Royal Gossip
November 21, 2017, 06:12:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wills & Kate to visit South East Asia  (Read 81199 times)
observation
courtier

« Reply #560 on: September 26, 2012, 07:29:30 am »

By the way, The Solomon Star says Kethie said, "The Royal security officer, who was tasked to put them [PW's tailored shirts] in the room, told her, in front of officials from Clarence House, that luggage was put on top of the official shirts."

So basically it was some ineptitude on the part of KM & PW's staff that they didn't find PW's tailored shirts because supposedly their luggage was on top of it.  

However, KM knew she was supposed to wear the dress she had brought. One would guess they would have moved their luggage so KM could open her suitcase & get the dress she'd agreed with Solomon Islands' Prime Minister's secretary to wear & then they would have seen PW's official shirts.

It's sad because they are calling Kethie "deceitful" & saying she "smuggled" when the quote suggests they knew she was bringing the flowers, etc. just not the gift from the Cook Islands designer because it was last-minute.

@sassafras, who would have removed the pinned note? KM said she was confused so if her staff removed a pinned note, they should have showed it to her during the confusion.

I think the article says Kethie laid out the dress.

By the way, regardless, KM negotiated & agreed she would wear the dress she brought.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #561 on: September 26, 2012, 07:31:59 am »

KM needs to start taking responsibility for her own actions, and stop blaming the people who work for her. They work much harder than she does, she could at least show a little courtesy.
sassafras
Countess

« Reply #562 on: September 26, 2012, 07:34:05 am »

By the way, regardless, KM negotiated & agreed she would wear the dress she brought.

exactly - no matter what happened with the note, who left the new dress, what kate did/didn't know about the new dress -- there were negotiations with the host as to attire & kate reneged at the last minute. that's the crux of the problem, she reneged & it caused controversy. what was the point of negotiating if she doesn't adhere to the script?

@leogirl - preach it, sistah!
observation
courtier

« Reply #563 on: September 26, 2012, 07:38:27 am »

By the way, this is simply a comment on her performance as a public official & international role model.

This is the only work she does 50 days a year. This was one of the few events on the tour requiring local dress. So I'm not sure why, given how important it was to the Solomon Islands, it was blundered. There was no reason for KM not to wear the dress she agreed on.

If she saw some dress she wasn't expecting, there was no reason for her not to check if it was okay to make a last-minute switch after all that preparation & given how important it was to the hosts.

If there was a note pinned to the dress, then it is up to KM & her staff to find (Not hard when it's pinned) & read the note & not for her to simply switch from the negotiation & agreement & wear it given the note pinned to it, or if her staff removed it & showed it to her or if she simply didn't read it & had no idea since she gets gifts all the time.

And the fact that after all those negotiations & tailoring & agreement on the color & the materials being sent for PW's shirts that he didn't wear it because his luggage was on top of it, with all his staff, etc. & since this is the only time they work 50 days a year & 1 of about 5-10 times they are supposed to wear local clothes & it's important to their hosts, it's sad that they didn't manage to see their shirts. What with the staff & the bell boys, etc.

It's sadder that they are blaming this on someone. This really is their responsibility. It is all they do 50 days in a year.

By the way, the fabric was sent weeks ahead & PW specified he was going to wear the green fabric. PW KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THE 2 TAILORED, OFFICIAL SOLOMON ISLANDS SHIRTS LOOKED LIKE. They had a map on them for goodness sake. easter-egg-basket

So all they had to do was lift their suitcase & PW would have seen the official shirts that had been negotiated over since July, ie 2 months. He would have seen there was no dress with the official shirts. He & KM should have seen that other dress had a note pinned to it, or their staff should have.
observation
courtier

« Reply #564 on: September 26, 2012, 07:43:08 am »

By the way, supposedly KM would have had things she needed in her luggage, like her make-up & shoes. So I'm not sure why when they were getting things out of their luggage they couldn't find PW's official shirts.

At any rate, blaming this all on Kethie & very harshly sounds strange to me.

The entire responsibility for wearing the dress she is supposed to per the agreement was on KM. She should have just opened her luggage & gotten her dress out.
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #565 on: September 26, 2012, 03:51:30 pm »

I don't get that the suitcases were put on top of their clothes. It's not rocket science to get the clothes and makeup sorted out each day so this kind of thing dosn't appen. Isn't this part of the secretary's job to either do it themselves or make sure that it's done? I put the blame on Waity and Wills actually because they shuld know what they're going to be doing and wearing each day. It's not like they had anything earth shattering to do like deal with a diplomatic treaty as KF would say.

Keep Calm and Carry On
giamodel60
Countess

« Reply #566 on: September 26, 2012, 04:59:27 pm »

CH Clarence House

the whole place is INEPT

If you don't Beleive what I write don't read it. . Please ignore and move on , I'd rather not explain myself to you 100 times !
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #567 on: September 26, 2012, 05:34:30 pm »

^^ RF staff makes lot of big mistakes, no one remembers that they employed a journo without really investigating his references?

---

I've sent all the discussion about the Cook/Solomon clothes to the royal tour thread.  flower

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
berlin
Countess

« Reply #568 on: September 26, 2012, 06:37:22 pm »

Well according to this article someone posted, only William was supposed to wear an island outfit, while Kate chose her own summery dress.  So if Kate refused to wear a Solomon Island dress, why wear something that she thought was suddenly gifted to her?  Why did William change his top?

The Government House said the Governor General would be wearing a Solomon Island shirt with the map of Solomon Islands to reflect the country and its identity.

This island design was also suggested for the Royal couple.

When the suggestion was conveyed back to Clarence House, London, it was agreed that only the Duke of Cambridge would wear the island shirt.

“However, the Duchess of Cambridge was to wear a summer dress and not an island dress as we had suggested.   So, no island dress for the Duchess of Cambridge,” the statement said.
http://www.solomonstarnews.com/news/national/16044-dressing-blunder
Anne-Elliot
Countess

Lady Mary Crawley

« Reply #569 on: September 26, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »

A right royal wardrobe gaffe! Kate's Solomon Islands error as she wears Cook Islands dress to cultural celebration (but the nations are 3,000 miles apart)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2208813/Kate-Middletons-Solomon-Islands-error-wears-Cook-Islands-dress.html#ixzz27bEQGgIB

giamodel60
Countess

« Reply #570 on: September 26, 2012, 07:32:21 pm »

Daily mail working on an article , let's hope it shows how dumb they all are

If you don't Beleive what I write don't read it. . Please ignore and move on , I'd rather not explain myself to you 100 times !
sassafras
Countess

« Reply #571 on: September 26, 2012, 07:57:40 pm »

nice - the DM is twisting things to make kate look innocent.

i have a nagging feeling that the DM is building their defense for the divorce.
Anne-Elliot
Countess

Lady Mary Crawley

« Reply #572 on: September 26, 2012, 09:48:22 pm »

I like these comments:

She is no silk purse and it is always easiest to blame someone else. It's not like she has a full time job and is running in at the last minute rushing. She insists on having no stylist/personal dresser...she clearly needs one as she can't do the job properly without blaming it on someone else.
- ireneg1961 , Annan, United Kingdom, 26/9/2012 20:54

Of course you are going to insult the natives of an island if the guest of honor wears " native " clothing that is NOT Native to the island you are visiting . It so happens that when the President 's wife wears an outfit to a state dinner here that is not made by an American designer everyone gets their feathers ruffled. Just goes to show Kate has a lot to learn. In the photos you published comparing Kate to the Queen's same trip the Queen remained properly dressed in her native clothes. The Queen does not have to impress. She is impressive in word and deed.
- Auntie Em, USA, 26/9/2012 19:56

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2208813/Kate-Middletons-Solomon-Islands-error-wears-Cook-Islands-dress.html#ixzz27bwH4dH9

observation
courtier

« Reply #573 on: September 26, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »

I think the Solomon Islands sent fabrics & KM perhaps didn't like them or think they would be flattering on her because, for example, the ones sent to PW had a map of the Solomon Islands. She probably wanted something that flattered her instead of highlighted the Solomon Islands. So she refused.

So they agreed she would wear, not an island dress, but a summer dress, which she would bring.

That whitewashing, inaccurate reporting & omission of facts is hysterical yet unsettling.

They left out the part that
1) KM REFUSED TO WEAR A SOLOMON ISLANDS DRESS SO SHE KNEW & AGREED TO BRING HER OWN SUMMER DRESS, WHICH SHE WOULD WEAR
2) THEY HAD SEEN & CHOSEN THE FABRIC OF THE 2 SHIRTS TO BE MADE FOR PW & AGREED HE WOULD WEAR THE GREEN ONE WITH A MAP TO HIGHLIGHT THE COUNTRY HOSTING THEM
3) THE GREEN SHIRT WITH THE MAP THEY KNEW PW AGREED TO WEAR WAS IN THE ROOM TOO SO IT WAS VERY CLEAR HE WAS TO WEAR IT & SHE WAS TO WEAR THE SUMMER DRESS IN HER SUITCASE (SUPPOSEDLY IT WAS "UNDER THEIR SUITCASE," which sounds odd since it would be wrinkled; also one would think her dress would have been taken outof her suitcase & ironed or at least hung up so that sounds strange)
4) THE GIFT DRESS HAD A NOTE PINNED TO IT THAT IT WAS FROM THE COOK ISLANDS
5) THE GIFT DRESS WAS MISREPORTED AS BEING FROM SOLOMON ISLANDS
6) SALES OF THE COOK ISLANDS GIFT DRESS ROCKETED so basically COOK ISLANDS was INTERNATIONALLY HIGHLIGHTED & had their BUSINESS BOOSTED & the Solomon Islands locale, which would have been highlighted on the map on the shirts, was not
7) 2 MONTHS OF PLANNING & NEGOTIATION WENT INTO THIS INCLUDING BY THE SOLOMON ISLANDS PRIME MINISTER'S SECRETARY

So basically Kethie Saunders' reputation & career will be ruined since she has been called a 'deceitful' 'smuggler.'

The host country's locale wasn't highlighted. Business of another country & it's designer were boosted. Solomon Islands' cultural dress was misreported. Solomon Islands' people were offended. The people in the Solomon Islands' government who worked on this had to deal with the fallout.

All because
1) KM refused in then negotiation to wear a Solomon Islands dress like every adult at the dinner, including her husband, was going to
2) KM then refused to wear the summer dress agreed upon at the last minute so she could wear a gift dress from the Cook Islands she tried on a couple hours before the dinner & liked
3) KM had time to tell her royal aides to tell the press the afternoon of the dinner that she was not going to wear the dress she brought & agreed upon to wear a dress she just tried on instead, though she knew it was from another country from the note pinned to it when it was laid out before she tried it on, but she didn't have time to lift her suitcase to get her shoes & makeup to see that the green Solomon Islands shirt with a map was under it & there was no official Solomon Islands dress since Sol. Islands was sticking to their agreement. Neither did she have time to check with the Solomon Islands liaison if it would be okay to wear a dress, she could easily describe over the telephone as bright pink, from the Cook Islands for them to tell her, "No, KM, Solomon Islands did not leave a Solomon Islands dress in your hotel room & it's not okay to wear a dress from another country 3000 miles away called the Cook Islands."

How interesting to see how the press did not write the truth about KM's refusal & agreement to wear her summer dress.
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #574 on: September 26, 2012, 10:37:02 pm »

For me, the bottom line is simply: the only dresses you wear to a state dinner are made by either a designer from your own country, or from the one you are visiting.  If WK knew the dress was from the Cook Islands, she should not have worn it.  She is stupid, and she doesn't ask for help from those around her.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
rollinginthesouth
Countess

« Reply #575 on: September 26, 2012, 10:42:43 pm »

Now a spokesperson for the couple is coming to their aid!
"We saw they weren't the same design of the traditional clothes we were told would be gifted. So we checked with the Solomon Islands government to ensure the right ones were worn." But the Solomon Islands' government "reassured the clothes were correct, and so the Duke and Duchess wore them to the event."

So according to them it was all the fault of the the Solomon Islands' government. Give me a break!

Oops! Kate Middleton, Prince William Wore Wrong Traditional Outfits to Solomon Islands
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/oops-kate-middleton-prince-william-wore-wrong-traditional-213000070.html;_ylt=Avk6BMopCrNAUxrkCDu_P3APpxx.;_ylu=X3oDMTQ4aGtjMGM5BG1pdANNb2QgTGF0ZXN0IE5ld3MEcGtnAzcxNjI1ZWYzLTNlNjEtMzZjZC05NzEyLWVjZTU3NGJjMjEzMwRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFQcm92aWRlck91dGxpbmtUZW1wBHZlcgM3MzBjYWUxMS0wODIxLTExZTItYjdiMy01ZWZiYWVjMDc1NmE-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

"Something as curious as the monarchy won't survive unless you take account of people's attitudes. After all, if people don't want it, they won't have it." - Prince Charles
Spice
Countess

« Reply #576 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10:18 pm »

Kethie Saunders is the US Honorary Consul to the Solomon Islands.  The US only has a consulate there, the embassy is in Papua New Guinea.  She's Mrs Saunders, not Lady Kethie.  Here's a photo of her:
http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1104/topstories/story20e.htm

It does look like there was a breakdown of communication between the SJP staff on tour, the Solomons Govt and committee member Saunders.

Hopefully the royals will in future get their own staff to double check these things before they leave their rooms to go to events.

And I hope they and their staff have learnt a bit about cross-cultural awareness, ie stop and think about which country you are visiting.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Spice
Countess

« Reply #577 on: September 26, 2012, 11:21:56 pm »

Oops, I was wrong, she is a Lady, her husband was Knighted:

http://www.bahai.org.au/NewsMedia/NewsStories/ArticleView/tabid/72/ArticleId/190/Knighthood-recognises-extensive-service-to-adopted-country.aspx

And her name is spelt Keithie not Kethie.

Going by the articles I've read after googling her name, she is a highly respected pillar of the community in the Solomons.  Which makes it all the more bizarre and disrespectful of the government to throw her under the bus.  I wonder what the "back story" is.

observation
courtier

« Reply #578 on: September 27, 2012, 03:06:38 am »

Probably quite simply KM & PW were caught in a blunder & needed a scapegoat & they threw their weight around so she was it. Does she seem like someone with a motive for "smuggling"? A U.S. consular agent with a knighted husband? A little doubtful.
observation
courtier

« Reply #579 on: September 27, 2012, 03:36:26 am »

The story is now hitting & proliferating in the MSM. Interesting to see the spin. Each article leaves out one of the salient facts to make KM look like she still hasn't 'put a foot wrong.' They leave out that it had been negotiated & agreed upon for 2 months KM would wear a summer dress because she initially refused to wear a Solomon Islands dress so there was no mistaking what her hosts expected her to wear, ie she didn't supposedly think she was 'supposed' to wear the gift dress. They also leave out that the same MSM reported the afternoon of the event that KM knew she was ditching the dress she was supposed to wear because she had just tried on a dress a couple hours before the dinner that she loved & was therefore going to wear it instead.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fash-track/kate-middleton-solomon-fashion-solomon-islands-gala-374357

http://celebs.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=28147498166261

It's interesting since the local Solomon Islands paper reported it before without the slant the RF would like on it so maybe PW & KM realized it didn't make them look too good.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: