Royal Gossip
June 29, 2017, 03:05:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen's DJ trip to Scotland cost the taxpayer £250,000  (Read 2161 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:59 pm »

Republic's Scotland group has revealed that HM's Diamond Jubilee week long tour to Scotland cost the taxpayer £250,000. Actually that's the council tax payers in each town she visited although what on earth they were doing in Glasgow to spend £149,000 to entertain HM for a couple of hours seems to be raising a few eyebrows.

Perhaps they opened a new building in her name?

http://www.republicscotland.org/2012/latest-update/queen%E2%80%99s-week-in-scotland-cost-taxpayer-250000/

It looks like they put on a street party for residents. The Red Hot Chilli Pipers (not Peppers) were on and I've seen them they are brilliant - rock and rolll bagpipes.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/QUEENSDIAMONDJUBILEE.htm
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:14:21 pm by True Brit » Logged

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
FrillyKnickers
gossip insider

So many heads, so many wits.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:18:05 pm »

These countries really should set budgets with HM and The Duke, and during a recession, they should know better.  bignono 

I'd like to know, who in The BRF really wants to slim down the monarchy, 'cause it sure ain't  Pippa Lilibeth and Sir Duke.  Pippa

People will say, "Well, it's THE Queen. SO, we can make an exception." But, are these people asking if the taxpayers want to pay for it?

Also, I want to to see how much money they earned in return for the HM's visit. I want to see these supposed profits that she brings in.  study For me to be convinced the The Queen & The Duke bring in as much money as people say when they do these visits-which let's be honest, these visits are not meant to sell cups and postcards-and whether they're even worth it.  eightball

Even a smart business person knows there needs to be a little give and take, and, if The BRF were a company who wanted to do a joint venture with me, I'd go broke supporting them.  oooh

She's popular in her own country, and yet during the wedding, etc. many businesses LOST profits  sorry . All of those creepy Elizabeth masks and a lame duck "concert" couldn't pull in enough profit for these folks to break even.  there
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

^^Could it be security costs?  That's a head scratcher and a lot of dough for one visit.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:48:04 pm »

Republic's Scotland group has revealed that HM's Diamond Jubilee week long tour to Scotland cost the taxpayer £250,000. Actually that's the council tax payers in each town she visited although what on earth they were doing in Glasgow to spend £149,000 to entertain HM for a couple of hours seems to be raising a few eyebrows.
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/QUEENSDIAMONDJUBILEE.html

These are just vanity trips, with no benefit. I understand if it's an important occasion, but since it's so random, these appearances are just such a waste and a disruption. Just a pointless disruption in everyone's day and time and wasting their money on vanity apperances.

To be perfectly frank, it's as if the entire monarchy is a mistress that is costing more and more and demanding more and more deference and yet, being nothing more than a distraction from problems that plague the country.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:58 am »

The point though is what do people actually want the monarch to do?

If it is not go out and be seen then that is fine and will cost a lot less but if the people want to see their monarch then they have to pay the costs involved.

The Queen could still do her job and simply see her PM once a week and read and sign all the documents - with none of the pomp and circumstance or meeting the people that she does now and she would still be doing her job.

However it seems to me that the majority of the people expect to actually see the monarch out and about and that costs money - can't have it both ways - can't have her going about seeing ordinary people and being seen by ordinary people without some costs and these have to be born by the people.

Republic has its agenda of course but I don't get the feeling from my family, friends, acquaintances, visits, the press etc that there is a real call for a republic in Britian which would indicate that the public are largely prepared to pay for the visits of the royals and appreciate these visits.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 03:16:53 am »

They should be seen, but the cities and countries that they visit should not pay so much; the royals don't really have any reason to visit these places and while being seen is good, it shouldn't cost so much and there shouldn't be so much disruption. If the royals go anywehre, the royal visiting should be required to make concessions like for instance, not taking over entire hotels or asking for redecorations or closing businesses and such.

As for the royals, a new role, frankly that is something they should figure out on their own, not on the public dime. It's time for them to figure themselves out and figure out their own role in society and less about how society can serve the monarchy.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 03:42:23 am »

As the royals can't go anywhere without security - that is the police - it is the police that determine the degree of disruption based on the activity, the expected size of the crowd who wish to see them and the risk involved in the event.  This is the same procedure for any other offical public figure in any country - their visits are pre-checked by their security who determine exactly the level needed, and thus the costs involved.

The public do turn out to see the royals so they aren't objecting to the royals visiting.

It isn't always possible to point a dollars and cents (or pounds and pence) value on everything.

Making people feel good and even special because they are seeing the royal and getting a chance to speak with them etc can't be measured in terms of money.  It is like the Olympics - yes they cost a lot and there is always criticism of the costs, but the benefits in terms of social well-being engendered for even that short period of time is worth it in so many ways to the city and country (during the Sydney Olympics I couldn't use my local train station as it was shut down for the games, had trouble using the roads at certain times of the day because of the buses going to the main Olympic stadium, had to put up with the road being redone twice in the year before the games - once to simply reseal it so that visitors could have a smooth ride and secondly to redo it after they realised that they hadn't put in enough water pipes for the Media Village - and that was from 11.00 p.m. to 4.00 a.m. every day for 2 months both times etc etc but the city was a wonderful place to be during that time - cost us a lot but the good feeling was worth it).

You have said that the royals should be seen but not who should pay for the expenses that being seen engenders and their various visits to cost - who is to bear that cost? 
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:44 am »

The issue here re costs is that the royal finances are shrouded in secrecy and hide behind exemption from Freedom of Information legislation. It looks like Republic had to FOI the local councils to get this information from each one. In other words people just accept things as they are and wouldn't dream of making their own enquiries and the demise of local newspapers who used to send reporters to council meetings and dig out these facts has made this worse.

I am not entirely convinced there is this huge demand for people to see the royal family. However if a council decides to invite them for their own self agrandissment then they set into action a chain which whips up interest - giving children the day off school, the schools start ramping it up with royal related projects, the town centre gets a sudden, previously unaffordable, facelift and on it goes until people turn up to see them.

I recall a royal visit when my children were small and a group of mums were not very keen on the school pushing it at us following the wedding of C&D where the kids were made to hold a royale wedding. Although we complained to the head that it was brainwashing we didn't stop the kids taking part as it would single them out and so reluctantly went along with it. Mums too days off work to take the children to see the royals and they saw very little, got trampled on, a couple were sick with the heat and fatigue and it was not that great. It was surprising how many people thought it a waste of time and money but very few actually complained and so the councils think everyone wants to do it.

Republic indeed do have an agenda - it's a republic - but they are a decent source of facts in this royal fog. I do think their main problem is appearing to be partypoopers when the royals have the best parties, publicly funded of course and this adds to the reason people want to come along as it's fun, you'll see the Queen etc etc -state rock stars if you like.

It was George V who pushed this "visibility" as he knew that they had to wage a massive PR war to keep them in the daily lives of people and to keep them relevant. There had been almost a republic when Victoria hid herself away for so many years and, of course, the fate of various members of his family in Europe during and after World War 1 prompted this move.

The problem is we are now have the heir to the heir and now a spouse and they are looking for things for them to do - hence the ridiulous Olympic Amassadors. Sorry going slightly off topic but I do find the whole thing fascinating and the royal tours IMHO are actually for the royals own PR not for much else.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:54:14 pm »

I don't know what should be donebut bluntly put, the royals don't really interact with the crowd at all, they show up, greet people, stay for a half hour/hour at most, wave their hands, have staff collect bouquets, and then end up leaving, with all that expense and disruption.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:00 pm »

On the occasions when I have been at events I have found that it depends on the event as to how much interaction there is.

If it is something like Trooping the Colour then no there is no interaction.

If it is a visit to something like a hospital then there is interaction with the staff and patients and often a chance for well-wishers to speak to the royal in question.

I have been at a number of events, here at home and again in Britain and the only time I have seen no interaction with the people present was at the large events in The Mall but at the smaller events there has always been interraction and I have had the pleasure of speaking to The Queen and to Princess Anne - just because I was in the crowd there to see them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: