Royal Gossip
June 19, 2018, 06:05:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you eating  (Read 52807 times)
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #220 on: December 04, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »

^Thanksgiving leftovers are like the pyramids, Akasha.  Ted has returned so things will change.  Between my brother, his son and Ted, I've already lost the apple, pumpkin and (quickly made) chocolate cake.  They also plowed through the cranberry crisp and all of the crescent rolls as well as the cheese, crackers and spinach dip. It's time for somebody to make a Shepherd's Pie.

I'd love to have a salad of some kind.  I might have to have one shipped in. 

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2013, 04:42:03 pm »

Errr don't you guy's have supermarkets???
I just bought the green stuff fresh at my market for less then 10$ and it'll serve at least 4 ppl. (my mum and I will eat it again tomorrow as a side salat with a nice cordon bleu  thumbsup)

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02:49 pm »

Yes, we have supermarkets but the produce is quite tired and certainly not fresh.  Not this time of year anyway, so it's a challenge to be truly healthy.  It's very hard to find good lettuce let alone fresh vegetables.  When this was my main residence, I grew my own window lettuce.  I had to. 

It's funny, the big deal is to order oranges for the winter.  It's for a charity/church but everybody waits for those fresh fruits.  I'm having my friends send me care packages of papaya, tomatoes, oranges, tangerines and assorted other things.  Best health insurance my grandmother always said.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2013, 11:51:34 pm »

Sorry I forgot for a sec that you're up in yeti land... tehe flower
In Europe we manage to get the basic greens (lettuce,tomato, cucumber, celery, leek, potatoes, radish, peppers) all year round!
Fruit assortment is smaller mostly oranges, apple, pear, kiwi and grapes (yuck) so no seasonal or tropical stuff like cherry strawberries, pineapple or papaya's
But we can still buy fruit and veggies in our local markets!
And if you really want you can just go to a bigger store or deli to get the whole shebang. tehe (for a bigger price of course)

True, in winter a lot of it is grown in green houses and import from the south like Spain Italy and Greece goes up but with the open borders in the EU is not that hard or expensive any more.
Don't you guy's import fruit and veggies from Mexico or the southern states?!  huh
Because if you compare Europe with US size wise that what we do in winter.

Perhaps we're spoiled in Europe food wise 'cause I never considered not having veggie's and fruit in winter in the shop's.  dontknow

So what, you guy's survive on meat and potatoes over there in winter?
Say if you're truly desperate for some mixed green check out Mac Do, they usually have some salad dish on their menu, at least over here they do....(I know it's silly to go a fast food joint for a salat but hey it's worth a shot no?)

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:23 am »

Hadn't thought of McD's.  But, good call as long as you avoid the croutons and dressing they use.  Yeah, we get fruits (apples, really sad bananas, grapes) and veggies but they're picked undoubtedly in Mexico and it takes a good week to 10 days to get them up here so, well, for instance, I bought 3 bananas and by the next day they were black, so you have to eat them in the store, I guess.  The lettuce is ok.  We get iceberg and romaine but, again, it's just mostly water and any vitamin content evaporated on the truck.

It's really a shock to my system so I drink as much vitamin and protein drinks that I can get and go to a local co-op to get good, whole grain breads.  I just miss the availability and feeling of fresh produce.  There really is a difference.  Obesity is another problem up here and it's easy to see why.  Unfortunately, less expensive food is not always the best for you. 

You really are spoiled in Europe and it's one of the many things I love when I get there.  The food is out of this world by comparison.  And I love it that they cook whatever is the freshest of the day.  Yum.

Tonight it's going to be canned soup.  Lentil.  yay.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2013, 01:45:17 am »

The heck! Do you transport the stuff on pony express or what? 10 day's on the road?  Shocked
I know we fly over some stuff from africa (tropical fruit) but most of it is done on road as well I guess within 3 or 4 day's from Spain harvest to Belgium wholesale market then maybe another two day's until in the actual grocery shops.
What takes you guy's so long? No wonder all the vitamins are gone even if you have it in fridge ore freeze truck's! blink

And I don't mean banana's, they spend two weeks on the boat from Africa to us as well, but regular stuff like tomatoes don't you grow that in cali?
can't be that hard to get it over those rocky's! and how about stuff from Kentucky or Arkansas?

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2013, 07:34:56 pm »

Deluxe Pizza

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »

a bit lazy today so, microwave food: pasta with tomatosauce and salmon.

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2013, 09:27:47 pm »

Hot dip sandwich.  Probably the least healthy thing on earth, but dang good.  Beef, melted cheese on crusty roll with a dipping broth.

^Akasha, you have to see this part of the world to believe it.  It's impossible to get in/out this time of year and only two flights a day that do not ship food, so it's truckers.  (It took two weeks to get my furniture here from Cali, for a frame of reference - BIG country)  Right now, the only place in the US that is growing anything is the deep, deep south or California/Texas.  Almost every box I see in the local grocery is from Mexico, tho.  Frozen veggies are the only way to go.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2013, 09:37:12 pm »

I'm eating a peace of chocolate and enjoying a glas of wine!
yup I'm  chill

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:11 pm »

^Ooooooh, I want chocolate! 

Ceridwen
Baroness

« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2013, 03:46:47 am »

Strawberries dipped in chocolate with champagne  Kiss

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #232 on: December 24, 2013, 09:13:38 pm »

Turkey and bacon sandwich

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

HC
Countess

« Reply #233 on: December 25, 2013, 12:54:34 am »

Christmas dinner - Duck and pork
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #234 on: December 25, 2013, 03:49:36 pm »

My husband has been in culinary school, so for Breakfast he made us hash browns, roasted ham...and poached eggs

I love eating my hubby's food now easter-lol
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2013, 04:28:13 pm »

Sounds good.
I didn't eat anything waiting for Christmas dinner .so I can eat and pass out

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2014, 04:17:59 pm »

On the menu today ginger lobster

Magnolia
Duchess

« Reply #237 on: April 14, 2014, 11:49:36 am »

Papaya shake pretty refreshing.

THIS IS YOU:NET- FXCKER A PERSON WHO SPENDS DAYS ON THE INTERNET AT A TIME USUALLY LATE AT NIGHT OR VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING HE OR SHE IS A RECLUSE AND A NET-FXCKER! THIS IS YOU:NET-JUNKIES TEND TO NOT HAVE LIVES ALTHOUGH ON RARE OCCASIONS ONE OF THEM UNWITTINGLY DOWNLOADS IT FROM THE INTERNET
Stargazer
courtier

« Reply #238 on: April 14, 2014, 12:16:23 pm »

Yummy warm chicken salad, followed by delicious chocolate brownies my son made -gluten free for me! 
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #239 on: April 14, 2014, 02:22:52 pm »

Spaghetti squash last night.  SOOO good and I was pleasantly surprised to find it at the store, being off-season.  My body said thank you.

^I would appreciate the recipe for those brownies when you get the chance.   thankyou

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: