapon without a permit faces up to four years on prison.

But Brazil also tops the global list for gun murders.

According to a United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime study in 2011, 34,678 people were murdered by firearms in Brazil in 2008, compared to 34,147 in 2007. The numbers for both years represent a homicide-by-firearm rate of 18 per 100,000 inhabitants — more than five times higher than the U.S. rate.

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2013, 04:59:38 am »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57566658-504083/hadiya-pendleton-murder-teen-girl-who-performed-at-president-obamas-inauguration-fatally-shot-at-chicago-park-report-says/

A teenage girl who performed at President Obama's inauguration with her high school band earlier this month was shot to death Tuesday afternoon at a Chicago park, CBS Chicago reports.

Police said 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was taking shelter from the rain under a canopy at the park with about 12 other teenagers when a man jumped a fence, ran up to them and opened fire. The gunman then fled the scene in an automobile.

How many more dead children are acceptable for the NRA?
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:50 pm »

http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/school-shooting-reported-in-atlanta-georgia-jan-31-2013
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 08:17:50 pm »

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/05/arkansas-to-allow-concealed-guns-in-churches/
The Arkansas House of Representatives has overwhelmingly passed a measure that would allow concealed guns to be carried in churches and houses of worship, and the governor’s office says it plans to sign the bill.

The measure, which passed 85-8 on Monday, gives houses of worship the option of allowing concealed weapons.

Passed by the state Senate in an equally lopsided 28-4 vote last week, the bill states it is “immediately necessary for the preservation of the public peace, health, and safety” because “personal security is increasingly important.”

“A person should be allowed to carry a firearm in a church that permits the carrying of a firearm for personal security,” the bill reads.

The bill was originally sponsored by Republican state Sen. Bryan King from Green Forest, a rural town in northern Arkansas.

The idiocy in Arkansas bill.   Shocked
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2018, 10:10:50 am »

Parkland Student Emma González Opens Up About Her Fight for Gun Control

Name is Emma González. I’m 18 years old, Cuban and bisexual. I’m so indecisive that I can’t pick a favorite color, and I’m allergic to 12 things. I draw, paint, crochet, sew, embroider—anything productive I can do with my hands while watching Netflix.

But none of this matters anymore.

What matters is that the majority of American people have become complacent in a senseless injustice that occurs all around them. What matters is that most American politicians have become more easily swayed by money than by the people who voted them into office. What matters is that my friends are dead, along with hundreds upon hundreds of others all over the United States.
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/amp18715714/protesting-nra-gun-control-true-story/?__twitter_impression=true

Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart announce new gun restrictions

Dick's Sporting Goods, which has more than 600 shops, said it would no longer sell assault-style rifles, and backed "common sense gun reform".
Walmart later said it was raising the minimum age for anyone buying guns or ammunition to 21 years.
It came as Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School pupils returned to classes.
Grief counsellors were on hand as students and teachers arrived at the campus, two weeks after 17 of their peers were shot dead by an expelled former student with an AR-15 rifle.
In the aftermath of the 14 February shooting, pressure has mounted on US politicians to act on gun control and for corporations to cut ties with the powerful National Rifle Association (NRA).
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43223279

Donald Trump stuns allies by signalling backing for tighter gun control

Donald Trump has repeatedly endorsed a series of gun control proposals that put the Republican president at odds with the National Rifle Association and stunned lawmakers within his own party.

The president made the remarks during an extraordinary, hour-long White House meeting on Wednesday with congressional Republicans and Democrats who are under pressure to address gun violence in the aftermath of the massacre at a Florida high school earlier this month.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/28/trump-background-checks-gun-control

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2018, 08:05:18 pm »

2 dead, gunman at large after shooting at Central Michigan University

(CNN)Two people were fatally shot Friday after a gunman opened fire at Campbell Hall dormitory at Central Michigan University, campus police said.

James Eric Davis Jr., 19, was identified as a suspect in what campus police believe was a domestic dispute. It was the nation's 12th school shooting this year.
Last seen wearing mustard yellow jeans and a blue hoodie, the suspect was still at large and considered armed and dangerous, according to police.
People were advised "to take shelter," law enforcement and school officials said.
The shooting happened about 8:30 a.m. Friday on the dorm's fourth floor.
The violence came more than two weeks after a shooting rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, left 17 people dead and spurred a national debate over gun control.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/02/us/central-michigan-university-shots-fired/index.html?sr=twCNN030218central-michigan-university-shots-fired0950AMStory

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: