Royal Gossip
August 24, 2017, 05:57:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles & Diana's Marriage  (Read 19003 times)
Dahlia
Baroness

« on: January 31, 2012, 12:23:24 pm »

I don´t think most dislike her because she looks like a horse, it´s because of what happened in the past. And well Diana belongs to this past.

Changed title - Alex
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:24:16 pm by Alexandrine » Logged
sandy
Princess

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »

If Diana belongs to the past why did William bring her up in the engagement interview? She's very much alive in the boys' hearts and in people's memories.

If Diana belongs to the past, why does Sally Bedell Smith continue her hatchet job on Diana in the book about the Queen?

That being said. I think Charles needs to go easy on the spin about Camilla. She is what she is. He's lucky he wasn't forced to give up his place in the succession for her (I believe he'd have given her up if given a choice).
Mooster
Duchess

"William, stop worrying...the paps wouldn't dare!"

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:07:37 pm »

He should have been made to choose.  Why should his brother have to give up Koo Stark; why did his Aunt and his Uncle David have to choose?  It makes me sick.  While Camilla lives in what should have been Diana's shoes, then in my mind Diana is very much alive...why should everyone consign her to the past just to make Camilla more likeable  stop

Diana, Zac, Jemima, Ben and Sir James Goldsmith    

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:28:41 pm »

Off topic but "David" was out for being close to the nazis.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
sandy
Princess

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 05:04:24 pm »

He could still not marry a two time divorcee. Even if there weren't rumors of nazi sympathy, she was totally unacceptable (Queen Mary called her an "adventuress"). Princess Margaret in the 50s was told she could marry Townsend only if she gave up much of her status as a royal family member. She obviously could not stay in line of succession.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:13 pm »

I think David was very popular and the idea could have been sold to the masses. The main problem would have been his family not the country.

the only thing that would have been harder to click would have been his position in the church.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
sandy
Princess

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:12 pm »

The PM Baldwin was dead set against the marriage and gave him the choice the throne or Wallis. Perhaps another PM would have helped him. Churchill was said to be sympathetic to David.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:50:55 pm by sandy » Logged
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 06:35:19 pm »

I have to say Diana was 23 years old, when her husband "returned" to his mistress, and I ask any of you, what should she have done ?  stayed at home knitting, whilst her hubby was knocking about with Camz?

Lots of authors write biographies, but few of them are psychiartists, including Beddell Smith.

No One who is a psychiartist ever diagnosed Diana as having BPD .. so let's not call it fact please.

Camilla is not acceptable to many in the UK and Commonwealth, because of her part in the break up of the Wales' marriage.

No amount of sugar coating will make this woman "sweet".

No amount of CH spin will make Charles out to be an honourable man.

Please read books written by the Butler, The Housekeeper and the Valet.

People who were actually there.. and not Johnny come lately's such as Beddell Smith.

.. and yes Jane.. Diana did take responsibility for 50% of her marriage breakdown.. and I choose to believe her.

Everyone has a part in this sorry saga, but as to who "started it" .. I feel Charles must take much of the blame... and as for who pretended to be a friend to Diana, all the while keeping her hooks firmly into Diana's husband, she must accept some moral blame.. anyone with any kind of a Moral Compass sees that.

Camilla, who is the topic of this thread, is not "loved" or even "liked" by many people, in the UK and Commonwealth.

Camilla and Charles have done much to help the Republican cause.

BTW as long as Diana's sons and grandchildren are alive .. she will not fade away.. sad news for CH I'm sure  LMAO
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:38:56 pm by Tatiana » Logged

Dahlia
Baroness

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:52:35 pm »

If Diana belongs to the past why did William bring her up in the engagement interview? She's very much alive in the boys' hearts and in people's memories.

If Diana belongs to the past, why does Sally Bedell Smith continue her hatchet job on Diana in the book about the Queen?

That being said. I think Charles needs to go easy on the spin about Camilla. She is what she is. He's lucky he wasn't forced to give up his place in the succession for her (I believe he'd have given her up if given a choice).

I think I formulated it wrong. I meant that Camillas unpopularity is not because of other things, it´s mainly because of Diana, and it will always follow her, so I don´t understand why we shouldn´t discuss the whole story.  Embarrassed
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »

So now Diana fans choose to speak  for the the people all over Commonwealth? I would like to remind them that she died in 1997 so your average 22 years old couldn't care less about the whole saga NO ONE under 40 does ... The Duchess is well liked and will be Queen Consort and has her man now and Diana's sons are OK with her and this kills some...my brother is 21 and even though he know who Diana is let me tell you he has no ill feelings towards anyone involved in the Triangle of Bermuda because Diana died when he was 7 so of course he fells NOTHING about the whole mess just like the rest of people his age I am sure feel nothing about it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:03:52 pm by Jane23 » Logged
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 07:05:19 pm »

Are you sure Jane23? There is still a lot of interest in Diana in the web and many of them are younger than 22 by far. Check tumblr or pinterest.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 07:08:54 pm »

Can we keep the discussion here about the affairs, the no affairs and the garden stories?

Leave the other thread to the PR tactics of Charles.

thankyou

sandy
Princess

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:09 pm »

So now Diana fans choose to speak  for the the people all over Commonwealth? I would like to remind them that she died in 1997 so your average 22 years old couldn't care less about the whole saga NO ONE under 40 does ... The Duchess is well liked and will be Queen Consort and has her man now and Diana's sons are OK with her and this kills some...my brother is 21 and even though he know who Diana is let me tell you he has no ill feelings towards anyone involved in the Triangle of Bermuda because Diana died when he was 7 so of course he fells NOTHING about the whole mess just like the rest of people his age I am sure feel nothing about it.

No one under forty? There are two people under 40 who would not be around today if it hadn't been for Diana: William and Harry. They talk about her and don't believe that "people could not care less."  I don't think they'd agree with your assessment. Kate also said at the engagement interview that she would have liked to have gotten to know Diana. I notice William and Kate didn't even mention Camilla during the engagement interview--must kill some people.

Unless you take a survey of every person in the world, there is no proof of your saying "nobody under 40 cares." But perhaps you would like to think so...Your brother has his own opinions but I don't think everyone thinks the same things he does.

I think the Duchess of Cornwall is not universally "well liked". There are people who adore her, people who don't like her and those who say Camila who?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:00:15 pm by sandy » Logged
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 01:40:01 am »

Please read this article regarding the most famous and most googled 30 women...

# 3. If she was alive today, probably the politics and social glitterati life of United Kingdom would be way different. The most controversial and yet, the most loved female of this generation left the world at a tender age, leaving behind a sea of controversies we are still diving in. Princess Diana finds the 3rd place on the list.

I do not see Camilla anywhere on this list.

http://stooge.hubpages.com/hub/The-Most-Famous-Female-in-the-World
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:44:51 am by Tatiana » Logged

Jane23
Princess

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:20:38 am »

I said people under 40 don't have strong feelings about the Triangle of Bermuda because they weren't even born when it happened and that in the long run helps Camilla being liked ...I never said that people under 40 don't remember Diana why do people put words in my mouth? As for Kate well I expect her to know who Diana is and mention her being Diana her mother in law and all  sly.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 02:47:02 pm »

How "OK" William and harry are with Camilla is subject to speculation. I think they accepted her for their father's sake, she did not have anything to do with raising them, and I think they are civil and cordial  but it is no big love fest. Diana must get under some people at the Palace's skin because Charles sympathizers like Sally Bedell Smith continue to do hatchet jobs on her. And there are people who don't like Camlla because of what she did to Diana. There was a history of the world before Camilla married Charles. Diana was the first wife and the mother of William and Harry who do speak publicly about their mother.
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »

Harry at 21 on Camilla, the media and Aids children in Africa

· Prince marks his birthday with candid TV interview
· Tells of devotion to Chelsy and love of army life
The Guardian, Thursday 15 September 2005

He and his brother loved Camilla "to bits": "She has always been very close to me and William ... But no, she's not the wicked stepmother... ". As he added: "She's a wonderful woman and she's made my father very, very happy," a horse behind him neighed loudly. The prince grinned, then added: "Everyone's happy. Everyone's fine."   Cool
Mooster
Duchess

"William, stop worrying...the paps wouldn't dare!"

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 05:27:41 pm »

^  Harry sounds as though he spouting propaganda and trying to convince everyone, including himself. 

Diana, Zac, Jemima, Ben and Sir James Goldsmith    

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 05:39:03 pm »

If William had been happy with his "new" family, he wouldn't have need the Midds.

sandy
Princess

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 05:58:07 pm »

I think Harry was bending over backwards to please Dear Old Dad.  I don't think they consider Camilla a "mother figure" since she didn't raise them and they were grown ups when Dad married her. And William and Harry did seek surrogate families via the Middletons and Davys respectively. William even said to call Mr Middleton "Dad." But I think Harry and William for the sake of harmony accepted Camilla --I honestly don't think they had much of a choice considering their needy father.

Harry doesn't seem to dote on his stepmother. She was absent when Harry came home from Afghanistan--only William and Charles came to meet him. William appeared at a supper with Camilla and her children. Harry never was shown in an famille event. The boys probably forgive but don't forget. IMO anyway

No mention of Camilla was made at W and K's engagement interview.

Harry paid a tribute to his mother on his 18th birthday saying she was an example to him re: charity work and he spoke up for her during the Matt Lauer interview. I think perhaps Dad didn't care much for that and "suggested" he honor his stepmother at his 21st birthday. I notice Charles also wanted to see the speech Harry wrote at Diana's Memorial service --he asked to see it right in front of the cameras. I think there is some insecurity there but the airbrushing out of Diana certainly is not on W and H's agendas.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:03:47 pm by sandy » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: