Royal Gossip
October 17, 2017, 04:14:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William and Kate snub German nobles on wedding invitations  (Read 4625 times)
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« on: November 05, 2012, 05:29:16 am »

William and Kate snub German nobles on wedding invitations

The only blue-blooded Teutons likely to attend the noble event of the year come from Hannover.

The young couple has invited some 1,900 guests to their nuptials at Westminster Abbey on April 29, and gossip is swirling about who may have been on the list. But German nobles have reportedly received conspicuously few of the coveted gilded envelopes.

President Christian Wulff is an expected guest as Germany's head of state, but it seems the German relatives of the royal family have been left out.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110221-33253.html

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:54:15 am »

My goodness that's an ancient one!
And frankly I have to say it's a rather silly article!
Of course they didn't invite the Sax-Coburgs or Schleswig-Holsteins, just like they didn't invite the Hohenzollern, the Wittelsbach or the Habsburgs to the wedding! wellduh
I don't recall seeing ppl from the French Bourbon, Anjou, Lorraine, Valois-Burgundy or the Italian Savoie, Sforsa's, Borgias and de Medici houses either.
I really don't think that ancient European noble family ties were that important to William and Kate at the time of the wedding!

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:38:36 pm »

But the germans are close family not like the french... Anyway there were german royals in the wedding but not the most famous.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:18:05 pm »

It's the principle of the thing; the BRF can no longer stand on the fact that they are royal, but the Coburgs are family and are used to frequent invitations to Windsor events. Second, it's not like WK are related closely to the celebrities that went, so why snub family, however distant?

I don't recall seeing ppl from the French Bourbon, Anjou, Lorraine, Valois-Burgundy or the Italian Savoie, Sforsa's, Borgias and de Medici houses either.
I really don't think that ancient European noble family ties were that important to William and Kate at the time of the wedding!

It would have been nice to see such people attend this rather than the celebrity, jet set riff raff that populated the Abbey. Convenient that they had royal settings, but got away with bringing who they wanted rather than bringing people who the rest of the world would actually be interested in seeing.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:49:36 am »

Now KF don't get ahead of yourself 'the rest of the world' hardly knows who the York sisters are!  tehe
They really don't give a fig about some nearly extinct old euro noble families!
Heck I think part of them just wanted to see what Victoria Beckham was wearing, they couldn't care less about the royals and their 'inbred blood ties to half of Europe's nobles'

Besides they did invited the closest coburgs relatives: the Belgian RF is sax-coburg!
And they invited the remaining Greek RF from PP side of the family.
That's the closest links they have to the german families.
How many cousin second grade twice removed (or something like that) would you invite to your wedding?

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 05:36:02 am »

Philip's sisters children and grandchildren would actually be closer relatives than the Greeks RF (who are his father's siblings descendents) or the Belgians who are even more distantly related - the Saxe-Coburg connection is through Victoria and Albert's uncle Leopold.

I agree that most people wouldn't invite their second and third cousins but it seems that they were the closest family not invited while more distant family were invited.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 05:53:38 am »

To be honest, I would have enjoyed seeing a parade of the European royals, enthroned or not. Imagine seeing French princes, French princesses, the various many Hapsburgs, but go figure, we got nothing but an endless array of oversexposed celebrities and the village of Buckelbury.

while more distant family were invited.

Along with a bunch of jokes.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »

Well I did read in the book 'young prince Philip' that he broke with most of his family due to the WWII, he was the only one who fought on the side of the English.
So who knows how much contact he has with his nieces and nephews.
None of his siblings were invited/allowed to his own wedding in '47 and they had to argue to let them come to the coronation in '53!

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 10:57:43 am »

He had one of his nephews/neices visit at Christmas last year.  He regularly saw his surviving sisters either on private visits to Germany or they would visit England.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:03:14 pm »

I read that he was very close to Cecilie who died in an airplane accident and was connected to the nazi party.

Although I like seeing royals, I feel it doesn't make sense to invite those who don't reign and are not close family. Then they also have the problem to decide which side of the family they invite as nearly all non reigning families argue about who is the head of the family and who should be the heir. If they only invite one side they are making a political statement that it's better to avoid.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 01:15:53 am »

The BRF does not like to be reminded of their German ancestry.  tehe
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 02:52:46 am »

Although I like seeing royals, I feel it doesn't make sense to invite those who don't reign and are not close family. Then they also have the problem to decide which side of the family they invite as nearly all non reigning families argue about who is the head of the family and who should be the heir. If they only invite one side they are making a political statement that it's better to avoid.

Well, if they can invite celebrities they have nothing in common with (Joss Stone, just because she organized a concert over three years ago? Beckham, a flimsy acquaintance because William and him went to the World Cup bid?) and if they are going to invite distant people, then frankly it should be people who would be of interest, a half a dozen glamorous Continenal royalties and aristocrats would spark interest and I know I would enjoy seeing them arrive. They could invite Uncle Fester.

Catrina
courtier

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 06:28:15 am »

My goodness that's an ancient one!
And frankly I have to say it's a rather silly article!
Of course they didn't invite the Sax-Coburgs or Schleswig-Holsteins, just like they didn't invite the Hohenzollern, the Wittelsbach or the Habsburgs to the wedding! wellduh

Do half of those families exist to this day?
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:22:57 am »

Yes, they do, just under the radar. They do have as elegant and regal lifestyles, but they don't live a public life because they are not taxpayer supported.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 11:57:27 am »

Oh yes the names may have changed but most of the houses are still alive even if its through a female line

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 02:34:17 pm »

I jut believe that it would have done better considering that it turned into a major taxpayer funded tackfest. At least for the fun of the public it would have been nice to see all those posh titles arriving.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: