Royal Gossip
August 16, 2017, 06:29:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mette-Marit gets her master’s  (Read 3027 times)
Nighthawk
Princess

« on: August 04, 2012, 01:54:19 pm »

Mette-Marit gets her master’s
http://www.newsinenglish.no/2012/08/02/mette-marit-gets-her-masters/
“She was relieved and happy” that her work towards an “Executive Master of Management” degree from Norwegian Business School BI was approved, palace spokeswoman Marianne Hagen told newspaper Dagbladet this week.

benign
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »

The crown princess has earlier completed coursework at the University of Agder, the University of Oslo and at the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University of London, but the latter didn’t result in any degree.
- finally MM finished something...didnt know someone could get a Masters w/o having a bachelors degree first...perhaps all those out of town trips were part of her "Masters" program...Valentino here i come ...
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:40:59 pm »

Well done. Mette Marit.  flower

[/URL]
HC
Countess

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:56:04 pm »

My impression is that it is one of those masters one can achieve without a bachelor degree and with only 2 years of studying.

Well. This is better than no master but not as good as a real univercity degree with bachelor and masterdegree.
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:43:05 am »

I didn't know there was a University anywhere in the world that would award a Masters without having a Bachelors first.

And it's also unheard of for a Masters thesis to be secret.  The whole point of doing "research" is for it to be available to others. 

She doesn't have the academic ability to earn a Masters on merit alone, IMO.

laundry

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:31:03 am »

Spice the oldest universities give Masters rather than Bachelors - anyone who has attended Oxord or Cambridge will have a "Masters" degree as a matter of course and so does St Andrews so W&K will both have a Masters degree instead of a Bachelors yet it is just an ordinary degree.

I am not sure about such as Durham or Edinburgh but the "redbricks" all give Bachelor degrees and they are just as good (depending on subject and classification) as a Masters.

I am also not sure what goes on in Europe but am guessing that the oldest established (like back to the Middle Ages) will do the same as Oxbridge.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:58:01 am »

my question is what is she going to use it for?  She planning on going to work outside the royal family lmao
HC
Countess

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:24:37 pm »

I suppose Matte-Marit wants to prove something to herself but also to the norwegians. In Norway it is the one thing that has always been the critisizm about Mette-Marit. That she don't even have a university degree.

But I don't think Mette-Marit convinced herself or the norwegian public.

A master education is not a master degree. At least not in Denmark. One would typically take a 2 year mastereducation to improve ones cv. And these master educations can be accessed without a bachelor or master degree. Just pay 100.000 kr.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:38:21 pm »

@ TB in Belgium a bachelor is a 3 year course  
A master is an extra 2y on top of the bachelor so that takes 5 years to complete
Add another 2 years at least for a doctorate so that's 7 years
Although they don't have doctorate in all courses most college classes have bachelor and masters potential.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:25:46 pm by akasha2411 » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:20:33 pm »

Spice the oldest universities give Masters rather than Bachelors - anyone who has attended Oxord or Cambridge will have a "Masters" degree as a matter of course and so does St Andrews so W&K will both have a Masters degree instead of a Bachelors yet it is just an ordinary degree.

I am not sure about such as Durham or Edinburgh but the "redbricks" all give Bachelor degrees and they are just as good (depending on subject and classification) as a Masters.

I am also not sure what goes on in Europe but am guessing that the oldest established (like back to the Middle Ages) will do the same as Oxbridge.

Thanks for that info, True Brit.  In NZ a Bachelor's degree is 3 or 4 years, and a Master's is 1-2 years, and a Doctorate is usually 3 years on top of that.

I just don't think she's completed the equivalent of even 3 years of university study... but I guess in Norway you can buy a degree, or get given one if you're married to the heir to the throne.  It cheapens the value of the degree that others have to earn through hard work.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 10:29:46 pm »

Daniel also didn't get into medicine, he got a very low grade in the admission exam but after he got married he was allowed to have some courses.

He had a business I don't think he needed extra courses and much less in medicine! After all MM may be wasting time but at least are things that can help her in the future.

Mostly I think it's pr and using her position. After she got married she stayed time in London doing another course no?

Studying is not something I can criticise her although it seems she has priveleges like not saying what her thesis is about, also the first thesis she proposed really?  tehe It gives me a lot of curiosity to know what she's been researching.

Another thing is that Young leaders forum that some royals are in, first are they still young? Second I don't know whats the use. Mathilde and Mette were last year in a course in Harvard because of this. Mette even did video of her stay.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 10:32:38 pm »

You might find this interesting - a Cambridge Don has criticised the process of awarding Masters for what is an ordinary bachelor's degree. It's an anomaly which dates back to the 17th century and out of step with modern awards where a student has to undertake postgraduate study to gain a Master's degree.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7771288/Oxbridge-masters-degrees-offensive-says-Cambridge-don.html

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:41:10 pm »

It's strange that they cannot give the reason why it changed I'm sure they recorded everything.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 12:56:56 am »

If she had spent a little less time at fashion shows I am sure that she could have gotten this a lot sooner rather than ten years after her marriage. I mean, ten years?

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: