Royal Gossip
November 20, 2018, 12:44:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House of Commons pays tribute to HM The Queen on the Diamond Jubilee  (Read 2010 times)
True Brit
Duchess

« on: March 08, 2012, 10:33:23 am »

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2012-03-07a.849.0&s=speaker%3A24771#g865.0

I thought you might all be interested in this. MPs of all parties are speaking in support of HM and many relay some nice anecdotes from their meetings with her.

Nicholas Soames invoked Churchill:

I conclude as I started, with Churchill on the Queen. Broadcasting to the nation on 7 February 1952, on the death of King George VI, he ended with these words:

“I, whose youth was passed in the august, unchallenged and tranquil glories of the Victorian Era, may well feel a thrill in invoking, once more, the prayer and the Anthem ‘God Save the Queen’.”

All are supportive, most somewhat fulsome, nay fawning, and a couple have their feet on the ground. Scroll down to Paul Flynn and the historian Tristram Hunt who are both Labour MPs and whilst they also praise The Queen they caution against not being allowed to criticise in the House.

Paul Flynn:

The speeches that have been made so far have been sincere and heartfelt, and virtually all were true, but if someone wants to be critical, they are not allowed to be. If a monarch, or just a relative of the monarch, strayed from the paths of sainthood and perfection, it would be impossible for a Member of the House to be critical of that person. That is not sensible. If that circumstance should arise, we should be allowed to talk freely if words of criticism are necessary.

It is right, too, that the quarter of the population who describe themselves as republican should have their views heard. We know that figure is reflected in the membership of the House. When there was a debate some years ago about whether there should be an alternative Oath, more than 100 Members voted for it. To avoid the verbal rigmarole that republicans have to go through when taking the Oath, we should have an alternative.

Tristram Hunt makes an excellent point when he cautions about identifying to strongly with a dynasty rather than the constitutionally important role of the monarchy. I know people overseas don't often understand this - most in the UK don't make the distinction but should the Windors die out there would either be a republic or they would find a claimant to the throne from another dynasty.

It seems to me that if we were political scientists creating a state, as we did after the second world war, we would not begin with a monarchy in this day and age. It is an irrational, arbitrary, often deranged institution that depends upon the luck of genes, and it does not always work out well for the country, but not in this case. We must also, it seems, be careful about aligning too closely the history and identity of Britain with the history and identity of monarchy. Royal families come and go; some have very strong connections with the nation, others very weak ones—indeed, some do not even speak the same language as we do.

and

Finally, I am always wary when the House is too reverential towards monarchy. We should, as my hon. Friend Paul Flynn, who has departed, suggested, also speak to our different traditions. We should have a healthy respect but also a critical eye on the actions of the sovereign and on the sovereign’s finances, power and estate. We have our own history and identity in this place, a democratic rather than monarchical heritage that Britain also speaks to. As such, we can all pay deep respects to the enormous personal contribution of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Interesting that he and Paul Flynn have alluded to the sovereign's finances. Expect this oen to come back and hit everyone once the Jubilee year is over.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »

Fatty Soames, great chum and supporter of Charles, is a toadying sychophant, such a pity the Great Winston had this man for a grandson.

"Tristram Hunt makes an excellent point when he cautions about identifying to strongly with a dynasty rather than the constitutionally important role of the monarchy. I know people overseas don't often understand this - most in the UK don't make the distinction but should the Windors die out there would either be a republic or they would find a claimant to the throne from another dynasty".

He does.

"Interesting that he and Paul Flynn have alluded to the sovereign's finances. Expect this oen to come back and hit everyone once the Jubilee year is over".

Totally agree

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:23:53 am »

Tristram Hunt makes an excellent point when he cautions about identifying to strongly with a dynasty rather than the constitutionally important role of the monarchy. I know people overseas don't often understand this - most in the UK don't make the distinction but should the Windors die out there would either be a republic or they would find a claimant to the throne from another dynasty".

I wish the Windsors would remember this too; they are not the only dynasty to reign and they won't be the only one ot reign. The monarchy will not end with them.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:29:31 am »

No crystal ball here, but I don't see any monarchy lasting longer than another 100 years.  With the financial world becoming more united, the World Bank taking more and more inroads, their usefulness is becoming an unnecessary expense and clearly undemocratic in a world that is now finally getting it that any human being is capable of anything, given a chance and a willingness to work hard enough for it.

People would still visit London without them.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:06 am »

Chances are that the monarchial system will be dismantled, with titles being social designations. It'll be kinder to the royals since there will be less pressure to end up marrying for the sake of PR and I am sure there will be much happier princes and princesses as well. Social climbers can then be sued into oblivion instead of being able to bully their way into marriage into a RF via the press. After Charles I think that it will be put out to pasture.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:46:02 am »

^I agree and I think it will, in the end, be a relief for a great many people.  I would like to see what Charles does with his role when that inevitable time comes.  He has already stated that his religious beliefs are more globally minded and he may prove to be more of a rebel than we think.  But, I'd be surprised if it went beyond PC.

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:38:22 pm »

I shall be interested to see how Chaz and Camz are received as King and Consort ... well she has been Consorting for several decades now... eating cookies

If they do get there, we shall have to hold our collective noses, until one of Diana's sons' gets it...I prefer it to be Harry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: