Royal Gossip
November 18, 2017, 04:23:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Military Career  (Read 21144 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« on: May 06, 2012, 07:33:20 pm »

Can someone do a little summary on what he has done? I've seen mentioned in the other thread that William has been in many areas of the military but I have no idea.

Especially I would love if someone explained what was the problem when moved once or something like that  huh

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Princess Alucard
Countess

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:58:51 pm »

This might sound off topic but my boyfriend has to have his hair shaved in military. Did will or harry every have to do that for military training?  Is it different criteria in UK than US?? Just curious   Embarrassed

Nov. 16, 2010.... Hell froze over *plays in the snow*

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:11:05 pm »

Not entirely off topic! And it's a good question! Neither Charles, Andrew or Edward got their hair cut?

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:40:21 pm »

I think the hair should be 'short and clean' but I don't think there's a specific trim. dontknow
On William's military career:
He graduated university of SA in june '05
Enrolled in Sandhurst in january '06 (completed in dec '06)
Then Blues and royals (four months in '07),
Then Royal Airforce to get his wings (completed in '08)
Then a short stint in the Navy, (two months in '08)
Then Search and Rescue to become a rescue pilot (completed in '10)
Falklands (six weeks in '11)
RAF/ SAR contracted until '16 ?

wiki
Having decided to follow a military career, in October 2005 William attended the four day Regular Commissions Board at Westbury in Wiltshire where he underwent selection to judge his suitability to become an Army officer. Having passed selection, William went up to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in January 2006. Successfully completing the course, William graduated from Sandhurst on 15 December 2006, the graduation parade being attended by the Queen and the Prince of Wales, along with other members of the Royal Family, and William officially received his commission as a lieutenant at midnight. With his rank obtained, the Prince, under the name of William Wales, followed his younger brother into the Blues and Royals as a troop commander in an armoured reconnaissance unit, after which he spent four months in training for the post at Bovington Camp, Dorset.

Though Major-General Sebastian Roberts, general officer commanding the Household Division, had said William being deployed was possible, the Prince's position as second in line to the throne, and the convention of ministers advising against the person in that position being put into dangerous situations, cast doubts on William's ability to see combat. These doubts increased after Prince Harry's deployment was cancelled in 2007, due to "specific threats". William, instead, went on to training in the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force, obtaining his commission as a sub-lieutenant in the former and flying officer in the latter (both broadly equivalent to the rank of lieutenant in the Army). With this complete, the Prince undertook an attachment with the Air Force, undergoing an intensive four-month training course at RAF Cranwell, which, upon completing the course on 11 April 2008, he was presented with his RAF wings by his father, who had himself received his wings after training at the same college. It was later revealed that it had been during this secondment that Prince William had helped to man a C-17 Globemaster to Afghanistan, during which he assisted in the repatriation of the body of Trooper Robert Pearson. The Prince had been affectionately known by his fellow airmen, and his callsign was designated, as Billy the Fish, a pun on his title.

William then moved to train with the Navy for two months, from June to August 2008, during which time he spent three weeks at the Britannia Royal Naval College, training on units of the surface fleet, and submarines, as well as with the Fleet Air Arm and Royal Marines, before deploying for a further five weeks on HMS Iron Duke in the Caribbean. It was during this tour that the Prince took part in a secret underwater mission, as well as helping to identify and capture a small vessel that had been transporting an approximate £40 million worth of cocaine, and taking part in other raids.

Owing to William's future role, a long term career in the military was considered out of the question; due to his position, his desire to see active service was always unlikely to be granted. William originally joined the military on a short-service commission lasting three years!. However, it was announced in September 2008 that the Prince would be extending his time in the forces, first by taking on another secondment in the autumn of 2008 (including working at the MOD and non-operational flying with the Army Air Corps). Then it was announced that he would transfer from the Army to the RAF in order to train as a full time search and rescue helicopter pilot this role enables him to take an active role as a member of the armed forces without him being deployed on combat operations.

In January 2009, William transferred his commission to the RAF and was promoted to Flight Lieutenant. He trained to become a helicopter pilot with the RAF's Search and Rescue Force. In January 2010, he graduated from the Defence Helicopter Flying School at RAF Shawbury, where he had been under the instruction of Squadron Leader Craig Finch.
On 26 January 2010 he transferred to the Search and Rescue Training Unit at RAF Valley on Anglesey to receive training on the Sea King search and rescue helicopter and graduated from this course 17 September 2010.

It was announced on 15 April 2010 that William will remain at RAF Valley for his operational tour, being assigned to No. 22 Squadron and initially performing co-pilot duties. It is expected that William's operational tour will last 30 to 36 months.[45]

In February 2012, the Duke indicated that, rather than leave the service at the end of his commission in 2013, as had been expected, he would instead remain with the RAF for a further three year commission up to at least 2016, which is when the RAF Search and Rescue Force is due to be disbanded and replaced by a private contractor.[53]

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:07:03 am »

His "carer" is mediocre at best  Cool.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:15:57 pm »

I'll say. 
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »

This might sound off topic but my boyfriend has to have his hair shaved in military. Did will or harry every have to do that for military training?  Is it different criteria in UK than US?? Just curious   Embarrassed

In the US, yes, there is regulation crew cuts and they have to keep it closely cut; as for William and the other Windsors, they already have enough problems with hair loss and frankly, I do not think that they would end up growing it back.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
pravda101
royal watcher

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »

In the US, yes, there is regulation crew cuts and they have to keep it closely cut; as for William and the other Windsors, they already have enough problems with hair loss and frankly, I do not think that they would end up growing it back.

Didn't Harry have his hair fairly buzzed when he was at Sandhurst?? I remember seeing it really short but I've never seen it short on William though.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 12:27:56 am »

Well, he might end up being discharged (honorably or dishonorably) and end up with the few medals he does have as a souveneir of his time there. H'es being an albatross and a joke and this whole thing seems like some way to just amuse himself and pass the time to prevent doing his duty.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:06:34 pm »

can someone explain what's the role of William in the submarine area?

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 01:36:48 am »

the role of William in the submarine areaa

To not drown in the shower or sink or his glass of water.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 05:32:02 am »

tehe laugh

It was during the short navy stint in 08,
I think he went on a secret training mission (oho) to catch some evil drug smugglers who were using submarines. (or something like that no sure on the details)
It was around the time he grew a beard for some odd reason (some of my fav pic's of Will's, he looked lot more yummy with it) thumbsup

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 05:08:15 pm »

catch some evil drug smugglers who were using submarines

Getting rid of Uncle Gary's competition?

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 06:25:27 pm »

the role of William in the submarine areaa

To not drown in the shower or sink or his glass of water.

laugh laugh

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 05:27:41 pm »

Army to lose 17 units amid job cuts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18716101

will this be more important for Wills or Harry?

rogue
Duchess

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 09:31:23 pm »

NO , but then again they are Royal and they are with the Royal Air Force.

William is with the SAR/ and they are privatising and Harry is an Apache pilot and from what i have read its a difficult one to operate and very few make it through and lets not forget the costs of training an Apache pilot.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 11:53:15 pm »

The SAR is to be privatised in 2017 I believe so William's role will only be until then anyway.

sandy
Princess

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 01:56:01 am »

Will's plans are not announced as yet. I hope he doesn't re-enlist and starts doing full time royal work.
giamodel60
Countess

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 03:12:53 am »

Rumours are If he can't do s and r anymore he will move to another area.

If you don't Beleive what I write don't read it. . Please ignore and move on , I'd rather not explain myself to you 100 times !
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 05:00:49 am »

Which unit will he go to?

He has a bad reputation for shirking his duties and he has no other skills to go anywhere. HM might be able ot influence, but there might be an official who will balk at having him play while the other cadets are currently risking their lives and not jet setting all over the place. Looking at it the way this is, there is little to no chance of being accepted in any branch. Since Kate has snubbed the military wives, it is an impossibility that he end up anywhere; all these military men have wives who will become harpies if an officer in charge mentions letting William live on base and work in their unit.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: