Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 05:42:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles & Diana's Marriage  (Read 47369 times)
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:18 pm »

He kept the boys far away from Camilla  laugh His entire life has revolved around Camilla, he spend more time with her than with his own two sons.He put her first.He made them accept the mistress that had broke their mothers hart.Thats far worse than Diana being involved with Dodi.
He wanted to marry Camilla how do you think he should have went about things (Diana or no Diana) ? Not introduce her to them at all ?  tehe Seems to me the man can't win with some no matter what ...
sandy
Princess

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:13 am »

Ivy,Diana and Dodi are dead and gone so it is pure speculation about what would have happened to them. How they felt went with them to their graves. Speculation can take place ad infinitum but for obvious reasons it is not known how it would have turned out. Diana was divorced and could date.  THere is nothing "clear" about it being a fling since the two died very tragically before any conclusions could be drawn.
Would you prefer that the Dodi affair was serious? He was a sleazebag from a family whose fortune was made selling arms, including land mines. The Dodi affair  reflected poorly on Diana. This was also the first affair that Diana went public with. She didn't do that with Hasnat Khan which was still going on after the divorce. She kept that one secret. I didn't say anything about her not dating after the divorce.
There seems to be a double standard at work here. I am wondering why it wasn't "embarrassing" for the boys to hear their father saying he  wanted to be reincarnated as a box of Camilla's personal products. Or blind sided by seeing Camilla grinning ear to ear wearing a diamond necklace Charles gifted on her. They did not go to the birthday party for her. You can think it 10x worse but it is a matter of opinion.
I am sure they found it mortifying, but come on. Their intimate phone call was leaked by someone. Do you really think Charles and Camilla wanted their private talk broadcast to the entire world. Why should Wm. and Harry be upset about their father giving his girlfriend jewellery? His parents barely got along with each other. By the time of necklace they may have been separated or divorced. Why would children go to a birthday party for adults with no other children present?

And it isn't "sinful" to kiss someone in bathing attire. There are pics of William and Kate in bathing suits (Kate in bikini) while they were dating and they were pictured being affectionate with each other. I doubt Harry and others would have been "blindsided" or "shocked" by this--seeing his brother wearing bathing trunks kissng his bikini clad girlfriend. Or is Diana the only one not alowed to do this

Also their mother was divorced and she could date and she was seen kissing her boyfriend. Lots of people kiss each oher when they are dating. It's not like they were in some sort of lurid photograph together. I think if they want "Papa" to be happy I think they would have wanted their mother to find happiness too. My take on ths is that Diana was fond of Dodi but I don't think she was ready for marriage yet and if she wanted to find someone to marry she shouldn't sit home while her ex had lavish parties for Camilla. But since the two are dead nobody will ever know how DOdi and Diana felt about each other, whether Diana thought it a "fling" or if they would have stayed together or broken up. But I am glad Diana did date and did move on and not sit home crying her eyes out over Charles birthday party for Camilla. SOme fairness is indicated here.
I never said that Diana couldn't have affairs or kiss her boyfriend while in her bathing suit. The sticking point is that she was INDISCREET! Good luck defending the Dodi affair. She was going downhill getting involved with that family. I always got the sense that she got involved with Dodi because he was the first available single man. She was in a lot of pain seeing Charles and Camilla so happy. I don't blame her. It wasn't 2 people divorcing because they were incompatible, but also because one partner found someone else he was madly in love with.

fixed quoting A

Read my post I said nobody can ever know how the relationship would have turned out because the two died. It is immaterial how you project my "feelings" about them which are irrevelant since neither you nor I can possibly know how it would have all turned out.

Hasnet Khan was not exactly secret. People knew about him at the time. He did not want to go public and probably knew he was not going to marry Diana. So Diana moved on. Women do this when they date and after her horrible marriage to Charles I doubt Diana would go rushing into another marriage but that didn't mean she didn't want to remarry at all (once she found the rght person).  BTW DIana did want to go public when Hasnet did not  and after a while she dropped him.

How was Diana "indiscreet". WOuld you want her to wear a mu mu or not go to the top deck of a ship. She was the most photographed woman in the world. Even WIlliam and Kate got photographed on a yacht  wearing bathing attire and being affectionate with each oher would you call them "indiscreet" or just DIana.

Camilla's party took place in the first marital home of Charles and Diana and where the boys grew up. Diana even decorated Highgrove as a young bride. Perhaps she found Charles flauntng Camilla there of all places in rather bad taste.

Diana did not go after "the firist available single man." You make her sound like some sort of desperate reject when she was one of the most iconic women in the world. She wanted to date and didn't "go after" Dodi, from what I read he pursued her because she was a desireable woman.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 05:23:22 am »

I am in my 20's and I care about what Camilla and Charles did. Diana, too, to some extent, but she was tricked into the marriage thinking her fiance loved her and would be faithful to her. And her husband left their marital bed and started ignoring her for mistresses after Harry was born; she had nothing to work with. Don't get me wrong, cheating isn't okay, but I can understand why she did what she did. If it were me, I would have filed for an annulment (fraud), but she had her boys to think about.

Some people don't remember, that is true, but you cannot forgive someone who isn't sorry for what they did. Charles had a pity party, and Camilla got what she wanted, title and all. Diana wasn't perfect, either, but at least she admitted 50% of the blame for the breakup of the marriage. She took ownership of what she did. Charles and Camilla decide to spin in their favor to sugar-coat and rewrite history.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:25:12 am by leogirl » Logged
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 12:02:52 pm »

^Prince Charles and Camilla can't rewrite history what Diana said about them is everywhere for eternity so I don't get what you mean by that...no history is being rewritten by "Charles lovers" DIANA herself said Camilla was always there and there was three of them in that relationship so I don't get what you mean with "she was tricked into marriage and though Prince Charles loved her" either (you will have to explain it to me like I was a child) seems to me you are doing a little history rewriting yourself  eating cookies.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »

Diana said  publiclythere were three of them in the marriage ( in 1995 during the interview)--she learned this the hard way. She told Morton she found out after the marriage and on the honeymoon that Charles had no intention of having Camilla totally out of his life (she sent him cufflinks on his honeymoon with Diana). Diana was 19 when this dazzling older man courted her and the press had the stories that Charles married "safe" women friends Camilla and Kanga approved or disapproved of his girlfriends. Back then I think Diana saw Camilla as Charles' "safe married friend" and was pleased (at first) that Camilla appeared to be taking her under her wing. Later on  during the engagement Diana got suspicious of Camilla's motives. Diana at the time of the marriage ceremony believed that Charles would say goodbye to Camilla after he took vows in Church to be faithful and true husband to Diana. She trusted Charles and believed they would be together. She told Morton she felt herself "the luckiest girl in the world" to be marrying Charles and thought of Camilla "well that's over." I think she truly believed in Charles and his being honorable. I think the onus was on Charles because he later said he really didn't love Diana but was "forced" to marry her. He apparently didn't share this little tidbit of info with Diana who really thought he loved her. I think he wanted heirs, t he suitable wife and the mistress and thought Diana would understand he had "special needs".

I agree with leogirl, history is being rewritten. The Great Thirty Year love story of C and C to me is a farce since Charles was serious about other women, and while he was with the Great Love, he was cheating on her with Janet Jenkins. Camilla was married and could not be "faithful" to Charles while married to another man and even having his children. Also, the propaganda is out there trashing Diana unmercifully. Even today that Bedell Smith person is blatantly anti Diana and I don't think the Palace and Charles mind because it whitewashes what C and C did. She gratuitously skewers Diana in her book about the Queen.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:29:11 pm by sandy » Logged
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 05:44:50 pm »

^The man said "Whatever love means" when asked if he was in love with her in front of the world and you are saying she thought he was madly in love with her? Aren't we over reaching there? I mean if he said that on camera for the world imagine how it was behind close doors...what propaganda? Not Prince Charles fault not everyone worships Diana.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:46:43 pm by Jane23 » Logged
sandy
Princess

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 06:17:53 pm »

I read that Diana thought at the time he was being "deep" when he said "whatever in love means." She saw him as an intellectual and it was not a deal breaker for her. She thought that if he proposed to her and married her he loved her which I consider quite reasonable.

If you look at the engagement interview pics Charles was openly affectionate with Diana, hugging her putting his arm around her and he didn't stand there like some sort of a statue chanting whatever love means. He also gave her an engagement ring and proposed to her.

If  the marriage didn't break up, nobody would talk about Charles saying "whatever in love means." Back then it was insignificant and people didn't collectively say well he's not in love with her. People thought it a fairy tale back then.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:22:42 pm by sandy » Logged
sandy
Princess

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2012, 06:27:59 pm »

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=diana+charles+engagement&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=583&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=1rciKLZmB-JEGM:&imgrefurl=http://www.pricescope.com/blog/prince-william-and-kate-middleton-engaged&docid=hCfl9raU6EE-BM&imgurl=http://www.pricescope.com/files/blog/princess-diana-prince-charles-engagement-ring.jpg&w=300&h=387&ei=MRswT5rpMOXV0QGetoGUCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=359&vpy=192&dur=905&hovh=255&hovw=198&tx=119&ty=182&sig=118352125524310979063&page=1&tbnh=117&tbnw=103&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0

One engagement pic
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:43 pm »

^If my man responded like that when asked if he loves me lets just say he wouldn't be my man anymore...
sandy
Princess

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2012, 07:52:38 pm »

Diana still believed he loved her and she did say she loved him. One can't project one's own feelings into another. Life isn't like that. I'm going by what Diana related to Morton. She thought the man loved her and even in Morrton didn't say she was "shocked" by Charles saying whatever in love means.
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2012, 10:34:41 pm »

Yep every girl would feel the "love" if her man answered like that to the question if he loves her.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 01:52:25 am »

I'm wondering  why Diana is censured for accepting Charles proposal yet Charles gets a free pass for saying whatever in love means. Why not knock Charles for courting and proposing to young Lady Diana when he said later he was "forced" to marry her. Charles was openly affecionate with his fiancee at the time It was not as if he didin't show affection. Plus I think Charles sweet talked Diana so she truly believed he was in love with her. YOu have no idea what went on with them when they were alone or what they said. At the time it was thought Charles was being philosophical about the nature of love and there was no outcry of OOOHH Charles doesn't love his fiancee.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:34 am »

It's not what you say, but how you say it. He was being affectionate with her at the time, and phrases can mean different things. "Whatever love means" => we are obviously in love, you're being silly asking that, just making a snide comment to the reporters asking a stupid question (love can mean so many different things, many ways to love someone), etc. The world seemed to eat it up and think of it as a fairy tale wedding, so obviously they didn't see the hidden meaning behind his words, only his affection toward her. I think Diana did have a small clue, but the announcements were out, money spent on the wedding... it was too late and she thought Charles would be honorable and leave his bachelor lifestyle behind after marriage.

Also, recall that Diana was only 19 (teenage girl) at the time of the engagement, and just four weeks past her 20th birthday at the time of her wedding. She was VERY young, and sometimes being in love blinds young people to the "big picture."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:14:17 am by leogirl » Logged
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »

^I think he was saying he loved her but wasn't IN LOVE with her or at least that is what I get from his words ...as for Diana  she was 19 not stupid by the time she was organizing the wedding Camilla was on her sh!t list catfight.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 07:12:18 pm »

Here is something written by Mary Quant about Diana.. her marriage .. and her life after.

MY DIVORCE SUMMIT WITH DIANA
It was novelist Shirley Conran’s idea. To help Princess Diana decide what she could or should do after her divorce from Prince Charles, she brought together five wise women in April 1997.
The other four women were: historian Lady Antonia Fraser, novelist and screenwriter Lynda La Plante, actress Siân Phillips and me. Shirley filled us in on the brief and we waited outside the restaurant Le Caprice in London’s West End for Diana to arrive.
As the Princess stepped down from her car, Shirley did a magnificently correct curtsey to the floor. The restaurant was electrified; but as most of the diners were British, they were determined not to show this.
Of course, before meeting Diana, we’d all realised what an impossible position she was in — but it was only after listening to her that we discovered it was actually disastrous.
She was trapped, she told us. She could never take another husband or she would lose her children.
Any man in the world would happily have lunch with her, but none would dare launch into a full public affair. It would be tantamount to treason.

Furthermore, the state would ensure the safety of her children only at the royal palaces, and would not allow them to live anywhere else. So if she left the country, she would also lose her children.
Five wise women went home wiser.
Diana died four months later.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2097453/Mary-Quant--Why-Princess-Margaret-thought-I-sleeping-Lord-Snowdon.html#ixzz1liooQ7Ni

The only man who would openly date Diana was Dodi .. please note how is name is spelled, and she told Rosa Monkton she had no intention of marrying him.... the boys had a wonderful holiday with the Al Fayed's.. long time family friends. 

sandy
Princess

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 07:20:22 pm »

^I think he was saying he loved her but wasn't IN LOVE with her or at least that is what I get from his words ...as for Diana  she was 19 not stupid by the time she was organizing the wedding Camilla was on her sh!t list catfight.

Back then nobody saw anything sinister about what he said. I think that because the marriage broke up this statement was revisited by writers and commentators. I think it can be said only Charles knew what he meant when he said it. Charles went in for philosophy and shared "words of wisdom" with gurus such as Van Der Post--I think at the time people thought he was being philosophical. My take on it anyway. One writer interpreted it as he would show Diana what love is (from early book Charles and Diana). Charles brought Van Der Post books for Diana to read on the honeymoon maybe he wanted her to get the philosophical concept of "whatever love is."

Camilla may have made her "list" but Charles wasn't on it. Apparently she loved and admired and looked up to him. She told Morton she thought he  was in love with her. And she told Morton and Bashir she was very much in love with him. Being in love with somebody, particularly a first love, can make a person so starry eyed that they just see the positives.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:24:02 pm by sandy » Logged
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:05 pm »

^You buy everything Diana said don't you?
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 08:06:02 pm »

Not at all .. I know people who were there... I read a great deal .. and I dont "buy" the tripe that is put out by C.H., and it's sychophants.... and most people dont either.

sandy
Princess

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:56 pm »

^You buy everything Diana said don't you?

Do you believe everything Charles said? BTW the subject is a discussion of what Charles meant. I said only he knows when he said whatever love means. What has that to do with what "Diana said." Diana apparently didn't think what he said a huge issue via her words to Morton and Bashir. She didn't even mention this to Bashir and barely mentioned it to Morton.
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 08:55:22 pm »

^You see it's a he said/she said thing the truth is in the middle if you want to take as gospel everything Diana ever said please be my guest it's a fee world.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: