Royal Gossip
April 20, 2019, 08:11:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE REAL LIFE DOWNTON ABBEY: THE TRUE STORY OF SERVANTS  (Read 924 times)
Snokitty
Princess

« on: September 26, 2012, 04:30:01 am »

http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/348130/The-real-life-Downton-Abbey-The-true-story-of-servants

THE SERVANTS' RULES

• Never let your voice be heard by the ladies and gentlemen of the house.

• Always "give room" if you meet one of your employers or betters on the stairs and avert your gaze.

• Always stand still when being spoken to by a lady and look at the person speaking to you.

• Never begin to talk to ladies and gentlemen.

• Servants should never offer any opinion to their employers, nor even to say good night.

• Never talk to another servant in the presence of your mistress.

• Never call from one room to another and always answer when you have received an order.

• Always keep outer doors fastened. Only the butler may answer the bell.

• No servant is to take any knives or forks or other article, nor on any account to remove any provisions, nor ale or beer out of the hall.

• The female staff are forbidden from smoking.

• Any maid found fraternising with a member of the opposite sex will be dismissed without a hearing.

• Any breakages or damage to the house will be deducted from wages.

Servants - The True Story Of Life Below Stairs starts on BBC Two on September 28.

I am afraid I would have made a terrible servant.  tehe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:35:46 am »

Yup me too tehe

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: