Royal Gossip
October 20, 2018, 10:51:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the future Queen of Sweden is called Estelle?  (Read 7165 times)
gloria
courtier

« on: February 27, 2012, 04:18:45 am »

Why the future Queen of Sweden is called Estelle?
I hope you like the information

The first son of the Crown Princess of Sweden is a girl called Estelle yse, a name that the local media linked to the wife of a Swedish aristocrat believed to be saved tens of thousands of Jews in World War II and was later killed by a group of Jews.

"That name is very close to the heart of the princess and the family," said King Carl XVI Gustaf at a meeting with the authorities to announce the name, Estella Mary Silvia Ewa.

Estelle was the name of American women of Count Folke Bernadotte. Estelle Romaine, whose maiden name was Manville, died in Sweden in 1984.

Folke Bernadotte, nephew of a former king and vice president of the Swedish Red Cross, was known for preparing a white bus to save tens of thousands of Jews from extermination in Nazi Germany at the end of World War II.

But as the first official UN mediator, was assassinated by a Jewish group in 1948 after negotiating a truce in the war between Arabs and Palestinians.

Ewa's Princess Mary Estelle Silvia, born last Thursday, will be at the time the fifth woman to hold the throne of Sweden, after his mother, Victoria, and Queens Margaret (1389-1396), Cristina (1632-1654) and Ulrica Eleonora (1718-1720).

The Countess Estelle Bernadotte, with the kings of Sweden, is the third from the right, in a photo from 1980.
http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/gk044/Princesa%20Victoria/?action=view&current=estelle-655_826203c.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/gk044/Princesa%20Victoria/syaa72c4.jpg
Duchess Georgiana
courtier

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:40:46 am »

Thanks for the information, Gloria. The name has a special meaning, then.  thumbsup I'm beginning to get used to it.
lothwen
Duchess

Hello. My name is Lothwen, and I am a Harryaholic

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21:06 pm »

Thank goodness. I thought I had dreamed this information last night

I hope this story is true, and we can stop trying to figure out why Victoria and Daniel chose to name their daughter Estelle

I\\\'m not going to defend myself against these accusations of \\\"playing both sides.\\\"  If you want to know how I feel about Kate and William, read my posts.  If you want further proof, go to the \\\"other forum\\\" and read my posts there.  I have the same user name for both forums.
Duchess Georgiana
courtier

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:59:14 am »

More info and pictures on Estelle Romaine Manville de Bernadotte. What a beautiful woman and great humanitarian. Now I understand even more why the royal couple decided to name a future Queen after this lady!

Source: http://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_suecia/2012022857189/estelle-bernadotte/

Translation:

Estelle de Bernadotte: the woman who has given a name to the daughter of Victoria and Daniel of Sweden

The name of the daughter of Victoria and Daniel of Sweden has surprised both friends and strangers. Not included in the popular pools that contained Alicia, Desire, Christina and Sofia, neither obeyed by the dynastic tradition, which abounds with Victoria and Louise. The new princess is called Estelle in honor of a unique relative: Estelle de Bernadotte. An honor that her close family has celebrated: "I think she would have been very happy," said Folke Bernadotte of Wisborg to learn that princes Victoria and Daniel will christen their first child with the name of his mother. "It's the perfect tribute" he added.

The heirs have rejoined her name to the Bernadotte and Sweden as destiny had done in its day. And Estelle Romaine Manville was born on September 26, 1904 in Pleasantville (New York) and didn't become familiar with royalty until cupid crossed her path. From 1928 to 1973 she carried the title of Countess Bernadotte of Wisborg by her husband, but when she got married by the second time that year, she acquired the surname of her new husband and was called Estelle Ekstrand.

Estelle, daughter of an American industrialist, got to know Count Folke Bernadotte on the French Riviera. Folke had been invited by his uncle the king, to make a trip to the Riviera to recover from some health problems. And at a banquet organized by the father of Estelle they fell in love. A few months later, Folke asked for her hand. They married on December 1, 1928, at a ceremony in Pleasantville, the first royal wedding held on U.S. soil, which was attended by several members of the Swedish Royal Family, including the crown prince Gustav Adolf, his cousin and father of the current monarch. Estelle wore the wedding veil of Princess Sofia (1753-1829).

Folke began to work in a bank in the U.S., but after a while, the couple moved to Sweden, where he met his true vocation: diplomacy and humanitarian work. Together they had four children, although two (Federico Oscar and Gustavo Eduardo) died when little.

Folke Bernadotte (1895-1948), son of prince Oscar Bernadotte, nephew and grandson of Oscar II, in addition to uncle and godfather to king Carl XVI Gustaf, was in the military, a diplomat and director of the Swedish Red Cross. He had and active role in the rescue of prisoners of war in concentration camps of Nazi Germany at the end of World War II and was UN mediator in the Arab-Israeli war of 1948. He was killed by the armed Hebrew group named Lehi.

Estelle Bernadotte also had an active role in the International Red Cross and other humanitarian organizations. She presided over the Swedish Association of Women Scouts, helped maintain a shelter for women in Stockholm and directed the Folke Bernadotte Foundation to aid victims of brain paralysis. During the last years of her life she went to the French town of Saint-Paul-de-Vence, although she went back to the Scandinavian country to die on May 28, 1984 in Uppsala after complications following hip surgery. Today the Bernadottes and Sweden claim her back.

Photos:

http://www.hola.com/imagenes//realeza/casa_suecia/2012022857189/estelle-bernadotte/0-197-469/estelle-bernadotte-1-z.jpg

http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realeza/casa_suecia/2012022857189/estelle-bernadotte/0-197-471/estelle-bernadotte-2-a.jpg
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:07:03 am by Duchess Georgiana » Logged
gloria
courtier

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:25:28 am »

duchess Georgiana thank you very much for the information hug loveshower

lothwen.  Kiss According to Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, former press officer of the CR and mentor of Victoria itself.

Victoria says that Mary is friend very intimate.
This he has told DPA agency (?) Swedish news.
So apart from Estelle, the name of the mother of Victoria and Daniel's mother is Mary on behalf of (according to ETW) Crown Princess Mary.

What strikes me are the other names:

Silvia, the mother of Victoria.

Ewa, as the mother of Daniel.

And Mary, as the Princess Mary of Denmark. This demonstrates the excellent relationship we have with her. If I remember correctly, Viktoria and Daniel Frederick and Mary said they always supported his relationship, in fact, the 40 meets Fede was the first time I went together to a semi-official act of royalty (even when they were promised).
HC
Countess

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:47 pm »

I think it is so nice, that Victoria and Daniel has such a great friendship with Frederik and Mary.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:25:12 pm »

Interesting but more so if we think that the family has been inside a controversy recently due to the possible connection of Silvia's father with the nazis.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HC
Countess

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:50:27 pm »

I agree. That is interesting.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:07 pm »

Casuality? I don't know.

But it's clear that the next generation will avoid questions about the nazis closeness to Silvia's father and Carl Gustaf's.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: