Royal Gossip
August 20, 2017, 10:47:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Duchy of Cornwall  (Read 25118 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 06:10:30 pm »

Aha! ^ so that's approx £5.9 million each off the top of my head. WOW!  blink

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 06:13:14 pm »

Thank you Snokitty had a lovely day  thankyou
Just realised that link re the QM's will gave us an interesting little extra bit of info with regard to the trust fund left to her great grandchildren - all ten of them not just HM's chldren but Princess Margaret's too.

It says she put 2/3rds of her fortune into a trust fund for them in 1993 when the tax situation became unavoidable.

It also says she left £70 million free of tax (anyone leaving over £250,000 has to pay tax on it)

Under a 1993 agreement with John Major's Conservative government, the Queen will pay no inheritance tax on her mother's estimated £70m fortune.

So by a rough calculation 2/3rds is approx £46 million - divided by 10 is a very nice £4.6 million each for the W&H, Zara and Peter, Bea and Eugenie, Lady Louise and James and the Linleys - David and Sarah.

As that will have increased through investment each appears to be sitting on a tidy sum and none of them has any need of any public funding.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1974678.stm

It's sounding to me that all the time, the money always goes back to the RF. As for the upkeep, I wonder just how much these palaces cost to actually maintain. Barely anything is paid to staff of these palaces and apparently they are hardly maintained in any modern manner, so where is it all going?

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 10:57:48 pm »

@ leila: Ok so that would make it 5.75 M£ per head tehe (calculator told me so)
That was ten years ago, so keeping in mind the economy..
My guess is that roughly at the moment it's about 10M or perhaps 12M per kid just from QM
Add to that Diana's money and the Wales brothers seem to be rather comfy in the financial part..
It was a smart move to set that money into trust funds that way it couldn't be used to settle her debts 'cause that lady sure knew how to live well!
Now I can see how someone can have a multimillion fortune and still be short on cash Cool

But we are drifting..
Oh BTW TB the reason I give the websites as a source is simple: it's the only decent one I can find from behind my PC in Belgium.
I never said it was an objective or even a complete source  easter-wink
Heck most ppl don't even know what the duchy's are never mind having an good idea of the funds they move/make, for an outsider it's just too complicated/time consuming to find decent info on these constructs (which is what they are counting on of course)
But I fear that the 'mystery shroud' attitude might come back to bite them in the *rse sooner or later.
I mean it's the same thing as with the midd's business why hide it, if everything is done correct there's no need to hide it.

KF methinks some of it might be going to the Alps or the Caribbean or perhaps South of France?

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 11:19:49 pm »

the Alps or the Caribbean or perhaps South of France?

Sooner or later I am certain that someone is going to find out; if Charles has been moving his money overseas to overseas accounts, I am certain that there would be a huge uproar since after all, it is certain that this time he would be caught out shirking his tax duties all the while pushing for more of a say in British affairs.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 11:47:39 pm »

you know...
Sometimes I think Charles senses/knows the end of the system is drawing nearer, like a dog can sense the storm before it happens.
And that why he's twisting, turning and moving stuff now he still can, making sure his family is financially safe when it all comes crashing down.
He knows that as king he won't be this flexible or unwatched so he acts while he still can.
The titanic is still sailing but i think he sees the iceberg ahead.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 11:51:37 pm »

I think you are right but I think his family is more than financially secure right now.

I have wondered many times whether or not Charles will be allowed to be King or if the Monarchy will be able to survive with him as King but between the two of them Charles would be better than William.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 12:12:12 am »

Ah who was it again that said 'you can never be to thin or to rich'? Cool

memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:04 am »

how poetic!!  BFF2

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 12:25:40 am »

@ akasha  I don't remember but I think they were wrong.   huh

If you get to thin you are taking a chance of dying and if you get to rich you can't really trust anyone because they will be wanting your riches even if they have to kill you to get it.   laugh
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 02:37:42 am »

you know...
Sometimes I think Charles senses/knows the end of the system is drawing nearer, like a dog can sense the storm before it happens.
And that why he's twisting, turning and moving stuff now he still can, making sure his family is financially safe when it all comes crashing down.
He knows that as king he won't be this flexible or unwatched so he acts while he still can.

I believe you're right mainly because there is realistically no way that a collapse is avoidable.

fyeah_harryshotabs
courtier

Iz ther sumfin in muh teef?

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 02:47:35 am »

No wonder Linley can afford to buy a luxury villa in France blink

MiniMidds OrganiSSr...pm meh 4 A nUmbA iFz uz LuV pinkheart DuCheSS CaTheRinE pinkheart pinkheart

BElievE ThA Pr...itz 4reeL. ShEz STUNNING..Uz jUz JeLLuS!!
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 09:40:54 am »

you know...

^   worship Completely agree Akasha he's grabbing it while he can and I belive this is why he has pushed for a percentage of the Crown Estates. Charles has always believed these are his family's private property although they were handed over to the Govt 300 years ago. They do renew the arrangement with each new Sovereign but it's merely a procedure and as we have no written constiution everything is based on statute and to a large degree - custom and practice.

The constitutional experts will argue it all but there is an important legal precedent concerning the exiled King Constantine of Greece who now lives in London. He tried to claim back what was his family's former summer palace which is situated north of Athens. It went all the way to the Strasbourg Courts of Human Rights but they ruled he no longer had any claim over it.

The Greek Govt did pay some 10% of its value in compensation although the value was that of a ruined estate. By a quirk of fate the palace has now been put up for sale by the Greek Govt as they attempt to reduce their debts. He could buy it back from them. Who knows?

BTW Found a bit more re the QM's legacy:

In 1994, the Queen Mother reportedly put aside two-thirds of her money into a trust fund for her great grandchildren.
Princes William and Harry will reportedly share about £14m from the estate of their late great grandmother.
St James's Palace could be let to Crown bodies for functions
The bulk of the cash will go to the younger brother, since William will benefit financially by becoming king.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1993665.stm

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
rogue
Duchess

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 08:30:05 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-charles/9583920/1m-from-those-who-die-without-wills-passes-to-Prince-Charless-estate.html

Under powers dating back to medieval times, the Duchy is entitled to all unclaimed property and estates left when someone dies in Cornwall, in an arrangement known as bona vacantia.
In the last financial year alone, £552,000 passed to the Duchy under the ancient law, which was put in place when the Duchy was created by Edward III in 1337 for his son and heir, Edward, the Black Prince.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 08:53:28 pm »

Obscene.

Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »

^Totally.

There's some further reading about bona vacantia here:
http://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/In%20depth/Bona%20Vacantia/index.php

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:54 pm »

That is ridiculous. Completely ridiculous; he hardly needs the money and I think there is some chicanery going on.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:45 pm »

And what has Charles been doing with this money for the last 40 years?

He has given it to charity in Cornwall - as has been known also for years.If

There is no chicanery just the law - an ancient law but still the law.

The same right exists for the Queen in relation to the Duchy of Lancaster lands - she gets personally all intestate estates - but it isn't known what she does with that money.

Elsewhere in the UK the money goes to the government to spend on whatever it wants.  If the person is in Cornwall the money stays in Cornwall because that is what Charles wanted to have happen 40 years ago so it helps the people of Cornwall.  If the law is changed the money will go whereever the government decides and that probably won't be all to Cornwall.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 11:53:38 pm »

It doesn't really matter who is getting the money or if the Duchy of Lancaster is also doing it. IMO that does not make it right everything should go to the closest relative.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 03:12:48 am »

and what if there are none?

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 03:18:32 am »

If there are none then it should revert to the elected government thereby giving the benefit to the people.

Charles always acts so charitable (and he does do many charitable things) but he wants credit for all of it and that is just not the facts. He should take his share of the credit and give others their share of the credit. Just my opinion though and I can't change any of it but I do donate to causes that want to change it.   tehe

I also believe the Duchy monies belong to the people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: