Royal Gossip
October 15, 2018, 08:50:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Night Diana Died  (Read 4633 times)
Cressida
Baroness

« on: April 10, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »

I thought I would share my memories of that night and what I thought about events, perhaps others might like to too.

I had gone to bed relatively early but couldn't sleep. I remember I switched on the TV in my room and started to read Teletext headlines. It said Diana had been in a crash so I immediately went downstairs and put the TV on to see if there were any news reports. It was before 24hr news channels so I was hoping BBC might have interrupted programmes to show some news. My parents were on holiday and I was about 23yrs. I sat there all night watching the updates - that she had broken her arm but was ok, that Dodi had died, that the photographers were arrested. I remember seeing the car being towed out of the tunnel and thinking 'Dear God, how can anyone have got out of that alive?'

I remember the newsreader saying that they were waiting to hear a statement from Robin Cook, and my heart sinking. It had to be serious if they needed a statement from the foreign secretary! When they finally announced that she had died I was completely devastated. I had loved her since she came on the scene when I was seven, and the idea that we would no longer see her was just awful. I also felt really angry - I genuinely felt that the Royal Family had finally found a way to get rid of her, it was my gut and immediate instinct and based on what had been happening at the time. I didn't know how but I was convinced the establishment had done it.

I remember being really cross that Charles went to collect her body. It just felt like an act after the way he had treated her, like it was all too late. Seeing her coffin for the first time was so so sad. I sent flowers through Interflora to be placed at the gates of KP, quite early that morning. I actually thought nobody else would be that bothered so I was really pleased when people mourned her the way they did. I just felt that she had been the best asset the Royals had, a real gem and they had through jealousy, lost her. The world felt a dull place and that week was just surreal. I still miss her, strange some might say since I didn't know her personally. But I felt like I did, I felt that she would have understood certain things I suffered that were the same as her problems, I felt that she cared about people and was genuine. We needed her in this world to balance all the politics and coldness of establishment, and she was suddenly gone.

Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:25:41 pm »

thankyou

I watched a docu and they said that no paper was allowed to print quotes of mourners who said they think she was murdered, they were very angry and the tension was intense, or surreal like you said.
Sunday morning I woke up and watched TV with my little sister. We both were shocked, altough we knew her not that long, my sister was 9 and I 10 years old. My mother was also upset, she loved her, not only because Diana was friendly towards muslims.
We didn´t watched the funeral, I didn´t wanted to see the boys grieving in front of millions.
Mooster
Duchess

"William, stop worrying...the paps wouldn't dare!"

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:22:04 pm »

I was my daughter's 10th birthday, I came downstairs full of smiles ready for the day and my daughter (who was sitting with her father) looked up at me with a sad little face and said 'Princess Diana's died'...the shock...I immediately thought she'd died in her sleep of a brain haemorrhage or something natural like that...then I turned on the news - well the rest is history, and we all spent the day in tears.  I remember, the days after, in the shopping precinct etc were surreal...everyone looked sad, you could cut the atmosphere with a knife, it was palpable.  The day of the funeral, everywhere was deserted.  So very, very sad  sob

Diana, Zac, Jemima, Ben and Sir James Goldsmith    

Princess Alucard
Countess

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:18 pm »

I was young and was on my computer with the tv on behind me when I heard the breaking news I cried.  sob

Nov. 16, 2010.... Hell froze over *plays in the snow*

thtregoddess11
courtier

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:34:58 pm »

I was 11. I had a friend sleep over, and we were playing in my room when I thought I heard someone talking about one of my relatives (who we all called Dombie...how I got Dombie from Diana, I don't know) dying, so my friend and I went to see what was going on.

We came out of my room, and asked what was wrong. My mom told us that Princess Diana had died. And then told us to go to bed.

It was at that moment that I became interested in royals. It lasted about a year (I even did an extra credit essay on Diana, Princess of Wales for my class that year) then dropped off for a while...then I became interested in classic movies...and Grace Kelly...now here I am again...

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 07:19:42 pm »

I'm going to be the anti climax, because when I woke up and my father told me, I was "Diana, who?" and went to breakfast.

Yep, I'm youngish.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:02:44 pm »

I remember it was my first day of school in the 7th? grade (I was twelve)
I woke up exited because I was changing schools (in Belgium they split education in three parts: pre school grade 1-6, then high school grade 7-12, then uni )
Then my dad turned on the telly and we saw the car wreck and heard the news.
My mum gasped and went like "oh no those poor boy's" and my dad went like "always knew those madmen would kill her one day!" then we had breakfast and I went to school.
I was young, I knew who she was but it didn't bother me that much, she wasn't my princess and I was swapping schools ya know!  tehe

I never quite figured out exactly who my dad was referring to with that 'madmen' remark tough: pap's or palace easter-think dontknow

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
thtregoddess11
courtier

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:29 pm »

[
I never quite figured out exactly who my dad was referring to with that 'madmen' remark tough: pap's or palace easter-think dontknow

Perhaps both? easter-lol easter-wink

memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:45:27 pm »

i was very young when she died. i almost didin't know who she was. i was in shock a princess died like that. But what will always remain in my memory was her funeral: wills and harry behind her walking to the abbey and thinking: "don't they cry?" and, for tghe first time in my life, fear for my parents' lives.

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

Jane23
Princess

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:05 am »

I was like 12 my reaction when I learned of her death was shock honest to God shock because of course I never saw that coming you never think someone that young can die as stupid as it sounds you never expect it .
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 03:34:17 am »

I am much the same age as Diana, my oldest daughter was six weeks old, when my sister, husband and I watched her wedding, I had another daughter the same year as Harry was born.

Many women my age felt an affinity with Diana, for many reasons, we were mum's, we are daughters in law, we were women who wanted to be taken seriously, and juggling our various roles.

Diana evolved before our eyes, her fashion, her causes, her actions, she became her own person, in spite of The Prince of Wails.

We were sad when it came out how betrayed she was by her husband, and horrified to learn she had been given little or no support by the RF.. aged 20 and pregnant, she did solo events.

I saw the newsflash to say she was injured.. broken arm, but Dodi was dead, and then not long after, it was announced she had died.  My sister was with me and we both cried.. it was dreadful, for her boys, her sons, and for her, just as she was beginning to come into her own, making a difference with landmines etc.

Watched the funeral, with my sister, as we had watched her wedding, still in shock, and when her brother made his speech, we stood up and applauded just as the people in the streets did. ( the only decent thing that man ever did IMO)

Anger at the paparazi, at Prince Charles, at Camilla and then at HM for not responding to any sort of public outcry.

As the years have gone by, and Camilla has been repackaged, rewrapped, new improved, so many times .. and watching Diana airbrushed from history, her portrait at the National Gallery taken down for cleaning and never returned etc.

Now it is ironic that the RF is using her to make money at Kensington Palace these days.

Many questions remain about her death, each and every single camera at the entrance and thru the tunnel and in the street before the tunnel, all not working for TEN minutes... Henri Paul.. the cash in his pocket and in his bank, the wrong blood alcohol reading, taken from another body in the morgue, the Fiat Uno.. the dead reporter.. the car she was in going on fire, the laptop of an investigator being stolen .. 10 YEARS before an inquest was heard... 2 hours to reach a hospital that was less than 15 minutes away... the men in suits outside the ambulance, the partial autopsy .. I could go on and on ...

Diana was no saint, she said so herself, she made lots of mistakes, she did wrong ... but she was doing what she could with her life, and for the lives of landmine victims and lepers, HIV sufferers, the homeless, in very sad circumstances, to see her snuffed out, and then the *despise* campaign against her from Charles' cronies, during and after her life.

Then the advent of Camilla ... who should have remained in the background but for an inquiry into the finances of the PoW, who claimed her as a dependant and also as an employee on his taxes... and voila .. an engagement, a hurried hole in the wall marriage, and the details that were hashed out being hidden for decades to come ... ghastly !
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:39:16 am by Tatiana » Logged

Yooper
Princess

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 06:51:55 am »

It was a super hot night in Michigan so we had all the windows open and couldn't sleep, so we were watching a movie in the dark.  Then, the scrolling came across the bottom stating that she had died in a car accident in Paris.  We both turned on our respective lamps by the bed and went to CNN for verification and never said a word to each other.  We were just stunned; both of us (my husband and I).  That whole night we just lay there staring at the ceiling and I heard my husband softly crying. 

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
thtregoddess11
courtier

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02:58 am »

I'm going to be the anti climax, because when I woke up and my father told me, I was "Diana, who?" and went to breakfast.

Yep, I'm youngish.

No worries, I was 11, and didn't really know who she was at the time. After she died, I began to get curious about who she was and whatnot...and the Royal obsessiveness began.

Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »

I am much the same age as Diana, my oldest daughter was six weeks old, when my sister, husband and I watched her wedding, I had another daughter the same year as Harry was born.

Many women my age felt an affinity with Diana, for many reasons, we were mum's, we are daughters in law, we were women who wanted to be taken seriously, and juggling our various roles.

Diana evolved before our eyes, her fashion, her causes, her actions, she became her own person, in spite of The Prince of Wails.

We were sad when it came out how betrayed she was by her husband, and horrified to learn she had been given little or no support by the RF.. aged 20 and pregnant, she did solo events.

I saw the newsflash to say she was injured.. broken arm, but Dodi was dead, and then not long after, it was announced she had died.  My sister was with me and we both cried.. it was dreadful, for her boys, her sons, and for her, just as she was beginning to come into her own, making a difference with landmines etc.

Watched the funeral, with my sister, as we had watched her wedding, still in shock, and when her brother made his speech, we stood up and applauded just as the people in the streets did. ( the only decent thing that man ever did IMO)

Anger at the paparazi, at Prince Charles, at Camilla and then at HM for not responding to any sort of public outcry.

As the years have gone by, and Camilla has been repackaged, rewrapped, new improved, so many times .. and watching Diana airbrushed from history, her portrait at the National Gallery taken down for cleaning and never returned etc.

Now it is ironic that the RF is using her to make money at Kensington Palace these days.

Many questions remain about her death, each and every single camera at the entrance and thru the tunnel and in the street before the tunnel, all not working for TEN minutes... Henri Paul.. the cash in his pocket and in his bank, the wrong blood alcohol reading, taken from another body in the morgue, the Fiat Uno.. the dead reporter.. the car she was in going on fire, the laptop of an investigator being stolen .. 10 YEARS before an inquest was heard... 2 hours to reach a hospital that was less than 15 minutes away... the men in suits outside the ambulance, the partial autopsy .. I could go on and on ...

Diana was no saint, she said so herself, she made lots of mistakes, she did wrong ... but she was doing what she could with her life, and for the lives of landmine victims and lepers, HIV sufferers, the homeless, in very sad circumstances, to see her snuffed out, and then the *despise* campaign against her from Charles' cronies, during and after her life.

Then the advent of Camilla ... who should have remained in the background but for an inquiry into the finances of the PoW, who claimed her as a dependant and also as an employee on his taxes... and voila .. an engagement, a hurried hole in the wall marriage, and the details that were hashed out being hidden for decades to come ... ghastly !

Really enjoyed reading this - all my feelings and memories exactly.

Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:58 pm »

Tatiana  YouGoGirlsign
memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 11:39:51 pm »

Tatiana, you know and observe so much !  thumbsup

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »

thankyou

I learn a lot from everyone on here too!

Sarahjane
royal watcher

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 07:51:02 am »

I was 11 turning twelve that year. I was suffering a severe case of whopping cough so i had been bed ridden for over a month. I remember hearing of dianas death on a very beautiful, sunny day. My older brother was watching the news while my mum was outside watering the plants. All we heard was "OH *poo*....shes dead"... and my mum dropped the hose and ran into the house. I couldnt fully grasp what had happened, how horrible and serious it was until my mum said quietly."oh those poor boys. They wouldnt know yet"... because of the time difference.

I will never forget watching her funeral. The silence as her casket rode by on the herse, the wimpering from the crowds, watching william and harry walk with thier heads down behind her, the "Mummy" letter on top of her casket...her brothers speech, the adulated applause at the end. All very sad.

My brothers though, had a different outlook. They felt her death was planned. Paving the way for charles to re-marry. All power that diana had over the windsors... gone in a flash. My mother was in complete shock.

People saw her as immortal.
ariadne
royal watcher

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 01:10:21 am »

well that evening i remember i was reading a newspaper, i saw her picture and suddenly thought that if Princess Diana dies, there would be a huge scandal.. later on i saw a dream which started in a dark tunnel. i was with my friends in that tunnel and one of them said "there is a royal member coming by car and today it's your turn to open the car's door". so then i found myself outside of the tunnel, in front of a palace. It was a sunny day and there were lots of people waiting for the royal member to arrive there and they all seem very happy! after waiting awhile,black car came slowly and stopped in front of me. so i opened the door but a huge black cloud came outside.  when i woke up that morning i heard that Diana died in a car crash. i was shocked as everyone else. it was a very sad day..
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 03:14:09 am »

I was sixteen at the time.  Honestly, I was shocked by it as most people are when they hear a famous person has died but not enough to be overwhelmingly sad or in tears.  Truthfully, back then I was young and self obsorbed so Diana, the RF, etc. were not topics of interest.  Diana's death did not effect me on the same scale.  However, I did feel hurt for William and Harry because they had lost their mother.  I am very close to my own mother.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: