Royal Gossip
November 16, 2018, 02:31:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idol Bet  (Read 2191 times)
Yooper
Princess

« on: May 24, 2012, 05:03:45 am »

We get AI late here on the West Coast and I'm just as nervous as a cat.  I placed a very large bet when the final 10 were announced weeks ago and my money went on Phillip Phillips as the final winner.  Don't anybody tell me.  I'll either be having a nice little stash of fun money or not....

Yikes.  *biting knuckles* and afraid to peek at the final news which was announced on the east coast already.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:09:00 am »

I WON!  Well, he won, but wow.  A great new artist waiting to find y'all.  Phillip Phillips, I believe will make an impact on the Industry.  Now, he can have his kidney surgery.  When he hasn't been on stage, he's been taking treatment offstage.  Super humble human being.  But, I get to collect tomorrow from somebody who really deserved to lose this bet!!!!   easter-bunny

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
berlin
Countess

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:58:37 am »

The guy can't sing. Hopefully after the kidney surgery he'll improve his range.  Though I found the other singers to be cliche.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:39:02 pm »

^And he agrees with you.  What I really found refreshing was that he writes his own material and is innovative.  And I made a nice pile of money in the process (for investment).  He's an artist, not a singer and more than half of 132M votes agreed.  Bob Dylan's no singer, either, and I look forward to P2 staying the course and not falling into the pop singer trap.  Finger's crossed on that.  It was such a relief not to have the usual easy to produce/studio-only singers out there. 

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality-rocks/humble-idol-winner-phillip-phillips-m-not-great-144137022.html

"Honestly, man, I didn't even think I would make it to see the judges," he confessed. "I have no shame in saying that I'm not a great singer. I just love having fun up onstage jamming with the guys, and playing good music, man. I like getting the crowd into it. Music's fun, dude...I have no idea how stuff like this ['Idol' victory] happens. I just love playing music, and I'm just a lucky guy."

"It's only fun, y'know, and if it doesn't last, at least we all enjoyed ourselves for a while.  In the end, it's just a song." John Lennon, 1964

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:35:07 pm »

The girl Jazmin? is an amazing singer, she'll do great,  but this Phillip PHILLIPS has a special quality I think that is why people voted for him.

[/URL]
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:55:42 pm »

^Collectively, the human being has the capacity to recognize genuine talent or a new/innovative sound when they hear it.  We've been blasted for the last two+ decades with nothing but studio-driven, electrified sounds that aren't really music.  You have to dig to find new stuff, usually indie.  And it's rare.

I agree, I think that's what people saw in P2.  Jessica, the other candidate, will do fine, but she'll end up in the pop music factory.  She'll make a ton of dough, but there's something about music integrity that we've lost somehow with that type of music.  Hopefully, this marks a turn of the tide.  It can't hurt to hope.

serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:42:37 am »

The first time I heard Phillip was last nite and I think he's got a bit of an young Elvis good ole southern boy thing, going on. He can fit into several genre's, Country, Bluegrass, Soft rock, Soft ballads, Pop.

Jessica's fantastic though, she'll be like Jennifer Hudson (who won an Oscar)and go on to have a great career post Idol.

[/URL]
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:55:14 am »

I was leaning towards Jessica and should, because she's from my back yard, but she's got a lot of growing up to do.  It's hard to remember she's only 16.  Jennifer Hudson, unfortunately, didn't really start doing her best work until the enormous tragedy hit her.  Her singing the National Anthem after all of those deaths in her family stands, to me, as one of America's best anthem moments.  I never saw Dream Girls, so can't comment on that.  I should do that, tho.

Jessica's one to keep an eye on, no doubt about it, but I don't see the same level of depth in her...yet.  Who has that amount of depth and life experience at 16?  I don't care what you've been through up to that point and I know her upbringing.  She's had it pretty good.  I just hope her manager is a wise one.  It's easy to get caught up in the wrong place and going down the wrong path.  We've had some Idol casualties, too, because they weren't prepared for the cutthroat world of the Music Industry these days.  Rappers are a beastly force right now.

Oh, enough.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: