Royal Gossip
August 21, 2018, 08:15:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes!  (Read 21094 times)
Contessa
courtier

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 08:25:11 am »

Who likes Anzac Biscuits?
Well, no matter 'cause here's the recipe anyway which my neighbour kindly made and gave to me last night. None left now.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup coconut
125g butter
2 tblsps golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
2 tblsps boiling water
Mix altogether, spoon teaspoons into hand and flatten bwith a fork and bake 160 for 20 mins.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 12:43:43 am »

Recipe for Italian wedding soup.
someone mentioned it in an other threat and I googled it because I was curious easter-James, it sounds and looks delicious!
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/mamas-italian-wedding-soup/Detail.aspx

(just in case the link crashes)
Original Recipe Yield 10 servings

Ingredients

* 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
    * 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    * 1 teaspoon dried basil
    * 3 tablespoons minced onion
    * 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
    * 2 cups spinach - packed, rinsed and thinly sliced
    * 1 cup seashell pasta
    * 3/4 cup diced carrots

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion. Shape mixture into 3/4-inch balls and set aside.
   2. In a large stockpot heat chicken broth to boiling; stir in the spinach, pasta, carrot and meatballs. Return to boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente, and meatballs are no longer pink inside. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 12:52:57 am »

Beer butt chicken (it looks hilarious and tastes delicious laugh)
http://www.ibabuzz.com/bottomsup/2008/05/25/the-great-beer-can-chicken-saga-and-how-to-do-it/

(in case the link crashes)
OK. I’m not a morning person. My wife should have known better than to ask me to go to the store at 9 a.m. on a Sunday morning. But she was anxious to try a new recipe: “Beer Can Chicken.”

So to the store I went. Trouble is, I was a bit unclear on the concept. We discovered the recipe in a cookbook and it sounded, well, interesting. The idea is to cook a chicken over an opened can of beer on a barbecue.

First I looked at the chickens in the meat section, then I wandered along the shelves of canned beer, not a section I often visit. But after looking at the chickens, then at the cans of beer, I was puzzled.

How in the world, I wondered, does one insert a chicken in a can of beer?

So, trying to be practical in my fuzzy, early-morning state, I bought the largest can of beer I could find—Foster’s Bitter—and I bought the smallest chicken I could find, the next step up from a Cornish game hen.

When I brought my purchases home, my wife almost fell to the floor, she laughed so hard. Finally, she recovered and told me the awful truth: One does not insert the chicken into the can of beer. No. You insert the half-full can of beer up the rear ofthe chicken! It turns out that this is a very popular Southern recipe, and down there the good ol’ boys call it “Beer Butt Chicken.”

Well, anyway you, er, stuff it, this is a delicious recipe. Once properly inserted, the beer vaporizes and infuses the chicken with a delicious liquid as the bird cooks. It was difficult to insert the Foster’s Bitter can into the chicken, so the next time we made it I chose an 11.2-ounce can of Bavik, a sweetish, undistinguished Belgian lager I found at Trader Joe’s.

But we ran into trouble. Unlike the Foster’s can, which stood up like a rock, the smaller can was hard to balance beneath the chicken. It was a disaster. The can kept tipping over. Since then we’ve always used Foster’s Bitter—and a big chicken.
BEER-CAN CHICKEN

* 2 tablespoons chili powder
    * 2 tablespoons sugar
    * 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    * 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    * 1 tablespoon oregano
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * One 31/2- to 4-pound whole chicken
    * 1 can of beer—make it a large can

Blend or grind the spices, sugar, salt and chili together.
Discard neck and giblets of the chicken. Rub the chicken inside and out with the spice rub.
Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least four hours.

Prepare a medium hot grill.
Using a can opener, remove the top lid of the beer can. Drink half the beer, then slide the chicken over the beer can. Carefully place beer can with chicken on it in the middle of grill.
Grill about 1 1/2 hours until the juices run clear. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes, then gently lift chicken off of the can. Discard the remaining beer. Serves 6.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Earth Angel
Countess

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free ...

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 01:51:17 am »

Recipe for Italian wedding soup.
someone mentioned it in an other threat and I googled it because I was curious easter-James, it sounds and looks delicious!
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/mamas-italian-wedding-soup/Detail.aspx

(just in case the link crashes)
Original Recipe Yield 10 servings

Ingredients

* 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
    * 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    * 1 teaspoon dried basil
    * 3 tablespoons minced onion
    * 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
    * 2 cups spinach - packed, rinsed and thinly sliced
    * 1 cup seashell pasta
    * 3/4 cup diced carrots

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion. Shape mixture into 3/4-inch balls and set aside.
   2. In a large stockpot heat chicken broth to boiling; stir in the spinach, pasta, carrot and meatballs. Return to boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente, and meatballs are no longer pink inside. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

thankyou This recipe is very similar to my family recipe except escarole instead of spinach, acini de pepe pasta instead of shells, and there's celery & onions in the broth, along with chunks of cooked chicken, so it's got both the little meatballs and the chunks of chicken. Very yummy on a cold winter's day, like today!

And beer butt chicken is delicious, imo!  thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:54:48 am by Earth Angel » Logged

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 11:29:10 am »

The carrot and coriander soup EA asked for it serves 4

1 tbsp of oil
1 onion chopped
1tbsp of coriander
1 large potato chopped
450g of carrot chopped
2 pints of vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and soften the onion for 5 mins then add the coriander
Add the potato and carrot and soften for a few minutes.
Add the stock and bring to the boil then simmer for 20 mins
Then blitz in a food processor ( may have to do it in batches I do )
Put back in the pan and warm through
Serve with some crusty bread

Earth Angel
Countess

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 05:41:47 pm »

thankyou MK~ I will try this after I buy the coriander. Kiss

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 06:31:21 pm »

Embarrassed I mean ground coriander not normal coriander  TCP baking cookies

Earth Angel
Countess

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 02:31:34 am »

^^^ okay!     BFF2

Here's the link to the original Bananas Foster recipe I referred to in a thread:

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/r_bananasfoster.html

Absolutely Delicious!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:34:40 am by Earth Angel » Logged

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 03:46:37 pm »

flirt oh it seem like you were faster then me, I was just about to post it, great minds think alike hey!?  easter-James

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 04:39:02 pm »

A shout out to my fellow Americans who will be watching the Super Bowl this weekend or anyone else!!!!!!

What're you going to cook for football snacks?  We usually have the usual, wings, spinach-dip bowl, etc, but our all-time favorite is the dried veggie soup with cheese hot dip.  For the record, I'm a Packer fan.   Weather doesn't look too good in Dallas, so far! 

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2011, 09:12:23 pm »

I bought ink pasta yesterday for the very first time but I'm not sure what to do with it. Any recommendations?

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »

The most common recipe I see for Ink Pasta is to serve the pasta with squid.

Do you like squid?

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2011, 11:31:53 pm »

Squid with ink rice is my favourite recipe!  tehe I thought about doing the pasta with squid and shrimp but I wanted to know if anyone had more ideas.  flower

I usually use this site http://foodgawker.com/ to find new recipes but there was nothing good for ink pasta.  :(

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 12:04:36 am »

Done some digging for you.

Ink pasta with courgettes and crab Serves 4

50-200g ink pasta
1 or 2 crabs weighing about a kilo, cooked, white meat removed
Greek basil, to garnish
The juice of half a lemon
1tsp Dijon mustard
2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
2tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium courgette

For the crab stock

2tbsp vegetable oil
The shells from the crab, broken into piece
1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 small fennel bulb, roughly chopped
6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
10 black peppercorns
A few sprigs of thyme
A good pinch of saffron
2tbsp tomato purée
2 litres fish stock

First make the stock: heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the crab shells, onion and fennel on a low heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring every so often. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for an hour, skimming every so often. Strain the stock through a fine-meshed sieve, then transfer half of the stock to a saucepan and simmer until it has reduced down to about a tablespoon or so, then transfer to a bowl. You can freeze the rest for another time or make it into a soup.

Whisk the reduced stock with the lemon juice, mustard and oils and season to taste. Cut the courgette into 4cm lengths then cut into ¼cm slices and shred them into matchstick-like pieces.

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the manufacturer's cooking instructions, and then drain and leave to cool.

To serve, toss the pasta with the courgettes and dressing and arrange in serving bowls or one large bowl. Scatter with the white crab meat and Greek basil.

Black Pasta in a Pink Gorgonzola Sauce serves 6

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package black squid ink pasta
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 shallots, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
8 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
5 (1/2 ounce) slices prosciutto, diced
1/4 cup half-and-half cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
6 leaves fresh basil, cut into thin strips
Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute shallots and garlic until lightly golden. Pour in wine and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and stir in gorgonzola. Add tomato paste and prosciutto; bring to a boil. Stir in half-and-half, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add pasta, and toss to coat evenly. Cook until pasta is heated through. Transfer to serving dish, and garnish with parmesan and basil.

Black Ink Pasta In Vongole Sauce

Ingredients Black Ink Pasta In Vongole Sauce :

1500 ml mineral water
225 grams of black pasta
10 grams garlic, minced
30 grams onion, chopped
150 grams of green mussel meat
150 grams of tomato slices
0.3 grams of tarragon leaves
150 grams of parmesan cheese
0.3 grams of fresh basil leaves
100 grams olive oil
How to make Black Ink Pasta In Vongole Sauce :
1. Cook water until boiling, add a little olive oil, put the black pasta and cook until cooked for about 7 minutes.
2. Lift, move into the cold water, then drain.
3. Heat the olive oil. Saute garlic and onion until fragrant, then add the green mussel, tarragon leaves, and tomato slices.
4. Add pasta that has been boiled, and season with salt and pepper.

Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 02:51:33 pm »

aww thankyou

Those two look good

mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2011, 03:41:16 pm »

I hope you like one of the three I posted.

I haven't tried any of them  legs

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 04:04:18 pm »

They gave me great ideas but I will experiment with them.  thumbsup When I finally cook the past I will tell you what I did with it.  tehe

Mia
Baroness

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »

Now I'm hungry sauer

Take a bow Waitie Katie

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »

Yep, I know mia  hiss
It happens to me each time I read this topic.  sigh
The idea's in here sound yummy

pyrenees
courtier

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2011, 12:01:32 am »

mooseballs (alternative to meat balls)

Ingredients:

* 1 small onion, finely chopped
    * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    * 2/3 lb lean ground moose (boiled in H2O with a bit of backing soda to remove the wild smell)
    * 1/3 lb ground lean pork
    * 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    * 1 cup milk
    * 1 egg, lightly beaten
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for frying)
    * 1 (10 ounce) can beef gravy
    * 1/2 cup 10% cream

Change Measurements: US | Metric

Directions:

Prep Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 45 mins

1. 1 Saute onions in first tablespoon of oil until translucent. Set aside and let cool.
   2. 2 Combine breadcrumbs and milk, let soak for 10 minutes.
   3. 3 In a large bowl, combine onions, breadcrumbs, milk egg, meat and seasonings. Mix thoroughly. Form tablespoon of the meat mixture into balls.
   4. 4 Over medium heat, fry meatballs in second tablespoon of oil until brown on all sides.
   5. 5 In a small saucepan, combine gravy and cream; heat through but do not boil.
   6. 6 Serve meatballs with gravy, boiled potatoes and lingonberry preserves.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: