Royal Gossip
April 21, 2019, 09:56:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books on the British Royal Family  (Read 7089 times)
Mooster
Duchess

"William, stop worrying...the paps wouldn't dare!"

« on: September 11, 2012, 11:39:32 pm »

There are so many books out there, it would be good if we could have a dedicated thread where forum members can go to find recommended (or not) reading material.  I'll start: (mods if I've put in too many spoilers, please edit for me  thumbsup )

The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown:-  This contained some interesting information about Diana's mother Frances and her background which I haven't read in other books.

The Killing of a Princess by Nicholas Davies:-  I'm about two thirds of the way through this book. Strangely, I had to have this shipped in from the USA because it's not available in the UK  dontknow  Lots of detail about Diana as a person, particularly the dark side of her character - however, it balances it out with glowing references to her charitable work.  It also raises strongly the probability of Harry not being sired by Charles.  Also, it says that Diana was not a virgin and was already sleeping with Charles before their marriage.

The Housekeeper's Diary:-  Again, banned it Britain and I had to have it shipped in from the USA.  Fascinating behind the scenes staff account of life at Highgrove - a real eye opener.

Diana, Zac, Jemima, Ben and Sir James Goldsmith    

Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:59:45 pm »

I've probably read or own every book written about Diana since 1981. Also have read a few on the Duchess of York and have a few on the Queen. Am interested in history too - especially the Romanovs.

Mooster
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:22:01 am »

Cressida - are there any you particulaly recommend?  I'm interested not only in Diana, but in the BRF past and present - I also like books about Royalty that introduce new ideas or new perspectives on old ones.

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:24:44 am »

Mooster does The Killing of a Princess explain how he knows Diana wasn't a Virgin or that she was having sex with Charles?
Mooster
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:46:56 am »

^ Yes, he does.

Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:56:19 am »

hello   Mooster there are some interesting ones from different perspectives eg. Ken Wharfe's book about his time protecting the princess and Patrick Jephson's on his time working with her. Obviously there are the Burrell ones which have some nice snippets of previously unknown info and some photos of inside Diana's KP apartment.

Diana's old nanny Mary Clarke and the American lady she worked for in 1980, Mary Robertson, both give a good insight in to their relationship with Diana.

A very good book on Diana's impact on the Royals etc is How Sexual Politics shook the Monarchy by Beatrix Campbell.

In terms of general biographies, I much preferred Sarah Bradford's to Sally Bedell Smith's.

I don't know if this helps at all.

Mooster
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 12:34:28 pm »

thankyou Cressida, I can't wait to get reading!!

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 03:44:44 pm »

Recently as all of you may have noticed  shifty I read Starkey's book on Fergie. He was a friend and business partner to the man who licked Fergie's toes. Spoilers to his story in my review! He tries to appear unbiased and a neutral party but Fergie's involvement in the bankruptcy of his business means that he must be bitter. You can see that as he criticises Fergie but he is very careful to talk about the BRF. He is very kind to Andrew and he doesn't say anything interesting about the rest of the family.

It's a good book to know how Fergie lived during the divorce process and how her mind works. Her dealing with money is also explained in detail, also how she used her charities to improve her quality of life. As an interesting detail you read about Fergie's friend and employee that killed her boyfriend in the book, she appears a lot.

I've also read, but a long time ago, Royal Babylon; it's about the bizarreness of all the european royal families. I liked it because it goes in chronological order in every RF so you get a good general view of the whole family through the ages. Some of the stories are possibly exaggerated so you can take it as all the rumours of all the RFs  tehe It's easy to read and very interesting so for me it was a very good read and I recommend it.

I wanted to mention a book about the BRF that is quite good if you are starting as a royal watcher but I forgot the name  Embarrassed it's a biased in favour about the BRF and it starts with Q. Victoria until the divorce of Di, anyone knows which book I'm talking about?

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
dianab
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:39:45 pm »

^^Alexandrine, I think the book you forgot the name is by Donald Spoto.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 05:46:25 pm »

yes! Thank you! The title is The Decline and Fall of the House of Windsor.

From Daniel Spoto I've also read Grace Kelly's bio, but please don't buy it, it's just the summaries of all her movies.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:52:41 pm »

I wasn't keen on Starkey's book - he came across as a real slime! I don't know what Fergie was doing associating with those people. I was watching some old footage on youtube of Fergie in 1986 when she first came on the scene, and I loved her then. She had that mad curly hair and seemed a breath of fresh air. I can't believe what she turned in to.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:24 pm »

But imo she didn't turn into nothing, she was already that. Considering the last shenanigans she has been into this couple of years it's also obvious that she hasn't changed.

Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 07:01:02 pm »

Perhaps you are right - I think she is incapable of learning from her mistakes and very self-destructive. In some ways I can see why Diana distanced herself from her.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 07:46:05 pm »

Imo that's what I liked about Starkey's book, you can see how Fergie operates.

Sunny
royal watcher

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11:30 pm »

Has anyone read Kitty Kelley's book? I was considering buying it but didn't know if it would be worth the money!
Alexander
royal watcher

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 10:47:35 pm »

I highly recommend J. Randy Taraborrellis book Once Upon a time, about Grace and Rainier. It also goes into great detail about Princesses Caroline and Stephanie,  while white washing Albert, but besides that it's a truly wonderful book.
Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 12:49:29 am »

I've read Kitty Kelleys book - it was OK but abit too hyped.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 06:50:04 pm »

I've bought Diana vs. Charles: royal blood feud by James Whitaker. Good or bad?

Mon Roi Henry IX
Countess

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 06:58:09 pm »

To me a great book of the British RF book is:
The Queen Mother: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, Who Became Queen Elizabeth The Queen by Lady Colin Campbell.

When you're done your eyes will be popping! out of your head. blink Worth the money but you cannot buy it in Britain. It can be bought in Amazon though.
 flirt
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:03:15 pm by Mon Roi Henry IX » Logged
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 07:10:22 pm »

is Lady Colin Campbell believable? Because I don't even know if she can use that name

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: