Royal Gossip
November 25, 2017, 01:52:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The American Royal Family: The Kennedys  (Read 8909 times)
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 04:54:49 pm »

I can't think of a worse actress to portray Jackie.   No one can, but Portman is not one of my favorites.     bored3
HRH Tiana of NOLA
Duchess

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 01:51:06 am »

This is just all kinds of no.

I actually liked Katie Holmes' portrayal of her.

"You just keep your eyes at one of of the biggest gaudiest floats with a Mardi Gras princess about to kissed herself a... a frog." - Princess Tiana
D.I.R.
Baroness

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 06:00:43 am »

The Kennedy's are an interesting bunch and had their fare share of scandals and what not...
My mom use to say that she wanted me to marry one of them.  tehe
But anyways, they couldn't handle that one of their own boys is a trans now...
HRH Tiana of NOLA
Duchess

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 10:42:09 pm »

^Wait, what?! Who's trans now?

"You just keep your eyes at one of of the biggest gaudiest floats with a Mardi Gras princess about to kissed herself a... a frog." - Princess Tiana
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 09:42:16 pm »

The Complicated Sisterhood of Jackie Kennedy and Lee Radziwill

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/04/jackie-kennedy-lee-radziwill-sisterhood#10

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HRH Tiana of NOLA
Duchess

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2016, 10:37:54 pm »

^Wow, Jackie was mean!

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:07 pm »

Yep, it was an interesting article at least for me who only knew the basic about Lee. Though I don't think Jackie was so mean and Lee was so nice.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2016, 11:47:44 pm »

This HBO special is finally released on YouTube.  It is "I Am JFK, Jr."  It's really well done, I think.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIQzhLvWJFo

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2016, 06:58:35 pm »

Jacqueline Kennedy said in a September 1, 1961 interview with Hugh Sidey of Life magazine: "Everything in the White House must have a reason for being there."   
Within a month of becoming First Lady, Jacqueline established a White House Arts Committee made up of experts in historic preservation and decorative arts. They persuaded many owners of historic furnishings to donate them to the White House.

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2017, 12:13:48 am »

It is sad that Kathleen Kennedy had her brother Joseph P. Kennedy as her only relative when she married William, Marquess of Hartington.

Really A Baron
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2017, 12:42:25 am »

Well, it was wartime. Travel wasn't easy and Joseph WAS stationed in England. The main reason though was that her devout mother Rose thought that marriage to a Protestant was the equivalent of the fiery pits of Hell swallowing 'Kick' up, and wouldn't countenance the Union under any circumstances. Her father sent Kick a cheery telegram but he and the rest of the family in the US, consisting of his and Rose's younger children, kept away, otherwise their lives wouldn't have been worth living. I think Jack was still in recovery mode then after his endeavours in the Pacific had left him in bad physical shape.
deGuernsey
Baroness

Veux-tu m"epouser - oui!!!

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2017, 01:11:53 am »

I used to work at the Sixth Floor Museum and so saw many pics and texts of JFK and his family. I remember reading about many members of the Kennedy family. I do not remember coming across even one mention of this young lady. Maybe I missed it but I still feel she should have a small place in JFKs museum. It was such a sad thing to have happened. Thanks for posting this info.

Barnabe et Kitty...
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2017, 01:32:43 am »

Kathleen, 'Kick', became the Marchioness of Huntingdon on marriage. Her husband Billy was heir to the Duke of Devonshire. However he was killed on active service during the D day landings in France. Kathleen had many friends in England by then and she stayed on after the war. She became involved with another aristo type who was separated from his wife and they decided to go to the Continent by light plane one day. It crashed in France and everybody on board was killed. Kick's father went over and actually found her body lying there. She was the second of Joe and Rose Kennedy's children to die and the second to be killed due to a plane.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2017, 01:48:03 am »

Sorry, it's Marchioness of Hartington not Huntingdon.  sorry
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »

Kathleen, 'Kick', became the Marchioness of Huntingdon on marriage. Her husband Billy was heir to the Duke of Devonshire. However he was killed on active service during the D day landings in France. Kathleen had many friends in England by then and she stayed on after the war. She became involved with another aristo type who was separated from his wife and they decided to go to the Continent by light plane one day. It crashed in France and everybody on board was killed. Kick's father went over and actually found her body lying there. She was the second of Joe and Rose Kennedy's children to die and the second to be killed due to a plane.
Thanks for the info. I only know bits and pieces of the story but it seems she died much too young.  Wasn't she in the middle of a divorce when shee died which devestated her husband?  I don't remember where I read that... dontknow

Barnabe et Kitty...
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »

After the war Kathleen became involved with a member of the British aristocracy, Earl Fitzwilliam. He was getting a divorce from his wife at the time he died in 1948. He had a reputation as a ladies man and Rose didn't approve. Kick, having lived away from her family and her mother's influence for several years, still wanted to remain part of the family circle.

She contacted her father asking for a meeting with him in Paris in which she hoped to explain how much she loved Fitzwilliam as she had never loved anyone before, and how she wanted to marry him after his divorce, in spite of everything. Joe Kennedy agreed to meet her in Paris, though he quite obviously didn't like the idea of his daughter being mixed up in divorce. Her name would be kept out of the papers. Peter Fitzwilliam would be found with an anonymous woman and a divorce would be granted.

However, rumours were flying about London about Kathleen and Fitzwilliam's affair. (Both Fitzwilliam and his wife had been unfaithful to each other.) Of course Rose wouldnt countenance anything about this male but then she had been like iron about Kick marrying Billy who had been a gentle and kind young man with a fine reputation. The Kennedy siblings were very torn. Kick was warned by the same Jesuit priest who had counselled her not to marry Billy that if she went ahead this time she faced excommunication.

When Kathleen had last seen her parents in Virginia shortly before her death she had told them about Fitzwilliam and how she wanted to marry him. Joe had been angry but Rose was just stone cold. She had told her she would disown her and she would be disinherited. She later went to London and raged at her 28 year old daughter in her home for hours, according to the servants. After four days Rose left.

Kick had great faith that her father would see her point of view and make things right. He probably wouldn't have been able to but he never got the chance. Kathleen was still the Marchioness of Hartington when she died and she is buried in England near Chatsworth in a church graveyard where many Cavendishes are buried. There were many mourners. Joe attended her funeral alone. He never spoke to anyone. On her gravestone the Duchess of Devonshire had engraved 'Joy she Gave, Joy she has Found.'
deGuernsey
Baroness

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2017, 01:56:52 pm »

flower

Barnabe et Kitty...
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2017, 12:28:54 am »

Sorry, it's Marchioness of Hartington not Huntingdon.  sorry

Rosella, That is fine. When I previously mentioned Kathleen, I stated Hartington.

Really A Baron
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2017, 03:02:04 pm »

^^^I think old Joe would have come around to supporting Kick.  He didn't give a rat's hiney about Rose's feelings and cheated on her on a daily basis.

But fate stepped in and that was that.

Not that I approve of affairs with married men, but Rose was a cold, hard woman her whole life. It is one thing to not approve of an adult child's course of action.  It is another to treat them as if they had died before they actually died.
HRH Tiana of NOLA
Duchess

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2017, 05:13:14 pm »

^Yet people wonder why the Kennedy kids were closer to their nanny than their parents.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: