Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 11:21:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC give pressure group Republic air time on Today  (Read 5479 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: March 10, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »

Republic may be a small (supposedly) group but they are keeping up the pressure. This follows a letter to the BBC's Governor General over their "fawning" coverage of the Jubilee.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9136164/BBC-gives-anti-monarchy-group-Republic-free-rein-on-Radio-4s-Today.html

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:07:19 pm »

Someone in twitter mentioned that BBC shouldn't give air time to Republic or to defend republicanism as the US doesn't promote monarchism. But US citizens do not pay for a national broadcaster, do they?

I think state owned media is very inefficient and doesn't serve the people who pay for it.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »

No-one really knows how many people support a Republic. I have seen figures of 25% of the population but the issue is the BBC is a public service broadcaster and should support the views of those people too and I think that's what their gripe is about.

I am not a republican (although I do question it all) but the level of obsequiousness when the BBC report anything is quite nauseating. There is just no criticism of anything the RF do; not even the costs.

Andrew Marr's recent Jubilee programme started off alright but studiously ignored anything to do with costs, criticisms etc etc. When someone of his intellect and capabilities is towing the party line you know you're in trouble.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »

Marr's doc was so sugary that I thought I was going to get a sugar coma.  cold

Republic seems to achieving more power in a very short term, or is it only me? The interesting thing would be knowing who is financing them.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:15 pm »

Someone in twitter mentioned that BBC shouldn't give air time to
Republic or to defend republicanism as the US doesn't promote monarchism
. But US citizens do not pay for a national broadcaster, do they?

I don't quite get that Alexandrine? At first I couldn't work out what it has to do with the US but is this because the US can listen to the BBC through the internet?  huh

If so it's only the Uk who pay for the licence fee so these are the people they should be listening to. Mind you there's growing resistance to paying the fee as people feel it is unfair that you can get a criminal record for refusing to pay it yet people can watch or listen via a PC and not pay any fee.

It will have to go and I think it will eventually.

True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 10:33:16 pm »

I have no idea who is financing them but I did see that the leading QC Michael Mansfield is one of their supporters. He represented Al Fayed at Diana's inquest and believes she was murdered because of her work with land mines.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/diana/6124673/Princess-Diana-death-was-not-an-accident-says-leading-lawyer.html

Mansfield is a seriously big cheese

Here's the DM's story about the land mines angle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1282907/Princess-Diana-killed-planning-expose-senior-Brits-involved-land-trade.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:36:15 pm by True Brit » Logged

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 10:36:54 pm »

No, it was a journo (maybe the former royal editor in NOTW?) that was angry about Republic's criticism over Marr's doc. He mentioned that the US media was not obligated to promote monarchy which is agains the establishment there so why should the BBC have to? I thought it was a very idiotic remark.

I'm totally against state broadcasters they are not useful for anything unless giving work to close connection to the powers.

I know that the financing question is nearly impossible to find out but it's the most important one imo.

True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:05 pm »

How bizarre and yes, a stupid thing to say. I am sure US citizens would be interested in hearing all sides of the argument.

Otherwise we may as well be North Korea.

Leila
Countess

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 11:29:44 pm »

I'm late to the party....

I agree the BBC's reporting is  ick
This morning in "The Art of Monarchy" on radio4 Jenny bond was drooling while talking about how special it all is. It was awful. Like a star-struck, teenage sycophant.
It's embarrassing how people you would normally consider to be intelligent loose any kind of perspective and ability to think when it comes to the monarchy.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 08:45:25 pm »

I think that the BBC and the rest of the British media really is doing this the same reason that China muzzles it's press: Face; the British media has the Olympics and the Jubilee and the BBC wants the best possible look for Britain at this point in time. They don't want to look bad and I thikn the 'after' of the Jubilee.

No-one really knows how many people support a Republic. I have seen figures of 25% of the population but the issue is the BBC is a public service broadcaster and should support the views of those people too and I think that's what their gripe is about.

Perhaps the BBC mistakes it's position as a branch of the monarchy, in service to HM and whoever is next in line. the number of vocal/publicly affiliated Republicans might be just 25%, but there mightbe more in private who just want to go about their business and really wouldn't feel anything other than at best diffidence, at worst indifference if the monarchy were to come up on the chopping block. It's the ones who aren't vocal you need ot pay attention to.

I am not a republican (although I do question it all) but the level of obsequiousness when the BBC report anything is quite nauseating. There is just no criticism of anything the RF do; not even the costs.

During the eighties and nineties, the BBC and other British news outlets made a fortune on the backs of the fashions, engagements, and scandals of the RF and I think that BBC is hoping for the same level of ratings and power that they had then. When it doesn't happen, then even the BBC will turn on them. At this point the press fawning is all the BRF has left.

Andrew Marr's recent Jubilee programme started off alright but studiously ignored anything to do with costs, criticisms etc etc. When someone of his intellect and capabilities is towing the party line you know you're in trouble.

It's for HM's sake, not for the rest of the RF surely.

Marr's doc was so sugary that I thought I was going to get a sugar coma.  cold

Republic seems to achieving more power in a very short term, or is it only me? The interesting thing would be knowing who is financing them.

I think Republic is funding itself, which is why it probably didn't start out as majorly successful or overt.

All I do know is that when Kate and Co. start pushing and pushing and pushing all the wrong people around, then the power backers will throw the BRF out, no matter who is sitting on the Throne as Sovereign. Charles will surely hold the Throne, but William will be sacrificed if it means pushing the Midds out.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Mooster
Duchess

"William, stop worrying...the paps wouldn't dare!"

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 08:56:56 pm »

^ but William will be sacrificed if it means pushing the Midds out.

Makes me wonder if this is part of the reason for the unusually positive articles regarding Harry on his Jubilee visit  dontknow  we can only hope  Shocked

Diana, Zac, Jemima, Ben and Sir James Goldsmith    

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:22:21 am »

I think it will be like that, mainly because William is causing such destruction and the Midds are only going to make things worse.

As for the Republicn movement, I hope they truly understand that creating a republic is no small or easy step.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 02:42:55 am »

Interesting.  I've done a little research into the concept of creating a Republic and it's really not all that overwhelming or difficult.  It's been done before in other countries without a lot of nonsense.  The BRF become private citizens and the decision needs to be made whether to have a president or not.  I'm sure there are plenty of willing advisors to help aid the process along.  It's not trivial and I don't mean it to sound that way, but the monarchy is a state of mind more than a state of state.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 04:07:19 am »

I dunno Yooper; it has taken us a hundred years and within that hundred, a Civil war to perfect it and it's noever easy to find the right people who won't go crazy with the power and influence that comes with being at the forefront of creating a Republic. George Washington had the toughness to take two terms and avoid becoming king and it has taken a lot of time to iron out the niggling details. It's about finding the RIGHT people, not the best credentialed.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 08:24:20 am »

No, it was a journo (maybe the former royal editor in NOTW?) that was angry about Republic's criticism over Marr's doc. He mentioned that the US media was not obligated to promote monarchy which is agains the establishment there so why should the BBC have to? I thought it was a very idiotic remark.

I'm totally against state broadcasters they are not useful for anything unless giving work to close connection to the powers.

I know that the financing question is nearly impossible to find out but it's the most important one imo.

In a country like Australia a state funded broadcaster is very important - because they are obliged to ensure that all citizens are able to get a basic coverage - a burden not put on the commercial networks.  There are areas in Australia where only the ABC is available - no commercial networks (TV or radio), limited telephone coverage or internet coverage so the government network is their link to the outside world.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:32 am »

^^Maybe I trust the system too much, KF.  All I really meant is that it's been done and even in the recent centuries, some with a referendum, some coup d'etat.  It's not impossible, however, it would take some effort.  On paper, not that hard, but all I was driving at was that the real challenge is changing people's attitudes.  A democratic mind with no monarchy after such a long time will be the harder thing to do.  It takes courage and a belief that the people are ultimately in charge.  May the UK do it?  Most assuredly.  Can they is another matter.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 11:09:56 am »

In a country like Australia a state funded broadcaster is very important - because they are obliged to ensure that all citizens are able to get a basic coverage - a burden not put on the commercial networks.  There are areas in Australia where only the ABC is available - no commercial networks (TV or radio), limited telephone coverage or internet coverage so the government network is their link to the outside world.

I would have to get more info before giving an opinion on the state broadcaster in Australia. But if ABC is available why the other networks don't reach there?

I can see that it would be a very special situation but in Europe networks arrive to every part of the country.

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 10:31:26 pm »

I dunno Yooper; it has taken us a hundred years and within that hundred, a Civil war to perfect it and it's noever easy to find the right people who won't go crazy with the power and influence that comes with being at the forefront of creating a Republic. George Washington had the toughness to take two terms and avoid becoming king and it has taken a lot of time to iron out the niggling details. It's about finding the RIGHT people, not the best credentialed.

Like George W  sigh

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 10:33:47 pm »

^^ dontknow

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 10:34:36 pm »

Cool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: