Royal Gossip
October 18, 2017, 03:52:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wessex Family: News and Photos  (Read 83754 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #580 on: October 11, 2015, 07:37:30 pm »

Her Royal Highness this afternoon attended a Lunch with the Qatar British Business Forum at W Hotel, Doha.
The Countess of Wessex later visited the offices of Standard Chartered Bank, Doha.

Her Royal Highness afterwards visited Mada (Qatar Assistive Technology Center) and Information and Communication Technology Senior Management Team, Doha.
The Countess of Wessex, Global Ambassador, International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness, this evening attended a Dinner for Orbis and Seeing is Believing on board SHAMEKH.

The Countess of Wessex this morning departed from Heathrow Airport, London, for Qatar and was received upon arrival this afternoon at Hamad International Airport by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the State of Qatar (His Excellency Mr. Nicholas Hopton).
Her Royal Highness, Global Ambassador, International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness, this evening attended an Awards Ceremony and Dinner for the Qatar British Business Forum at the British Embassy in Doha.

I agree that she went because of her patronage but the rest of the agenda is iffy.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #581 on: October 12, 2015, 11:16:00 am »

But how would the public react if Sophie is there for her charity and Andrew is there for another event, and probably took a different route, so a different plane?

The outburst would be massive; two royals in the same country, at the same time, meaing double security detail in that country, being paid overtime etc. Now it is just one royal who combines things.
I really see no problem in that.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #582 on: October 12, 2015, 11:59:31 am »

But I didn't say that? Simply that the Wessex seem to be taking the controversial role Andrew had as trade ambassador.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #583 on: October 12, 2015, 01:51:28 pm »

Could be, but I am not convinced after just one visit. Especially after her other activities could be easily explained by stating that she was in the country anyway because of the annual conference of her charity.
We'll see what happens in the future. If Sophie and/or Edward will start making dedicated visits to country for the sole purpose of trade-missions, we will know more.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing less of Randy Andy. Edward is not perfect (who is) but at least he was never mentioned in a child-abuse case like Andrew.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #584 on: October 12, 2015, 02:23:59 pm »

The British royals never miss an opportunity to kiss up to rich Middle Easterners.   I don't know if Sophie is taking on any of Andrew's responsibilities -- it's a thought -- but certainly she isn't going to let any opportunity slip by.  She might get an expensive jewel or two, after all!   Remember how enthusiastically she went after the "shiekh" to tell him insider tidbits to reel his supposed millions in to her company. This is not new ground for her.    bored3
My2Pence
gossip insider

« Reply #585 on: October 29, 2015, 09:04:39 pm »

Sophie, Louise, and James attend Families' Day on board HMS Daring

http://hrhcountessofwessex.blogspot.com/2015/10/hrh-attends-families-day-and-trafalgar.html
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #586 on: November 02, 2015, 10:16:54 pm »

I didn't saw this one. The kid is cute! And Louise has grown a lot. But she will need a makeover soon.

Though funny that they are giving the kids a lot more limelight even on official (semi?) events. This will end up like the Yorks...

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #587 on: November 02, 2015, 11:47:03 pm »

^ I think Sophie Wessex mentioned once after taking Louise and James to see a charity in action when they were overseas that she and Edward thought it was valuable that their children saw how others lived, away from their comfort zone. The Wessex kids are probably quite curious about how their parents occupy their time. I think it's been made quite clear to them that they will have to get jobs and lead a normal life.
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #588 on: November 03, 2015, 10:04:54 am »

I didn't saw this one. The kid is cute! And Louise has grown a lot. But she will need a makeover soon.

Though funny that they are giving the kids a lot more limelight even on official (semi?) events. This will end up like the Yorks...

Oh please...
First 'we see too little of the Wessex-children and 'something is wrong with them'. Now we see a little of them, as they grow older, and they will turn out like the Yorks. No matter what the Wessexes do, someone will find fault in it.
Princess Beatrix (when Crown Princess and later when Queen) brought her three sons to some events, if they were of interest to the boys. And the younger two sons of the Queen turned out OK. They have (or in Friso's cade had) their own careers, are only spotted on royal events on the big days and that is about it. I think Louise and James will be brought up in this manner and are prepped by their parents to have their own lives.

As for Louise needing a make-over. What a horrible thing to say. We ridicule Kate because she is too focussed on who she looks, we protest magazines who place pictures of models that look like they neer had a decent meal in their lives and you feel it is OK to say that a girl barely in her teens needs a make-over. As far as I am concerned, that comes pretty close to bullying. And it is dangerous as well. Louise doesn't need to be body-shamed. She will go through a natural make-over in a few years like all girls who turn into young women do. Until then she looks perfectly OK for her age.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #589 on: November 03, 2015, 10:31:27 am »

When did I say she needs to diet? *confused* Or criticised her body? Even body shamed?? Maybe you should reread my post before you accuse anyone of something like bullying.

She will need a makeover because she is still dressing as a child and will soon be a teenager. Im sure it will be fun to experiment and find her own style. I was more like thinking that she needed a haircut.

But really you like to found fault with wathever I say. I enjoy discussing with you even when we not agree but I see is not the same for you.

Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #590 on: November 03, 2015, 12:05:30 pm »

I guess it is semantic; in my point of view a make-over is much more than new clothes and a new hairstyle (BTW...I know plenty of teenage girls with long hair, like Louise). And even so, the use of the term 'need' is rather forceful. No one can decide wether she NEEDS a make-over. Louise can decide if she WANTS to make changes to her wardrobe and her hair.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #591 on: November 03, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »

The criticism about how Louise is dressed is directed toward Louise's mother, in my opinion.    Why is Louise's mother spending boatloads of money on her own clothing and beauty treatments and placing articles in the media about how fashionable she is, and chasing the spotlight, while dressing her daughter in dowdy, ill-fitting clothing meant for much younger and smaller children?   THAT, in my opinion, is the shameful behavior of Louise's mother toward her daughter.  She should be ashamed of herself.    It is possible to dress a young girl tastefully, modestly, AND fashionably.   And if money is tight in Bagshot Manor, perhaps Louise's mother can forego buying new designer hats and dresses for a while in order to buy her rapidly growing daughter appropriate clothing.

There have been no other young girls who have been body shamed and bullied on the internet more than the York girls.  And they were ridiculed for their bodies and teeth and eyes -- things they cannot help -- as well as their clothing.   The only thing pointed out about Louise is how her mother dresses her.   Not Louise herself, who has the potential to be a pretty young women when she gets through her gawky stage (and if she has the backbone to stand up to her forceful and self-centered mother who won't want even her daughter to outshine her).

And, as has been commented on before here and in other forums (and is becoming increasingly a topic in readers' comments in stories about the Wessexes), the Wessex children are different because their parents treat them differently.   Louise was kept away from public eye until the wedding when she was seven.  Only then did she began joining her parents regularly.  James has not yet been regularly included in the Royal Family gatherings, and when he is photographed with his family on the rare occasion, he and Louise have no interaction with one another and the entire family seems stressed.  It is abnormal any way you look at it, as all other royal children (except for the Cambridge children and their absence is criticized harshly on this forum, so why not the Wessex children) appear at family outings and are photographed with their families on a regular basis:  The Danes, the Swedes, the Spanish, the Norwegians and all the British royals except for the Wessexes and the Cambridges.  So it is odd, and since this is a gossip board, it is fair game to discuss, in my opinion. 
My2Pence
gossip insider

« Reply #592 on: November 03, 2015, 03:20:31 pm »

Has anyone considered that Louise has a brain and gets to select her own clothing? I sincerely doubt Sophie stands there telling her she isn't allowed to wear her favorite pink coat, even if Sophie knows the sleeves are too short.  Sophie the mom would just roll her eyes and think, next time I'm getting her to wear a new coat if it kills me.  Others of you insist that Sophie-the-evil-mother does it deliberately to try to shove her daughter aside.   I see absolutely no evidence of anything other than a normal, loving relationship between all four members of this little family. Likewise their interactions with the extended family appear normal and loving to me.

Louise is wearing trainers, jeans, and a tshirt at that event. In other casual photos she is dressed the same as the other girls. Why do some people insist that Sophie is an evil mother because Louise dresses like other girls her age in casual gear? She wears the old-fashioned clothes is at formal events with her formal granny.  When she's out riding with granny, she wears riding clothes. When doing casual things, she wears the same casual clothes as other girls her age - jeans, tshirt, trainers.

It seems to me it has always been the plan that Anne and Edward's children would be private citizens. The wildcards were Andrew's kids, partly due to Counselor of State duties. B&E may be called upon for those roles, even if they are not working royals. Because of that, and Andrew in general, the question of whether or not B&E would be working royals was up in the air for two decades. Louise and James, it was always known they wouldn't be working royals and their parents acted accordingly.

Sophie and Edward have never been big on polo, so why would they drag their kids to polo events? They take them to riding events, where they all interact just fine with each other and other members of the family. The Wessex children are private citizens. Private Citizens. Their parents are under NO obligation to trot them out for public consumption to be torn apart on gossip boards. Linley and Sarah's kids aren't discussed and they are in much the same position.  I question whether Louise and James are "fair game" on a gossip board, as they are private citizens and under the age of 18.  They will never work for the family firm, will never be working royals.  Their parents are "fair game" but the kids? That's a big question. 

Why compare them to royal children who are going to be the heir-and-spare like W&K's kids or any of the Scandinavian kids?  The children lower down in the succession for all royal houses are all seen and photographed less than those higher up, whether Scandinavian, Continental European, or British.

Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #593 on: November 03, 2015, 03:40:02 pm »

^ I don't know any families wherein the 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 year old children pick their own wardrobes or where if they did and it was unsuitable for the occasion (such as wearing coats and dresses that are too short and the sleeves are halfway up the arm to a ROYAL occasion), then the parent would step in as a parent and say no, you may not wear this today.  Show respect for Granny.

Is that a common practice in Britain?  That the children tell their parents what to do rather than vice versa?   

Are the Wessex children private citizens?  Unlike Anne's children, they have courtesy titles, and they live in a big ol' manor courtesy (at least in part) of the taxpayers.  I'd say (and this is my opinion only) that they are "semi-private".

I see no reason for the Wessexes to go to polo if they aren't into it, but every year they go to Christmas with the family and James has never been there.  That is a family function and he is part of the family. 

And have you ever seen Louise and James interact?  Regularly?   There were lots of photos of Zara and Peter, William and Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie, Christian and Isabella, etc. playing around with one another as siblings do.   

Edward and Sophie were given the option of leaving the royal life altogether and working their business as private citizens.  They were quite alarmed at this option and immediately gave up their (failing) businesses and totally embraced the royal life and began cutting ribbon (as Sophie swore she would never do, while disparaging Diana).   This was before they had children.  Therefore, they knew that their children would be in the public eye.  If this was so distasteful to them, they should have renounced the royal life before starting their family -- they were given that option in 2001.   But they want to be royal, and so they brought this life to their children as well.
My2Pence
gossip insider

« Reply #594 on: November 03, 2015, 04:13:59 pm »

Through the course of time in any society with royals and aristocracy, there is this transition. A young prince or princess far down the line marries. Their children may end up with titles (and secretly some royal cash and tiaras) but are private citizens.  Through the years, the royal association fades away, the money gets hidden and spent, and they continue as private citizens. Has happened for centuries and that's all we're seeing here.

Louise and James remain private citizens, no matter what funding their parents receive. Linley and Chatto have a big inheritance from their mother (and TITLES) and no doubt perks from Auntie Queen, but are private citizens descended from someone who used to be a working royal. Zara and Peter live on a private estate fixed up by the Crown Estate that is the basis for Anne's lifestyle and business.

They ALL have been funded through the years by a mixture of public and private funds when their parent is a working royal.  Margaret had a public role, Linley and Sarah do not. Anne has a public role, Zara and Peter do not. Yet even as adults, they live off their mother and her royal largess. Louise and James are no less private citizens because their parents (like Margaret and Anne) have public funding for a public role.

A child wanting to wear her favorite coat is now an example of all of UK society having bad parenting practices? Maybe granny bought her that coat and that's why Louise loves it.  I see nothing abnormal in the family interactions between the Wessex family members as a unit and their interactions with the larger family. Nor do I think that they are required to trot their children out to interact with their cousins in public places so you can criticize them. 

Not taking your child to a PR parade (AKA church at Christmas with the Queen) is a personal decision, especially when that child is a private citizen. For all you know, Louise and James regularly attend church with the Queen in private.  You find something nefarious in private citizens being raised as private citizens. I see nothing wrong with this practice and I see nothing wrong in Sophie and Edward's parenting.

They were asked to help the family firm at a time when things were falling down around the BRF's ears, and oh heaven forbid, they chose to do so? If they were needed for royal work, if the Board of Directors (Queen and Prince Philip) asked them to, they should have said no? You are assuming that they ran scared, you're making enormous assumptions.  They would have ended up fine if they were to try again in business, and they like all the others would have continued to have behind the scenes financial support, whether publicly through the Sovereign Grant or privately.  They were asked to join the firm full-time at a time when the Firm really needed them, so they did. Zut Alors! 

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #595 on: November 03, 2015, 04:25:42 pm »

Ok. I'm not liking the direction nor the tone that this thread is taking, so I'm locking it for a cooling off period.  We're getting into personal attacks and veering off topic, in general.  A new, fresh thread to start over will be created soon and you will find it under Wessex, which is under QEII/PP.

Moving forward:  Keep in mind the title of the thread which is News and Photos, not general chat.  Thanks!  YM
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:17:13 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: