Royal Gossip
December 11, 2017, 07:29:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The American Royal Family: The Kennedys  (Read 9037 times)
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 03:39:49 am »

^Gotcha, KF, my misread.

For me, Ethel is a very interesting character in the Kennedy story.  On the one hand, she was uber Catholic and did all the right things of which they approved but no matter how hard she tried, she never was able to match Jackie's breeding and mystique and I think it really got to her.  She kept pumping one baby out after another but never received the praise and gifts from Joe, Sr. as Jackie did.  Remember when Jackie threatened to leave because of many things but mostly because of the constant affairs and media assault and Joe gave her a mass of money of her own?  He also poured jewelry on her almost as often as JFK.  Her cache of jewels is something to behold. 

Jackie was a breed apart from the Kennedys and brought that element of finishing school touch that their rough and ready behavior was missing.  I don't think JFK/Jack would've been elected Prez without her.  Too bad her daughter, Caroline, doesn't seem to carry herself as well although she's been given an ambassadorship, I believe.  Not that I have anything against her, but she never had the 'it' factor and maybe that's for the best.  The media leave her alone at least, I suppose.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:01 am »

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/style-legend-jacqueline-kennedy-onassiss-looks-from-the-white-house-years-and-beyond/#1

Even on the presidential campaign trail, Jacqueline Kennedy’s Francophile elegance—focusing on impeccably made clothes of simple lines—drew all eyes. The era’s obligatory hats, meanwhile, were sublimated to her important hairstyle.

On duty as First Lady, Mrs. Kennedy’s impact was profound—a visual metaphor for the President’s youthful, internationally minded administration, and a symbol of a new era of cultural sophistication at the White House. For her formal daytime ensembles, she took a leaf from Britain’s royal dressmakers and their clients, avoiding prints and instead using brilliant solid colors and bold lines that helped her to be easily distinguished in a crowd. Her majestic, strong-silhouetted evening gowns, meanwhile, showcased her statuesque figure and married French grandeur to a thoroughly American breeziness.

Throughout, her disciplined elegance revealed an equestrian’s fastidious approach to dressing. Off duty, meanwhile, Jacqueline Kennedy was every inch the liberated sixties woman, barefoot in capri pants and sportif tops that were always chosen with an eye to simplicity of line.

Her classics still hold up today in most cases - gloves are BACK.  Love the equestrian jacket.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:38:02 am by Yooper » Logged

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
HRH Tiana of NOLA
Duchess

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 05:44:36 pm »

For those that are interested:

JFK: Dallas - 50 Novembershttp://www.wfaa.com/jfk

On Nov. 22, WFAA will take you back in time, allowing viewers to see what others saw that day. Starting at 1 p.m., live coverage of the Dealey Plaza Observance begins. WFAA and WFAA.com will air two hours of commercial-free coverage from November 22,1963.

WFAA was the first to do what we now know as around-the-clock-coverage on the day of the assassination. They will air the footage from that day for the first time on Friday. If you want to watch, they will be streaming it on their website.

"You just keep your eyes at one of of the biggest gaudiest floats with a Mardi Gras princess about to kissed herself a... a frog." - Princess Tiana
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 05:49:07 pm »

Still hard to grasp that it's been 50 years, for me anyway.  There's lots of very interesting coverage coming out over the next few days.  I'll post links, if interested, when they pop up.

NatGeo has Killing Kennedy, for instance, which has mixed reviews, but those I know who have seen it think it's a good tool for newbies to the story, although I can't imagine anyone who doesn't know the story.

My best advice, again, if interested, is Oliver Stone's 'JFK'. 

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 12:27:16 am »

Norway has had several Kennedy specials each night this week, I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing the historical footage and hearing the history of JFK and Jackie, but I squirm everytime they run the Dallas footage, it's horrifying and so tragic.

I also watched the NatGeo special,  it had it's good and bad points. I prefer seeing the real footage and hearing the actual stories from people who worked in the White House during those years, or people who knew JFK and Jackie. (Also there have been several really good interviews with people who were on the street that day in Dallas and those interviews are really interesting to hear. Those eye witness accounts are amazing.  )

I agree on the movies, Oliver Stone is my favorite of the Kennedy films.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:34:16 am by serene grace » Logged

[/URL]
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 02:40:00 am »

^You would enjoy Clint Hill's book, I'm sure.  I know I did; been out for a few years, I believe, but fascinating.  Anyway there's this from the Henry Ford Museum which houses the car and other links that are interesting:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/11/20/jfk-assassination-clint-hill-limo/3650285/

DEARBORN, Mich. -- To pin-drop silence, former Secret Service agent Clint Hill recalled everything in detail about the morning of Nov. 22, 1963.

At the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, Mich., Hill recounted the pivotal moments from the motorcade's tight turn on Elm Street in Dallas to his leap onto the presidential limousine in a desperate effort to protect first lady Jacqueline Kennedy.

STORY: JFK's limo an enduring symbol of dark day
MORE: Kennedy Assassination

Hill, assigned to her detail for years, said he "heard an explosive noise over my right shoulder, from the rear. ... I realized something was wrong. The president grabbed at his throat and moved to his left. ... I jumped." But it was the third shot, he said, that did the most damage. "I heard it. I felt it ... because it hit the president in the head."

Standing on a stage to the right of that same four-door Lincoln Continental, now on display at the Dearborn historic museum, Hill, 81, described the moment when Jacqueline Kennedy refused to let go of her husband, John F. Kennedy, outside Parkland Hospital.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 05:14:43 am »

^Gotcha, KF, my misread.

For me, Ethel is a very interesting character in the Kennedy story.  On the one hand, she was uber Catholic and did all the right things of which they approved but no matter how hard she tried, she never was able to match Jackie's breeding and mystique and I think it really got to her.  She kept pumping one baby out after another but never received the praise and gifts from Joe, Sr. as Jackie did.  Remember when Jackie threatened to leave because of many things but mostly because of the constant affairs and media assault and Joe gave her a mass of money of her own?  He also poured jewelry on her almost as often as JFK.  Her cache of jewels is something to behold.

The thing with Ethel, is that she was dating the man who was supposed to be the next Kennedy in line and Ethel at so many times never knew when to quit. She wasn't able to speak as many languages as Jackie, wasn't as cultured, and was kind of a jerk to Joan one too many times. There's something about Ethel that is pathological about how she ended life after Bobby died and kind of pressured Joan and Jackie to throw their lives away as well.

Too bad her daughter, Caroline, doesn't seem to carry herself as well although she's been given an ambassadorship, I believe.  Not that I have anything against her, but she never had the 'it' factor and maybe that's for the best.  The media leave her alone at least, I suppose.

Caroline isn't going to make a good ambassador and I rather dislike how she inflates teh status of the Kennedy family today. They're just a tabloid sideshow now and it's only a matter of time until Joan is gone and then Ethel and frankly there's nothing really new about the family, nothing dashing and nothing interesting.

Jackie was a breed apart from the Kennedys and brought that element of finishing school touch that their rough and ready behavior was missing.  I don't think JFK/Jack would've been elected Prez without her.

Jackie is the only reason that JFK got the Presidency. At the time the people wanted flash and elegance and Jackie really made it happen. Her impressive part is how she didn't make a huge mission out of her role. She hosted the right parties, revamped the White House, set up the guidebook, made America something very both contemporary and unique. She was the supreme pragmatist and I admire how she put up with as much as she did without being selfish enough to make the nation her sounding board. As for the kids, she did the best possible job and did the right thing to end up having them grow up outside of hte Kennedy Cult.

I can't judge her like I do Kate; Jackie was brought up to be completely useless and to marry and that alone was the only way for women of her station to survive.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 12:13:21 pm »

^I heartily agree with your pov, KF, especially about Ethel.  In some ways she's been painted with a bad brush, but she was really the accepted Kennedy, at the time, pre-Jackie.  Then, when Jackie found her own place, she just said, to heck with it, I'm being myself and it worked.

The only thing I don't agree with 100% is that Jackie was the 'only' reason JFK got the presidency.  Yes, she was the perfect mate for the campaign and brought a ton of class but at the time there was a little bit of uncertainty about her from the public, too.  That evaporated quickly but it was there nonetheless. Women and men then really admired her style and her diplomacy was a work of art.  But, not until she did the overhaul of the White House did her rocket really go off.

The nation was also looking to forget the war and Eisenhower and Mamie were pretty old fashioned and then along came the men/women wanting to start a booming new life post-war and be the new breed and JFK fit right into the mold of captain of that ship.  He also had a very commanding, promising and positive outlook that I think our nation was ready for at that precise time in history.  Overcoming the Catholic issue was a tough road but he was quite dashing as well which didn't hurt. Never have we had such a glamorous couple as these two in our White House and the added plus were the two adorable children.  It was a magical time of REAL change, social upheaval, the fear of 'the bomb' and a hunger to let go of the past as much as possible.   And JFK epitomized all of that.  Was he perfect?  Name a human being that was/is.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:00 pm »

Yeah Ethel likely didn't like being displaced, but I don't think she (Ethel) was easy to deal with. Joan was an outsider too and I think a lot of problems came from that family. Jackie avoided drowning by leading her own independent life and at the same time, made that work well. JFK was handsome, but Jackie enabled him to mingle with the rest of the world.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:39 pm »

Jackie only avoided the pitfalls of being a typical Kennedy wife, by becoming a Widow.   She may have known that her hubby couldn't keep his pants on, but the public didn't.  Or if the reporters knew, they didn't report it to the papers to be published.

IMO, had JKF lived......they would have been divorced by the late 1960's when the press coverages started to change, and politicians private life was no longer private.

cate1949
Princess

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 02:31:34 am »

Richard Daly - the mayor of Chicago - who raised the dead and got them to vote is why JFK got in.  Joking just a bit.

Jackie was no stay at home do nothing - while First Lady - the White House was falling apart - she not only redecorated it - major repairs were made under her direction.  She won praise for the job she did. She got private collectors all to donate historic fine furniture to the WH.  She campaigned on her own and could give a decent speech - usually in Spanish.  She charmed Kruschev so much he sent her the dog who had been recovered from Sputnik as a pet for her.  She cultivated artists and got classically trained artists to perform at the WH thus elevating the tone there which had declined under the more homespun Eisenhowers.  And later in life she was an editor and edited a number of successful and important books.  She was a lady in every way and a cultivated person.

Ethel started drinking after Bobby died - her poor younger kids - no father and effectively no mother.

Jackie is an icon - it is absurd to even mention Kate in the same sentence.  Diana may have been her equal - although Jackie famously refused to be interviewed and maintained her silence.  JFK and Jackie are an interesting comparison to C and D in that - Charles was jealous of the fame and attention that Di got.  JFK on the other hand, was secure enough that he had no problems with Jackie's fame - he even once started a state speech in France (it might have been the UK) by famously introducing himself as the man who came with Jackie.
terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 03:22:45 am »

Ethel started drinking after Bobby died - her poor younger kids - no father and effectively no mother.

Ethel was pregnant with Rory when Bobby was shot. Rory was born six months later. Drinking? Hope not. Having a brood of eleven kids can be a handful. Kennedys are always plagued with some sort of alchohol, drug or mental illness related issue.

I don't think she (Ethel) was easy to deal with.
Ethel was/ is competitive, sporty, and an A type personality. Which can be seen as brash. She fitted in well with the rambunctious, equally sporty Kennedy clan. It is who she is.  thumbsup

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
HRH Tiana of NOLA
Duchess

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 05:08:36 am »

Norway has had several Kennedy specials each night this week, I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing the historical footage and hearing the history of JFK and Jackie, but I squirm everytime they run the Dallas footage, it's horrifying and so tragic.

I also watched the NatGeo special,  it had it's good and bad points. I prefer seeing the real footage and hearing the actual stories from people who worked in the White House during those years, or people who knew JFK and Jackie. (Also there have been several really good interviews with people who were on the street that day in Dallas and those interviews are really interesting to hear. Those eye witness accounts are amazing.  )

I agree on the movies, Oliver Stone is my favorite of the Kennedy films.

Then you should definitely tune into that link I posted above. WFAA is the main news station in Dallas and they will be showing all of the round the clock footage and interviews from that day. This will be the first time that they've shown in it 50 years.

"You just keep your eyes at one of of the biggest gaudiest floats with a Mardi Gras princess about to kissed herself a... a frog." - Princess Tiana
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 05:11:01 am »

I wonder what is going on with the recent development with the increased coverage of the Kennedy family and their relations.

Jackie only avoided the pitfalls of being a typical Kennedy wife, by becoming a Widow.   She may have known that her hubby couldn't keep his pants on, but the public didn't.  Or if the reporters knew, they didn't report it to the papers to be published.

IMO, had JKF lived......they would have been divorced by the late 1960's when the press coverages started to change, and politicians private life was no longer private.

She was too good for the men she married.

I wonder what it is that prevented Joan from ending the marriage. Yes, survival, but I think she was too decent.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 10:26:43 am »

Today: A Day to Remember

http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Remembering-JFK-50-years-of-loss-332672

DALLAS- Dallas will observe the 50th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's assassination on Friday with its first official ceremony to mark the event seen as the darkest day in the city's history.

Kennedy will be remembered with prayers, a speech by Mayor Mike Rawlings and military jets flying over the city's Dealey Plaza, where Kennedy was shot.

The ceremony, which starts at 11:30 a.m. (1730 GMT), is set to coincide with the time of day Kennedy's motorcade passed through packed downtown streets 50 years ago. Only 5,000 people will be able to view ceremonies in Dealey Plaza but video screens will be set up throughout downtown.

"His death forever changed our city, as well as the world," Rawlings said in a statement ahead of the anniversary. "We want to mark this tragic day by remembering a great president with the sense of dignity and history he deserves."

Dallas was seen as a pariah city for years after the Nov. 22, 1963, assassination and avoided any commemoration. That stigma started to fade decades ago and now, The Sixth Floor Museum in the former Texas School Book Depository is one of the city's largest tourists attractions.

"Dallas came under a great deal of international criticism after the assassination. It was called the 'City of *despise*,'" said Stephen Fagin, associate curator The Sixth Floor Museum.

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:43 pm »

Nation pays tribute to President Kennedy on 50th anniversary of assassination

Few tragedies loom as large in the American psyche as the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, who was gunned down in Dallas a half-century ago today.

Now, we pause to remember that dark day in the country's history — recalling a shared trauma that can feel both political and personal.

Lester Holt reports from Dealey Plaza, where President John F. Kennedy was assassinated 50 years ago.

"I remember it as if it were yesterday," President Bill Clinton told NBC News' Tom Brokaw earlier this year. "He meant something to the country and he symbolized the future. And it was as if he was snuffed out."
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/21/21563959-nation-pays-tribute-to-president-kennedy-on-50th-anniversary-of-assassination?lite

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
ChickP83
royal watcher

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 01:48:35 am »

Hi everyone.

This is a little blurb I wrote, intending to post on my facebook, but i thought I would give it a test run here. I hope that someone more eloquent than me can fix up some o the language, grammar, flow. etc.  thankyou :

Exactly fifty years ago today, President John F Kennedy was assassinated. Kennedy’s assassination is one of the most pivotal moments in American history. Some people say that if Kennedy had lived, American troops would have been withdrawn from Vietnam by 1965, and the Cold War would have ended 25 years earlier than it did. Culturally, the assassination was a watershed moment America. One could say that it ushered in an era of collective disillusionment with American exceptionalism. Kennedy had embodied an era of optimism, patriotism, and innocence.

The following is paraphrased from Fareed Zakaria’s article “Why JFK’s Death Still Fascinates Us”

In November 1963. America strode the world like a colossus, comprising 30 percent of global GDP. All the great global companies were American, all important industries were dominated by American firms. The United States had defeated Fascism in Europe and Asia and then, at staggering cost, rebuilt its enemy nations from the ground up. The Pentagon was seen as the most advanced fighting force in the world, now applying the management techniques of American industry thanks to newly appointed Secretary of Defense Robert MacNamara, previously the president of the Ford Motor Company.
Kennedy’s administration had taken American power and put it to purpose, founding the Peace Corps, expanding American foreign aid programs, helping start what would be known as the Green Revolution. Americans trusted their government and the world trusted America.
Now fast-forward to 5 years later-1968, there are race riots in every major American city. The United States has 500,000 troops in Vietnam and yet is unable to prevail in a military fight against one of the poorest countries in the world. Anti-war protests, the civil rights movement, a new women’s rights struggle, and general youth rebellion combined to attack every one of America’s cherished and established institutions. Americans have lost faith in their government, universities, and leaders

As compelling as the cultural and historical significance of the assassination, are the conspiracy theories that have arisen as a result of the information vacuum regarding exact details of the assassination. As recently as March of 2013, the Obama administration has refused to release 50,000 documents associated with the Kennedy Assassination. Many find the official story of the lone, looney, Communist being killing the president, but then denying it and subsequently shot himself, full of logical fallacies. The video below explores many of those fallacies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJFzhbNd1EI
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2014, 10:10:15 am »

sorry for bumping the thread yet I didn't want to start a new thread either flower

EXCLUSIVE - 'She couldn't wait and allowed him to seduce her in a creaky French elevator': Bombshell book reveals Jackie Kennedy's secret lovers, her revenge on JFK with William Holden, her steamy night with Brando and her forbidden affairs with Bobby AND Teddy
 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2640882/EXCLUSIVE-She-wait-allowed-seduce-creaky-French-elevator-Jackie-Kennedys-secret-lovers-revenge-JFK-William-Holden-steamy-night-Brando-forbidden-affairs-Bobby-AND-Teddy.html#ixzz335t03SsX

New book reveals that Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was a passionate woman who had many men--before, during and after her marriage to JFK
    Authors say she bedded Hollywood actors Warren Beatty, Paul Newman, Gregory Peck and Frank Sinatra, among others
    Confessed Brando, 'She took matters into her own hands and popped the magic question, ‘Would you like to spend the night?'
    Her resentment over her frustrating sex life with JFK led to a nasty fight; he sent her to a clinic in Massachusetts and underwent three barbaric electroshock treatments for depression
    Holden told a friend after his week-long torrid tryst with Jackie, 'If she goes back to Washington and works her magic with Kennedy, he will owe me one'
    Jackie and Ted were in love. Lying together nude on a blanket, they kissed passionately. The guards who were to protected them reported what they had seen back to fiance Aristotle Onassis

What if JFK wasn't assassinated? No all-out Vietnam War, the revelation of a ‘shocking’ affair with Marilyn Monroe and a shorter Cold War, expert claims
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2641876/What-JFK-wasnt-assassinated-No-Vietnam-War-shocking-affair-Marilyn-Monroe-shorter-Cold-War-expert-claims.html#ixzz335tso0om
President John F Kennedy was born 97 years ago today in 1917
He was assassinated on 22 November 1963 - but what if he hadn't been?
US television journalist Jeff Greenfield tackles the implications of this
One suggestion is that the Vietnam War might not have happened as it did
While averting 'nuclear holocaust' with the Soviet Union may have halted the Cold War
And the affair with Monroe could have been a public scandal akin to Clinton's in 1998
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:12:32 am by Nighthawk » Logged
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 10:22:30 am »

Gosh, and how convenient that most of these people are now dead!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 04:40:33 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/politics/natalie-portman-jackie-kennedy/index.html

See Natalie Portman as Jackie Kennedy

Washington (CNN)Former first lady Jackie Kennedy Onassis has long been immortalized in books and museums and as a fashion icon. Her classic elegance served as inspiration for fashion designers, first lady successors and women across the globe.

The late widow of President John F. Kennedy will be portrayed by actress Natalie Portman in the feature film "Jackie." A photo published by Deadline is already turning heads and building up anticipation for the movie.

The film -- directed by Pablo Larrain, Peter Sarsgaard, who will star as Robert Kennedy, and Greta Gerwig -- will follow Jackie's life in the days after her husband assassination in 1963.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: