Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 11:26:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rchard Palmer's blog on a warning for the monarchy  (Read 8727 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: May 04, 2012, 06:01:40 pm »

http://www.express.co.uk/blogs/post/267/blog/2012/05/04/318178/Royal-blog-Diamond-Jubilee-warning-signs-for-the-monarchy

I do think Richard Palmer has a more balanced view of things than many of the others. He's commenting on the poll findings.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »

It's quite a good article.

A senior royal aide says: “Hopefully, the Queen will live for many years yet. We’ve always said that we believed people would warm to the Duchess as they got to meet her.”

How cynical can they be?

Unfortunately, many employers cannot afford to put on parties this year, nor make such donations. My own firm, which has riverfront offices in London, has not felt able to give its employees a pay rise in more than four years. So, speaking personally, I'd be annoyed if it suddenly found a pile of cash to start giving away to support a monarch with a £310 million personal fortune, much as I value the work she has done for my country.

This is exactly what I argued in the jubilee cost thread. Business cannot allow themselves spend money in the jubilee nonsense.

R. Palmer is sometimes very sugary but other times he surprises me with very interesting articles like this one. Who knows he may be the Whittaker of his generation.  eating cookies

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
rogue
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:53 pm »

A senior royal aide says: “Hopefully, the Queen will live for many years yet. We’ve always said that we believed people would warm to the Duchess as they got to meet her.”

Which one Cornwall or Cambridge ?
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:19 pm »

Cornwall.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:51:16 pm »

This has appeared on the DT web site (don't choke when you read the bit about the "Kate effect") but I cannot find the source of it.

It's a new poll said to be by Ipsos Mori taken for a national newspaper the weekend before last and claiming stuning support for the RF.

The story has since been carried by the Press Association and has appeared across the world media. Except I cannot find the poll findings and report on the Mori website but perhap they will post it soon. I was intrigued as I want to see exactly what questions they posed to get such results.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9275483/Diamond-Jubilee-and-Kate-effect-lead-to-record-support-for-the-monarchy-poll-shows.html

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Leila
Countess

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:00:37 pm »

Is this in response to the poll a couple of weeks ago that only 51% think the country would be worse off with a republic?  bored3
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:16:13 pm »

Hi Leila  Hi

The one from a few weeks ao, which RP is writing about was commissioned by Republic (I think). They run it annually to see how it changes. As does Mori.

It wasn't there when i looked today but I have now found its they must havejust posted it. I did think it was strange.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/2968/Support-for-the-Monarchy-is-at-an-all-time-high.aspx

If anyone wants to look in their archive there are lots of poll details.

Just added: This is the Republic findings. The reason I wanted to compare the to is to see what questions were asked to give such different results. I know the scientific sampling is supposed to be very accurate but 1,000 odd people out of a population of 66 million really is open toquestion.

http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?p=425
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:25:07 pm by True Brit » Logged

Leila
Countess

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:23:17 pm »

hug

Yes, that one was comissioned by Replublic. It was down from 61% in the previous year. After a year of pr overload that's rather remarkable.

I'm not sure how much all these polls really tell us. It always depends on how many/who/how/what they ask.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 01:12:08 am »

It's quite a good article.

How cynical can they be?

Unfortunately, many employers cannot afford to put on parties this year, nor make such donations. My own firm, which has riverfront offices in London, has not felt able to give its employees a pay rise in more than four years. So, speaking personally, I'd be annoyed if it suddenly found a pile of cash to start giving away to support a monarch with a £310 million personal fortune, much as I value the work she has done for my country.

This is exactly what I argued in the jubilee cost thread. Business cannot allow themselves spend money in the jubilee nonsense.

R. Palmer is sometimes very sugary but other times he surprises me with very interesting articles like this one. Who knows he may be the Whittaker of his generation.  eating cookies

One thing that stands out in my mind is how impractical HM and the rest of the RF are; they apparently expected businesses to just fork over hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of pounds, despite the fact that the RF has never at all really been friendly to business or known how a business is run.

The RF is not at all run like a business, if it were, they would certainly not at all be in half hte messes that they are in and would not have had the scandals that they have had in the past two decades, along with their complete lack of knowledge of how the real world works makes it a laugh.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 03:04:23 pm »

An interesting blog on recent monarchy polls. Give this one a round of applause for being sceptical.

http://somethingsurprising.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/bbc-propaganda-again-queen.html

Leila
Countess

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:16:09 pm »

thankyou
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 03:18:47 pm »

Have posted this elsewhere but it does have some relevance to this thread. Quite shocking tale of how the BBC tried to get nothing but gushing comments on the Queen from Australians

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2012/australian-identity/republic/bbc-asks-wrong-australian-for-pro-royalist-propaganda/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: