Royal Gossip
May 30, 2017, 06:33:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes!  (Read 15926 times)
Princess Alucard
Countess

« on: December 20, 2010, 04:47:59 pm »

I dunno if there is a topic already on this but thought it would be nice to swap recipes since it's the holiday season. I'll start off with a simple cranberry sauce recipe I learned from Chef John on Foodwishes Blog .  eating cookies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uvErudqk4E

Nov. 16, 2010.... Hell froze over *plays in the snow*

Earth Angel
Countess

Can you imagine a time when the truth ran free ...

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »

My contribution to the family's Christmas Eve Buffet:

Hot Chicken Salad

4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
3/4 c. mayonnaise
1c. chopped celery
2tbs. lemon juice
2tbs. chopped pimentos
1tbs. salt
1tbs. minced onion
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 can of cream of chicken soup

Combine and put in 2 quart dish.

Top with:
1 c. grated sharp cheese
1 and 1/2 c. crushed potato chips
1c. slivered almonds

Refrigerate overnight and then bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees

It's a family favorite that I make every year. ...

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:43:57 pm »

YUM!  And thank you for having this thread to take my 'mind' off of other topics here.

My kid's favorite mashed taters.

A bunch of yukon gold potatoes, peeled and boiled in water with 2 cups milk.
Drain or don't.
Mash to smithereeens.
Add one container each of cottage cheese and sour cream
Fresh garlic squeezed
1/2 cup green onions

Use mixer to blend well.

Place in oven - 350 or so for about 45 minutes

Before serving, dot with butter and slivered almonds and brown under the broiler.

To Die For.

So...when are we having a pot luck???

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Earth Angel
Countess

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:32:49 am »

^^^ sounds good too! I've never had mashed potatoes with cottage cheese, but the ones I've had with sour cream, cheddar, & garlic were delicious!

For our traditional Thanksgiving & Christmas Day dinners:

Waldorf Salad

4c. diced, unpeeled, crisp apples (4-5 lg. apples)
3c. red seedless grapes
2c. diced celery
1c. mayonnaise
2/3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

salt & pepper to taste

Combine ingredients and toss. If you'd like to serve individual portions, mound salad in lettuce cups and garnish with maraschino cherries.

Serves 8

~compliments of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NYC

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:37:44 am by Earth Angel » Logged

"The searching-out and thorough investigation of truth ought to be the primary study of man." ~ Cicero
"The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates
"During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act". ~ George Orwell
"On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity". ~ Adam Smith

*All posts are my opinion, based on what I know to be true at the time of the post, unless otherwise specified. All intents and purposes are free; no ill will or maliciousness involved*
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:14:36 am »

Waldorf Salad!  My favorite!!!!  Ever!!!!

All we need now is my infamous stuffed turkey breast, a standing rib and my black cherry pie.

And grog.  What's grog anyway?  Rum?

Oh, we stilll need veggies, no?

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Earth Angel
Countess

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:39:53 am »

Bleu Green Beans

16oz. fresh green beans, blanched
8 oz. crumbly bleu cheese, room temperature
oil & vinegar to taste

toss string beans with the oil & vinegar
place in 8x12 baking dish
sprinkle with bleu cheese
blace in oven warmer for 5 minutes to further soften the cheese

salt & pepper to taste

Squash

3 medium size squash, peeled & cubed
approx. 8 oz. maples syrup
1/2 stick of butter

Bring 3 quart sauce pan to boil, with squash already in the water. Cook until soft, then mash. add butter and maple syrup to taste.

I'll leave the bird & dressing to you. I just do side dishes! And I've no idea what grog is, but I could raid my papa's homemade wine cellar!  BFF2

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 01:46:35 am »

Oh, good heavens, I'm gonna die at this dinner menu which I totally intend to steal.  Thank you!  Green beans and bleu cheese?  Earth Angel!!!!  Ambrosia!

What's the deal with you, in the UK, and your plum pudding? I watched A Christmas Carol last night and got kinda excited to make it.  Easy/not easy?

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 01:47:39 am »

One last little thing.  May I have the honor of making the gravy?  My grandmother taught me over a wood stove and I have it DOWN.  It's legendary.

Earth Angel
Countess

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 02:00:20 am »

The Gravy's all yours! And the bleu green beans are my daughter's favorite. I think they're wonderful too, but I only usually make them for Easter, my grandmother does them for Christmas dinner. And she makes ambrosia salad too! One of my favorites also. We use olive oil & red vinegar (forgot to specify) for the green beans.

I've never had plum pudding, but I'm interested in a recipe for it. Any of our British forum members have some good pudding recipes? black pudding? bread pudding? Any pudding except tapioca!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:02:28 am by Earth Angel » Logged

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 02:04:23 am »

Oh, what a lovely party we'd have, huh?  Too bad I didn't win the lottery and we could rent a chalet and cook away for a weekend.  It would be fabulous.  Especially with the snow we have been 'gifted' with in California.  In the mountains, of course (47" at Mammoth Mtn!  In one and a half days!).  All I have is beautiful, glorious, rain.  No one appreciates rain more than a San Diegan, or an Arab.  J/K.

Keeping on topic, any of the Brit pudding recipes would be greatly appreciated.  In the Christmas Carol, the pudding was on fire.  huh

Earth Angel
Countess

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 02:11:08 am »

Yikes! Skip the black pudding recipe! It's meat cooked in blood, not really pudding at all!  ick

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 02:15:37 am »

YIKES is right.  Thanks anyway, Mr. Dickens.  I'll stick with rum pudding or black cherry pie with pecans.  Very American, but for whatever reason, Christmas has a Brit-touch to it.  Anything local would be appreciated and I'll do my best to try and make an authentic UK dish.

caribbean_lady
gossip insider

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:19:54 am »

Here's a Butterfinger delight recipe for the holidays!

1 baked 10-inch angel food cake
6 (2.1-ounce) Butterfinger candy bars
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 (16-ounce) container frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed

1) Tear angel food cake into bite size pieces and place in large mixing bowl.
 2) Crumble the butterfinger candy bars and add to the cake pieces
 3) Then cream the powdered sugar and butter together well. Fold in the whipped topping until just blended.
 4) Fold creamed mixture into cake/butterfinger candy bar mixture, blend well
 5) Pour mixture into lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish; cover with plastic wrap and then refrigerate for 4 hours before serving

Makes 12 servings! 

Earth Angel
Countess

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 05:27:31 am »

^^^ooh, I love butterfingers and will most definitely try this making this eventually. Right now I've got far too many Christmas cookies, but this recipe sounds delightful! I'll let you know what I think in a few months (seriously, I'm involved in a massive cookie exchange and even though I give away gift packages, between my mother & I, we freeze some & all of our family will be eating them for the next 2-3 months!)

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 05:32:10 am »

Oh my goodness, I will definitely try the butterfinger recipe.  Evil that it is!!!!  YUMMMMMEEEEE. 

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 05:43:29 pm »

Ladies these recipes sound yummy, keep them coming! sigh
We usually don't cook great meals on Christmas eve because we still have go to the midnight mass after dinner, in our family the highlight is Christmas day!
For Christmas eve it's usually potato salad with Frankfurter kochwurst (the type sausages Americans use for their hot dogs)
On Christmas day we usually make stuffed goose, or at least we used to when my dad and grandma were still alive and my brother still lived here, now that it's just me and my mum we don't have a great feast any more also because I have to work at the airport until 10 in the evening so.... :(
I'm not sure what she's gonna do this year... dontknow easter-think I'll see when I get home  easter-wink

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Earth Angel
Countess

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 06:03:48 pm »

^^^ I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your mum! I've got a big family and Christmas Eve is only a buffet with mostly hor d'ouvres, as some of my family goes to midnight mass also. Oyster Stew is the mainstay on Christmas Eve. I'm sorry you have to work.  :(  I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have time with my family during the holidays! Happy Holidays to you & yours Akasha!  :reindeerdance:

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 11:19:26 pm »

Thanks my dear!  BFF2 Kiss
yep unfortunatly the airport doesn't close during the holidays  :( so i gotta work, but i'm home with new years eve so that balances out

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Contessa
courtier

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 10:35:16 pm »

Ok ladies, go for it!
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:07 pm »

I want the recipe of this:

Apple strudel cookies eating cookies

Please

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: