Royal Gossip
August 23, 2017, 02:41:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ministry of Defence's £878,000 Diamond Jubilee bill  (Read 2493 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: June 22, 2012, 03:08:56 pm »

A copy of a Freedom of Information request to the Ministry of Defence asking how much it spent on the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Short answer is £878,183 but the breakdown is interesting.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/117052/response/290264/attach/3/20120620%20FOI%20PF%2021%2005%202012%20095115%20003%20Response%20Final.pdf

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:13:14 pm »

^This confuses me slightly.  Other than the fuel required for the jets, aren't these people already on salary? 

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:18:06 pm »

Yes Yooper it says in the breakdown that the MoD is absorbing the costs but it's a case of having to budget the cost of providing the personnel. However the biggest bill was for the events staging although I am not sure what bit of the events staging they are referring to.

Which brings me on to another bill this time for £3.5 million for provision of big screens and stewarding and, again some of those costs are absorbed into the budget of the Dept for Culture and the Home Office.

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2012/06/35-million-bill-for-diamond-jubilee-big-screens-and-stewarding.html

HM has also received an extra £1million in the Civil List for Jubilee costs.

It's not clear where they all fit in.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:26:04 pm »

Yes Yooper it says in the breakdown that the MoD is absorbing the costs but it's a case of having to budget the cost of providing the personnel. However the biggest bill was for the events staging although I am not sure what bit of the events staging they are referring to.

Which brings me on to another bill this time for £3.5 million for provision of big screens and stewarding and, again some of those costs are absorbed into the budget of the Dept for Culture and the Home Office.

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2012/06/35-million-bill-for-diamond-jubilee-big-screens-and-stewarding.html

HM has also received an extra £1million in the Civil List for Jubilee costs.

It's not clear where they all fit in.

Amazing, the ministry that is supposed to defend the country is billed for that four day joke of a Jubilee; all the while they are already struggling with a budget.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »

Well they can alway's stop going to war that might save 'em a penny or two!

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 03:43:48 am »

No chance; there is no chance that the MOD can afford not to pay for upkeep since it looks like the whole planet is going to go nuclear and it's the job of the government to maintain a proper standing army, not pay for the glorification of the Windsors.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:32:26 am »

Thank you for the added info.  It's impossible to speculate without seeing an entire planning budget and then actual expenses, apparently.  In addition, there should be some revenue generated, i.e., ticket costs for events (?) and anything that is gov't related that would be direct pay to vendors/suppliers. 

This is a hard thing for me to wrap my head around.  If we have a political event in the US, all staff are already on salary and do not get extra, especially military.  Security is already budgeted, so that's not an issue.  And any vendors are privately owned.  So, I'm struggling a bit to see why monies should be given to HM. What for??

Staging events are sponsor-driven, so that is usually either a break-even cost or padded by donations, such as the Boston Pops on the 4th of July.  The fireworks are always sponsor-driven and it's an all-out fight to get that contract.  These events are a fundraiser's dream.

Do sponsors provide any financial input for the Jubilee?

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:34 pm »

Apparently businesses didn't foot any of the bills since the RF really isn't that 'in bed' with companies and the UK business community in general.

True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 01:39:39 pm »

Then we have to add on the Jubilee tour and we have no costs for any of these unless we can get them from the various councils. However Manchester's cost £40k which is described as "modest" for such a visit. So if we times this by 52 (there being 52 places visited) we're looking at approx £2.08 million.

Of course some may cost more, some less - for instance Salford is literally next door to Manchester so there may be a reduction there only may be - but there will be a cost for each council area. HM's personal detectives are already budgeted for but there will be extra security/policing costs which are extra to the above but the police costs are likely to be in the tens of thousands per visit. At a guesstimate we could be looking at doubling the above figure of £2.08 million.

There must be hidden, knock on costs for these such as loss of trade in town centre shops etc but it's difficult to gauge any of these.

Manchester City Council defends costs of royal visit.
http://news.uk.msn.com/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=161361171

True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 01:53:28 pm »

Meant to add the security bill for next week's Northern Ireland trip will be something else.

Just found an estimated annual cost for policing for royal visits on Republic web site. They claim £26 million which is an extra cost to local councils.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:57:57 pm by True Brit » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: