Royal Gossip
September 22, 2017, 11:34:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Republicans issue writ against BBC for biased Jubilee coverage  (Read 8340 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: May 28, 2012, 10:53:47 pm »

I've always thought the Republicans have an uphill struggle but they are really starting to up the stakes by suing the BBC for bias and breach of its charter. There'll be quite a lot of non republicans who will agree with them.

http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?p=482

Blimey! Read the solicitor's letter sent by Republic to the BBC. Blimey!

http://www.republic.org.uk/bbclegalletter.pdf
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:00:04 pm by True Brit » Logged

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:10:38 pm »

Timed out and more in the same vein but from the schools point of view.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6241702

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6172453

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:20:25 pm »

Quick question before I jump all over this.  Is the BBC in any way, shape or form supported by public funding, or private donations such as PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) is in the US?

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:24:02 pm »

It is funded completely by the TV license a tax that everyone has to pay. If you refuse to pay they haul you through the courts and you end up with a criminal record. It is public service broadcasting defined by an Act of Parliament.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »

^What!?  The?!  F?!

Y'know I remember hearing about this before and I'm sure I got myself all worked up about it then but something told me that this was all ok with everybody or that it had worked out or that I'm living in frickin' TVLand.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »

You always get so confused with the BBC topic Yooper  tehe

It's normal in Europe and imo totally unnecessary.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:55:25 pm »

^Um...that's a nice way of saying that I'm not getting it, right?

No.  I don't understand the BBC.  And I don't think I ever will.  It's coming back now.  And that's ok.  But, Alex is right, the concept of it is SO unavailable to my brain that I can't figure it out so the best thing for me to do is just shut the heck up about this because I could get pretty nasty about freedom of speech issues and such.

May I kindly say this, though?  Let's get crazy and I'll speak to just the Americans here.  Imagine, if you can, that your tax dollars are going to a television station, US-wide, and you don't like what they're saying but you are allowed zero input or control.  How's that feelin'?  Pretty strange, right?  WHY?  Because we have no tax-driven forms of television programming or news in our country.  We will never, ever, understand it.  So, we should maybe just listen and be quiet until asked for help?  Thoughts?  Input from Americans?  But I encourage any American to understand the difference.  This is not our fight, but it is our concern.

I can hear the Democrats in our Senate lining up against me already.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 01:00:08 am »

yeah but on the other hand all of your mayor tv-channels are politically influenced in one way or an other
I think you got a dozens of republican and democrat supportive tv channels right?
But the thing is most of these tax channels in Europe are doing a decent job in staying neutral when it comes to politics.
They show opinions from all parties and leave it up to the viewer to make up his mind (at least in Germany and Belgium that's the case)
And they show local made stuff (not just the big American series or show like X-factor and co) and some of them local krimi's are really good! thumbsup
Another thing they don't have is ad's every ten minutes: maybe ten spot's before and ten after a program is done but they don't ever break-up a program for advertisings. (unles it's a really big and long movie like lord of the ring's or something)
Which is a huge plus in my eyes because some of the comercial tv stations drive me cuckoo during primetime with there break's every freaking 10 minutes! smashed
But in Belgium we don't have to pay taxes for it any more since they get enough money out of those limited advertisement deals (not that there's a big public in my country anyway only about 5m possible viewers per station (just like with everything we have French and Flemish state TV and a good dozen commercial stations in both languages as well so the viewers are spread out, 7oclock news on state tv is the biggest hitter in Flanders with about 3.5m viewers daily)

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:45 am »

I have no clue on how HM must be handling the fact that the Republicans are currently going after her now; usually even Republicans are respectful, but now it's thiem this time around going for the jugular.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:03:22 pm »

Yooper I mean no offence  sorry Just that it's such an alien concept for you that it's as if you have to always ask the same because you cannot believe such a thing can exist in a democratic country  tehe

Are tax channels neutral? My opinion is probably not.

In Spain it is a disaster, it's a black hole of spending. And you can imagine who are employed each time the gov changes  eating cookies *here Yooper will have a crisis* There is no only one channel, now way, we have a state channel plus one seventeen more. Plus each channel has subchannels. Everything being paid by the tax payer  sauer  Angry

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 07:31:49 pm »

I have no clue on how HM must be handling the fact that the Republicans are currently going after her now; usually even Republicans are respectful, but now it's thiem this time around going for the jugular.

If they plan on moving their agenda forward now is the perfect time. I don't view it as disrespectful when you consider their ultimate goal is to rid the country of the Monarchy.
HC
Countess

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:39:32 pm »

I don't think it as a problem to pay for a national tv channel.

The cost is very low. I think 2.000 kr. a year.

The advantage is that we get programs that are not decided by advertisers. Programs to deaf people, programs about consumers having trouble with this or that company, debate from parliament, The Daily Show  tehe, classical music programs, art movies (read french movies  that are really arty), tv for children that are not cartoons etc.

And most important neutral news that no big advertisers can critisize the content of.

Tv-channels that are private and dependant on advertisers will - all things being even - be more right wing than a neutral channel.

Unfortunately the national channel has had a news coverage with a director that appeared - at her shift to another big job - to be right wing. And some journalist has also gotten "out of the closet" - when they made career change to par example a political career in right wing parties.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 05:18:55 am »

If they plan on moving their agenda forward now is the perfect time. I don't view it as disrespectful when you consider their ultimate goal is to rid the country of the Monarchy.

I think that they are laying the groundwork for it now and will go out full force when the Olympics are over along with the Jubilee; go figure, once the Republicans start stressing the price/costs and point out that problems are still here and aren't just going to go away.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Bella
Baroness

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:46:52 am »

Check out Common Purpose, it explains their agenda & what's going on in Britain quickly & the US

http://www.stopcp.com/cpmindmap.php

http://www.stopcp.com/index.php
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:40 am »

Yooper I mean no offence  sorry Just that it's such an alien concept for you that it's as if you have to always ask the same because you cannot believe such a thing can exist in a democratic country  tehe

Are tax channels neutral? My opinion is probably not.

In Spain it is a disaster, it's a black hole of spending. And you can imagine who are employed each time the gov changes  eating cookies *here Yooper will have a crisis* There is no only one channel, now way, we have a state channel plus one seventeen more. Plus each channel has subchannels. Everything being paid by the tax payer  sauer  Angry

Then, if my input is going to be perceived as insulting or repetitive, Alexandrine, I will say nothing on the matter.  In all my time here I respected others' opinions and don't recall belittling them in the process, tho.  The last thing I want to do is to confuse the situation any more and appreciate your straightforwardness.  You are the Moderator, not I, and democracy or no, I am a firm believer in knowing my place in any organization but I'm not in the best place right now to handle ridicule.  Sorry.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 07:53:33 am »

I don't know lost in translation? I mean no disrespect. I was agreeing with you  dontknow maybe I don't know how to joke  dontknow

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 08:02:37 am »

My misunderstanding entirely, Alexandrine, but I do stand by the fact that I get too eager to learn, don't think it through and perhaps said the wrong thing and for that, I apologize.  I understand now. 

So many countries here is fascinating to me and I adore the BBC but I still want to learn and obviously need to!

If I said anything out of turn, please accept this.   flower

June
Duchess

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 10:32:06 am »

Well, in Oz, we have the Australian Broadcasting Commission, which is also Gvt funded. So, it's paid for by tax revenue; it's just a different guise.  shifty

It's also baised toward the Gvt of the day, which chooses who runs it (not sure if it has a board, or what). Really, it has the best shows on TV and NO ADS!  easter-bunny
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:29 am »

My misunderstanding entirely, Alexandrine, but I do stand by the fact that I get too eager to learn, don't think it through and perhaps said the wrong thing and for that, I apologize.  I understand now. 

So many countries here is fascinating to me and I adore the BBC but I still want to learn and obviously need to!

If I said anything out of turn, please accept this.   flower

The BBC is a strange beast Yooper and I adore it too. They produce wonderfuil programmes and IMOH BBC4 is the best channel on TV these days with a wide variety of music, historic and documentary programmes. I *despise* stuff like Eastenders anyway and BBC is deifinitely dumbed down these days whereas there used to be a remit to educate and inform but I guess it's the way of the world now if they tried to push a more serious diet ateveryone they'd just defect to commercial TV.

However, where they really annoy is when they push various agendas in their news programmes such as climate change which is highly contentious yet they presented it as unchllengable fact and then there are our own dear Royals where the fawning and sycophancy actually makes me angry. I have noproblem hearing about them all but it's so unbalanced it could turn you into a raging Marxist. This needs to change but then Parliament isn't allowed to criticise the Royals so that needs to change.

June
Duchess

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 11:07:46 am »

It seems the ABC in Oz has some licensing deal with the BBC. We get lots of BBC produced shows here.

It's interesting, but a scandal just occurred here: the ABC was going to skip the Queen's Jubilee to broadcast an old Warren Beatty movie!  Shocked But our current Gvt is republican by policy, so ...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: