Royal Gossip
September 21, 2017, 04:12:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Military Career  (Read 20265 times)
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:59 am »

The simple fact is that the SAR is to be privatised in 2017 - right around the time that, if William was to extend his commission, he would be due to end the next extension.

His schedule is fairly much the same as others - four days on and four days off - when on he is on base and on 24 hour call but when off duty he lives with Kate.

Given the amount of money already spend on his training and the time and cost of training someone else for a unit that will be disbanded in just over 4 years it makes senes for William to remain in the SAR either in Wales or in Scotland until then.

It also means that they can start their family in peace without the constant intrusion of the press and the public.  It also would give him more time to decide on a way to end the marriage before Kate becomes too much a fixture in British life.  While they are only doing 100 or so engagements each a year they are bit players on the royal scene - but once out full-time with 400+ a year she will be much harder to remove as she will be someone people expect to see and sympathise with - don't fool yourselves into thinking if he divorces her he will get off scot free unless he can paint her as the villain in the piece.
June
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 07:05:19 am »

That's a good summary, meememe.

Where did you get the figure of '100 or so engagements each year'?  blink That seems excessive for this pair of loafers ...

Anyway, I disagree that William will be painted a cad should he divorce her. Kate is no Diana and doesn't enjoy the goodwill of the people (aggregately). Kate was a divisive choice. That much is obvious and fact - even if her fans don't want to admit it. Never before has a royal bride been subject to so much scrutiny, suspicion and scorn. Yes, I know they were dating for almost a decade or whatever. But, it doesn't change the fact.

Cracks are starting to appear in the veneer - of both the relationship and her substandard efforts dressed up for show.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 07:15:52 am »

Last year Tim Donovan did his annual count and had William at 90 and Kate at 34.

There is another forum where a poster is doing a week by week count and currently has Kate at 53 and William at 31.  Harry, who has already done his overseas tour for the year is also at 53.

They also have a tour of Asia and the Pacific coming up later this year and given the normal number of engagements done on a single day in those tours an average of 5 per day will see William into the 80s and Kate over 100 with a 10 day tour and they will still do the odd engagement in Britain this year e.g. The Thistle ceremony this week will count as one - although the Wimbledon visit earlier this week wasn't mentioned in the CC so wasn't an official visit.

leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 07:34:44 am »

The fact that they knew each other for nine years (September 2001) and were an official couple for almost seven years (December 2003 was when Kate and Rupert officially broke up) before getting engaged (November 2010) didn't do them much good because it made people wonder why he took so long to propose. She wasn't good enough to marry before but she was in October '10? Was he, like a lot of young men these days who take forever to marry their girlfriends, hoping to get someone better, but since nobody decent showed up he finally decided she was good enough? I think honestly you'd know by about three years if they're right for you or not. The first couple of years are getting to know each other, and any red flags would show themselves. 7+ years is ridiculous and it makes them look bad.  thumbsdown

I don't understand... if PW works 4 days off and then 4 days on like someone said (someone else said 3 days out of the week), why can't he do more appearances on his days off if he's not working 1/2 the time? And Kate isn't working at all, so why can't she (like a lot of wives of rich men) dedicate her time to charity, start her own business, volunteer somewhere, etc.?
June
Duchess

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 07:49:19 am »

^^ Obviously, any frivolous "event" is counted - thanks.

^ Yes, Kate does come with a lot of unpleasant baggage. Some of it is her fault, some of it not. William has a [figurative] case to answer, IMO. He kept her locked away all those years, trotting her out when it suited him. In the meantime, the press, but mostly the royal-watching public, were building a negative, humiliating profile on her. This will not bode well for her in the case of a divorce. IMO, the victim card will not derogate this.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 07:56:31 am »

When he is on call it is 24/7 so he can be called out at any time with a 15 minutes from call to being airborne so obviously after that sort of stressful living - and they mightn't do any actual searching and rescuing in that time but it is tense just waiting - there is a need for a day or so of downtime and the usual weekend.

I have some friends who are in the air ambulance here and they have a similar role and similar type of working schedule, although they don't live on a base so it is slightly different but on their 'off days' they have told me they often sleep for the first 24 hours.

I see no reason why Kate isn't working, even if only locally - surely she could be helping out at the local school or somewhere else like that which would improve her image considerably.

On another issue - how many people here know or have known couple who dated for a long period of time e.g. 5+ years and then move into together and then get married after about 7+ years whose marriage goes sour very quickly?  I can think of three close friends and a number of more distant ones as well as relatives - probably 10 or so that I know and another 10 or more that I know of.
June
Duchess

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:41 am »

I'm not one to call William out on his occupation, I do not know enough about it (thanks for the information), nor do I keep tabs on him in that regard.

But I do think he could be doing more duties and take far less holidays. But I suppose it must be stressful to not have any freedom. I can understand him wanting to move to Oz. He'd have far less attention. I wonder if he'd cope.  shifty

Re marriages breaking down after long courtships: I can't recall any personally. But certainly, in terms of celebrities, yes. I don't think an excessively long courtship is a good idea, but that is just me. It just screams to me that one party is waiting for someone better to come along, or they have aversion to commitment.

Spinning this around: I've known cases where someone won't commit to the other, only to turn around and marry someone else very quickly. In terms of Will and Kate, I think this could have gone that way. Something made him crack, or he made an impulsive decision. But I don't think he is in love with her, nor do I think he cared one way or another whether he married her.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 08:39:18 am »

Statistically speaking, your odds of divorce increase significantly if you live together before marriage. It sounds like a good idea on the surface, but it just makes people used to just being dating partners, not giving each other 100%. For a marriage to work, both parties must give 100%. With all the new information and studies that are out, if people you know are thinking about moving in together to "test the waters", please advise them not to. And for those already living together, they should be encouraged to either marry or breakup. If they're not sure they should live apart for a while. Find a roommate or move back with your parents/relatives. The longer they live together, the worse it gets. This is 2012, we know a bit more than we did a few decades ago when living together before marriage was first encouraged.

Regarding dating period, I think there is somewhat of a bell curve. People who elope to Vegas after they just met will rarely, if ever, have lasting marriages. It probably takes 1-2 years to get to know someone (you can fake sanity for a year, so don't rush things), and then there is an engagement period of 6 months to a year. So 1.5/2-3 years is probably ideal, maybe 4 if you have a longer engagement, and 5+ starts to plummet to high chance of divorce.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:41:46 am by leogirl » Logged
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 10:25:37 am »

Statistically speaking, your odds of divorce increase significantly if you live together before marriage. It sounds like a good idea on the surface, but it just makes people used to just being dating partners, not giving each other 100%.

Another thing I read is how women are usually on their best behavior during the live in courtship phase and this suits Kate to a tee. She was baking cookies, playing wife, making suppers, cleaning up after him, putting on that this was the only life she ever wanted.

Now William is looking at a different Kate and Kate is showing she is more interested in London and the shops rather than ebing a domestic wife. He at one point came home to an empty house and cold dinner one birthday and his wife is the only one who doesn't want to be around the other officer's wives.

This is why he should just give up, move to London, and have the decency to end up making a full time career out of appearances and other duties. It's his job and it's important for him to make himself more connected wiht his people. He owes them everything and they are so ready to love him, so readily.

Realistically, there is nowhere for him to go professionally and I still don't think he has put in the effort that he had a chance to. He should have ordered his wife to live on base with him and socialize with the military wives and he should have jet setted less. If he was off, he should have lived on base.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 11:34:52 am »

On another issue - how many people here know or have known couple who dated for a long period of time e.g. 5+ years and then move into together and then get married after about 7+ years whose marriage goes sour very quickly?  I can think of three close friends and a number of more distant ones as well as relatives - probably 10 or so that I know and another 10 or more that I know of.

MMM - I beleive the statistics on this are quite a high number of people do suddenly split after such long courtships (But I don't have a link to anything at present). With regard to W&K I really do wonder exactly how much time they spent together post St Andrews. Many of us suspect she was hardly at the Anglesey farmhouse for anything other than the odd weekend.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 07:36:04 pm »

Yeah, that's not fair to the guy for the woman to act one way when they're dating and then expect everything to change once they get married.
giamodel60
Countess

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 11:59:18 pm »

not sure kf

i don't understand the mililtary very well

can he just up and move no problem? no idea

but he is still talking front line

I seem to  be agreeing with June alot today .,, i agree the cad thing is easy enough
to get out of. he just needs to paint kate as inappropriate...

If you don't Beleive what I write don't read it. . Please ignore and move on , I'd rather not explain myself to you 100 times !
royalfanPKLS
courtier

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 06:11:16 am »

To be honest, I'm kind of shocked he has stayed in the armed forces so long. I understand it's part of his royal duties but he never very gungho about it like Prince Harry. I mean Harry didn't even go to university and went straight to the armed forces after college (ie: high school in England). I always got a feeling that William wasn't all that interested but got pushed into it because of tradition. I could be wrong, but IDK, I'm just kind of impressed by how much he's done considering.

"Sometimes I think I was born backwards. You know, come out my mum the wrong way. I hear words go past me backwards. The people I should love, I *despise*. And the people I *despise*…”
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 07:34:07 am »

On behalf of the USA armed forces who were in presence at our recent football game in San Diego who had lost arms, legs, and those who lost their fathers, sons and daughters, may I say, "Work as hard as your grandmother already".

He's hiding behind that helicopter and it's shameful.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 11:27:01 pm »

College is high school in UK? I remember having a discussion with one of my english teachers about the difference between college & university and there are none.

Harry went to Eton and when he finished he attended Sandhurst.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 03:49:37 am »

Part of the confusion with the use of the word 'college' is that schools like Eton are actually called Eton College but it is a school.  They you have places like Christ Church College at Oxford University which is more a residential building that is part of the university but they also provide tutors etc.

College in British has a wider meaning than in the US where is is more the first level of post-school education while in Britian it can relate to schools, universities or other training places.
mousiekins
Super Moderator

Harryite #2

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 05:23:00 am »

College is high school in UK? I remember having a discussion with one of my english teachers about the difference between college & university and there are none.

We have no high schools, secondary school is the term in the UK.

We have school, college and University.

royalfanPKLS
courtier

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 08:51:51 am »

Well I meant more age group-wise not so much educational wise. Satistically most mandatory schooling in non-US are better than the US because of the lowering of the standards in the US education over the years. I mean even when improverished African and other third world countries get schools they tend to teach and expect a higher level of performance from the children than in America.

"Sometimes I think I was born backwards. You know, come out my mum the wrong way. I hear words go past me backwards. The people I should love, I *despise*. And the people I *despise*…”
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 03:11:37 am »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/9469393/Airman-Prince-William-could-become-part-time-helicopter-instructor.html
To quote RFM: What a joke!
Him?! become an instructor, already?  blink
He's barely got his full pilot cred's a month ago!
Ye god's send just him and that gal of his of to Lossiemouth already!  bored3
I bet the harsh Scottish highland wind and winter will deflate those ego's PDQ!

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
giamodel60
Countess

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:43 am »

I have NO clue why he is NEVER called out on stuff. Charles has been for years.

It is terrible that he will be allowed to dip his toes in to stuff never fully being there.

If you don't Beleive what I write don't read it. . Please ignore and move on , I'd rather not explain myself to you 100 times !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: