Royal Gossip
May 27, 2017, 09:05:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes!  (Read 15908 times)
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2013, 12:52:47 am »

Good idea on the yeast.

I start back in my Norwegian language classes after the New Year, I can't wait.

Shopping is fun, I do a lot of translations before I go, then try to pronounce the words which always gives the clerk at the store a good giggle.  tehe

[/URL]
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2013, 12:16:45 am »

I bought tofu but I don't really know what to do with it. Any simple ideas?

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2013, 12:45:00 am »

Euhm just eat it? easter-lol
I think you can use it in a wok like chicken.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/vegetarian-protein/tofu/

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
KGap
courtier

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2014, 04:43:04 pm »

A quick, easy, and delicious pumpkin dip!
http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/pumpkin-dip/
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2014, 05:04:20 pm »

My grandmother's Pumpkin Praline Pie (a winner every year):

Fresh mashed or one large can of pumpkin
2 eggs
1 regular sized can sweetened condensed milk
pumpkin spices to preference (1/4 tsp each) - I use allspice and cinnamon with a dash of clove
2 T butter room temp

Deep dish pie shell
I small back of pecans, crush or crush 'em yourself with wax paper and rolling pin
1/4 - 1/2 C of brown suger

Line deep dish pie with crust (homemade or store bought Pillsbury if you're in a hurry)

Mix pumpkin ingredients and set aside to blend a bit (15 minutes), while you:

Using two forks, your hands or a cutter, blend butter, brown sugar and crushed pecans

Put the butter/sugar/pecans in the bottom of the pie shell

Pour pumpkin pie mixture over

Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour with either a crust protector or foil for the first half hour or until a pierced knife in the center comes out clean.  Serve warm or cold.

Use real whipped cream for this one if you can.

Enjoy!

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
KGap
courtier

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2014, 05:27:52 pm »

That sounds really good!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2014, 06:41:41 pm »

^It really is and it's super easy.  A nice twist on a standard fave.

KGap
courtier

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2014, 07:57:41 pm »

I made a plain old pumpkin, a regular Apple, and a caramel apple pie for Thursday.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2014, 10:33:51 pm »

Maids of Honour are among my favourite little cakes and they are great for the Christmas Season to hand around.

http://www.food.com/recipe/maids-of-honour-old-english-tudor-cheesecakes-216860
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2014, 12:27:41 am »

Rosella - I have looked all over for that other Christmas fav - those little mince pies - do you know of a recipe?
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2014, 12:41:55 am »

^I haven't had a mince pie in forever.  That sounds delicious.  I hope somebody (Rosella?) has one that isn't too complicated.  It's been a long time since I made one and my grandmother was supervising.

cate1949
Princess

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2014, 01:08:17 am »

the problem is all the recipes I find require suet - huh - suet is what I give the birds - do not know where one would even find suet for human consumption plus it sounds messy high in fats.  So I need a suet free mince pie recipe for those tiny mince pies.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2014, 02:54:26 am »

the problem is all the recipes I find require suet - huh - suet is what I give the birds - do not know where one would even find suet for human consumption plus it sounds messy high in fats.  So I need a suet free mince pie recipe for those tiny mince pies.

Do you want to do it all, cate, as in making the pastry, doing the mincemeat yourself (kept in preserving jars. I used to do a lot, and I've got an old family recipe for that?) If you are in a hurry.-- 8 ounces shortcrust pastry (sheets from supermarket) 8 to 12 ounces of mincemeat from a jar, beaten egg, icing sugar or castor sugar. Beaten egg.

Roll out the pastry thinly and divide in half. Cut out 2 and a half inch rounds to fit patty tins and fill with about 1 dessert spoon of mincemeat. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut out 2 inch lids for the pies. Moisten the edges of the pies with water and cover with the lids, pressing the edges together to seal. Brush with egg, make a slit in the top of each and bake in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes. Dredge with sugar.

Shortcrust pastry.
8 ounces plain flour (non self raising, in other words)
Quarter teaspoon salt
4 ounces butter
2-3 tablespoons cold water

Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl. Cut the butter into the flour with a knife then rub it in until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Sprinkle the water over and mix in first of all with a knife then with fingertips. (Nice cool hands throughout!) Knead quickly until smooth. Roll out lightly on a floured surface using floured rolling pin.

I have an old family recipe for mincemeat which we have used in all our mince pies but it uses masses of ingredients. Tell me if you want it.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2014, 03:01:06 am »

Just realised-stupid me- my family recipe has suet,
but
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6334/homemade-mincemeat.aspx
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2014, 03:57:40 am »

thanks Rosella - what do you use for suet?  where do you get it ?

I am determined to make the mince meat from scratch -  the recipe you linked to looks very good
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2014, 04:21:04 am »

Suet's mainly used in the rather heavy pastries that are common to steak and kidney pies and also in some puddings like jam roly-poly and spotted Dick.
I go to butchers here and get it, though sometimes they have to get it in for you. I hope you have a few independent butchers' shops near you or there might be a problem. Although, who knows, some supermarkets might stock it.
KGap
courtier

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2014, 03:01:47 am »

Maids of Honour are among my favourite little cakes and they are great for the Christmas Season to hand around.

http://www.food.com/recipe/maids-of-honour-old-english-tudor-cheesecakes-216860

This sounds so good!
This thread is quickly becoming my favorite! Bookmarked!
FutureDuchessofSussex2015
gossip insider

« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2014, 03:01:37 pm »

What about this cake? laugh laugh Tongue tehe flirt flower Kate-Horror-Queen

http://baking.food.com/recipe/better-than-sex-cake-278873?ic1=obnetwork laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Tongue Lips Sealed

I hope my dreams come true and I marry Prince Harry for real Tongue wed easter-akasha TCP painting easter egg
Akasha 85
courtier

Aren't we a cuty queen.

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2015, 10:02:31 pm »

Yum yum looks delish

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

“To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.”
― William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

“Four things you can't recover:
The stone after the throw, The word after it's said, The occasion after it's missed, The time after it's gone.”
― Deanna Wadsworth
Rebecca
Baroness

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2015, 06:54:26 pm »

In my part of the world the weather has turned quite warm already and strawberries are becoming more affordable. I made a favorite of my family's today, Strawberry Pie, and thought I would share the recipe ( although all measures are US ).

Needed Ingredients:
Approx 2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
few drops red food coloring
Cooked and cooled pie shell ( bottom crust only)

Directions
Measure and slice 1 1/2 cups strawberries and place in bottom of pie shell. Set aside. Slice remaining strawberries and place in sauce pan. Add 1 cup of water and cook berries for 3-5 minutes. Drain the strawberries, reserving the berry juice. Discard strained berries. Add juice back to sauce pan, along with 3/4 cup sugar. Dissolve 3 Tbsp cornstarch in a small amount of water and add to berry juice/ sugar mixture. Heat for a few minutes, while stirring, until mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat, add a few drops of red food coloring and stir. Pour mixture atop the reserved strawberry filled pie shell. Refrigerate for a couple hours until set. Serve with whipped cream.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:56:19 pm by Rebecca » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: