Royal Gossip
August 24, 2017, 06:04:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navy's been told to keep quiet over lack of traditional naval review  (Read 1218 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: June 02, 2012, 11:11:07 pm »

This is a very good piece from the DT and graphically illustrates how badly depleted our naval resources have become in the UK which, for an island nation, is worrying. Further, Navy cheifs have been instructed not to comment on this.

When HM was crowned in 1953 she then undertook the "Spithead Review" of the navy which gathered at Spithead off Portsmouth. She repeated this in 1977 but now there are so few ships it is impossible to hold such an event as it will only tell the world that the Britannia which ruled the waves is now holed beneath the waterline.

It's somewhat tragic that she is now reduced to shuffling up and down the Thames in a decorated pleasure boat. I am sure a flotilla of 1,000 craft will be a stirring sight but it's hardly a Spithead Review.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9305678/Diamond-Jubilee-The-Queen-no-longer-rules-the-waves.html#disqus_thread

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:24:53 pm »

Would someone please explain to me WHY the Navy is being told to shut up? This is what it is and I am sure that this will not encourage goodwill. Millions for the RF Jubilee and nothing for the Navy? AND they are being told to keep quiet about it?

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:05:33 am »

Because it's a national embarrassment thanks to various Govts but Cameron has to take his share of the blame too. This part sums it up.

A serving commander in the Royal Navy, recently returned from operations, says the MoD has made it clear that no comment is to be made in public on the subject. “It would have been just too embarrassing,” he says. “There aren’t many ships and those we do have are a long way away. It was just too difficult to mount a spectacle worth having.” Lord West, a former First Sea Lord, the professional head of the Navy, says an attempt to stage a review would result only in national humiliation. “I suppose now we could get a couple of submarines out and five or six frigates and destroyers, but it would be very small and not very splendid,” he says. “That gives one a feel for how things have changed. Because the number of ships has reduced so dramatically the event would be too small to make a meaningful and sensible fleet review.” 

IMO the river pageant is just an attempt to deflect attention from this embarrassing situation.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Magnolia
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:15:48 am »

Thnxs to TB for bringing up articles of what's really going on instead of the glowing pieces about the RF.XXX
How many billions was spent on that "celebration" because from the looks of it was nothing especial.

THIS IS YOU:NET- FXCKER A PERSON WHO SPENDS DAYS ON THE INTERNET AT A TIME USUALLY LATE AT NIGHT OR VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING HE OR SHE IS A RECLUSE AND A NET-FXCKER! THIS IS YOU:NET-JUNKIES TEND TO NOT HAVE LIVES ALTHOUGH ON RARE OCCASIONS ONE OF THEM UNWITTINGLY DOWNLOADS IT FROM THE INTERNET
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: