Royal Gossip
April 20, 2019, 03:54:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jubilee Cost  (Read 5666 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« on: January 10, 2012, 03:48:22 pm »

Conservatives balked at cost of Queen's Diamond Jubilee

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/politics/story/2012/01/09/pol-queen-diamond-jubilee.html

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:54:37 pm »

Geesh, even conservatives are balking at this? They usually lick the heels of the queen!

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:17:53 pm »

I'm not surprised - Canada has to be careful like evryone else and this costly junket must be raising eyebrows particularly as it follows on from the Honeymoon Trip last year.

I haven't read or heard anything about anyone in Govt here raising eyebrows as they are plugging it like crazy (along with the Olympics) hoping that we plebs won't notice the mess we're in.

What did the Roman's call it? Bread and circuses?

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Yooper
Princess

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:22:04 pm »

Geesh, even conservatives are balking at this? They usually lick the heels of the queen!

Maybe they're actually thinking about their positions and the consensus of the populace for once.  Or not.  These are dangerous times for anything that even smacks of expense.  And it's a ripe time for politicians to use it to their benefit.  There is no doubt that HM deserves a spectacle; it's just unfortunate that it comes upon her is in this extreme and worldwide financial climate. 

\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:19 am »

Cripes, I know about the economy, but this is still shocking.

If even conservative politicians are hesitating a criticizing though, I have to admit that this is still shocking to me. I just don't know how many more bitter disappointments that HM can at this point take. If her Jubilee, a historical moment is cut down to size, then it will be quite the blow.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:11:06 pm »

Paul Harrison ‏ @SkyNewsRoyal
#diamondjubilee #riverpageant boss Lord Salisbury has criticises UK Plc for not donating to cost of pageant and threatens to name and shame

#diamondjubilee: Salisbury says fundraising has "given me a huge amount of unnecessary work and it's been unnecessarily distracting"

#diamondjubilee Salisbury: "There are huge companies hosting large parties watching a free show we're providing - v distiguished people"

#diamondjubilee Salisbury: "Unless they (huge companies) start showing some generosity, i'll start naming them"

#diamondjubilee asked if advert ban was to blame, Salisbury: "It's quite possible, i was criticised when i said i didn't want tesco pagean

#diamondjubilee Lord Salisbury added: "The usual susects in the Uk have been very good and some have even given on condition of anonymity"

So no one is given money for the pageant. I can understand why, the companies do not get advertising so why would they spend money on it? Companies are to make profit not give money just because someone decided that a pageant would be cute for the jubilee.  looky

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
rogue
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:36:14 pm »

So he wants to name and shame them  laugh How about if the Queen showed some common sense and realised that a large celebration of the Jubilee would be inappropriate in these times. thumbsdown
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:40:40 pm by rogue » Logged
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:42:32 pm »

I got so angry reading the twits, I was thinking all the time if you didn't like the job why do it? And second give your own money!

True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

Absolutely. I suspect he's just realised that few people are that interested in the flotilla nonsense and luke warm about the entire DJ. Times are tough and there is a lot of public anger towards such events particularly the estimated £20 billion (and rising) security costs for the Olympics.

Dr David Starkey had some very waspish comments about the DJ flotilla which I just tried to find for you but the story has mysteriously vanished from the DT'S web site but the story re name and shame just popped up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9241994/Jubilee-river-pageant-boss-threatens-to-name-and-shame-distinguished-City-figures-who-refuse-to-help-pay-for-it.html

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:58:07 pm »

I cannot understand his argument that the business are making big parties (really?) to watch the show and don't pay. Well the Thames is public last time I checked so why should they pay?

Maybe some of them are simply not interested in the Queen, not everyone is a courtesan like some *cough, cough*.

rogue
Duchess

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:02:16 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9219701/The-Queens-Diamond-Jubilee-David-Starkey-rails-against-lunacy-of-flotilla.html

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:05:35 pm by rogue » Logged
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:06:15 pm »

flower Thank you Rogue I couldn't find it.

Reading the Lord Salisbury story they haven't raised enough money and with only a month to go it looks increasingly difficult they will do so.

Yes Alexandrine these companies can throw their own parties if they want to. Suspect this comment will annoy rather than encourage donations.

Long term weather forecast is pretty dire too rain, rain and more rain.

Also the Starkey story states "thousands" will line the route whereas the Salisbury states up to "two million" although that may be total visitors but we know how they exaggerate.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:11:08 pm by True Brit » Logged

rogue
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 11:10:15 pm »

They did spend money on the Gloriana which will only carry C&C ,that could have been spend better.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 11:11:59 pm »

Another possibility is that maybe companies are not making much profits this year, considering that half of Europe is in recession... and this man only thinks about the jubilee pageant.  wellduh

@rogue Gloriana is the boat they made for this event? And if it is, it was kind of non very grand. Where is the Queen then?  huh

Leila
Countess

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 11:17:30 pm »

Thanks for that, rogue.
Bless David Starkey.  worship

What is supposed to be the point of the flotilla? Can anyone explain that to me? How does the country benefit from it?
The whole jubilee just seems like a very expensive party for the royals to enjoy themselves - funded by others.  bored3
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »

hmm I'm kinda split over this.
On one hand I think it would be a nice thing to do for HM (and she no doubt deserves it after 60 years)
But it's a pity it's in a very harsh period for most ppl financially so I don't know if all the pump is needed.
Especially if you add the Olympics and that cost to the package,
2012 will be a heavy year for John and Jane doe in Britain.
 dontknow

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
rogue
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 11:26:59 pm »

@ Alexandrine , other members of the BRF will be on the Gloriana aswell except for the Queen & DoE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloriana_(ship)
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 11:33:34 pm »

Hi Leila  Hi It's a fiasco. I *despise* to have a go at Charles but I something in the memory bank is telling me it was his idea. Gloriana defo was and millions were spent on it before they realised it had to fit under the bridges or some other regulation.

Such things were indeed spectacular in Tudor times but not such a great event these days.

Also there have been grumblings about the red tape and security for anyone with a small boat wanting to take part.

Ido "get" the concept just not sure it will live up to Canaletto

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2012/04/canaletto-masterpiece-gives-queen-preview-of-diamond-jubilee-flotilla.html
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:37:24 pm by True Brit » Logged

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 11:45:19 pm »

So he wants to name and shame them  laugh How about if the Queen showed some common sense and realised that a large celebration of the Jubilee would be inappropriate in these times. thumbsdown

It's not like the Windsors have ever reached out ot business, except whne they want money, so why should business reach out to the Windsors? Business is not good in Britain or anywhere else, so why bother? What has HM done for British business? She seems to never entertain business officials, she never seems to entertain business owners, so why should they pony up massive amounts of cash for her Jubilee?

The whole jubilee just seems like a very expensive party for the royals to enjoy themselves - funded by others. 

I agree, it's not like the taxpayers are benfiting at all from these festivities beyond seeing HM for the usual few seconds. The RF gets to go on the boat and float in the (filthy) Thames, so it's not like the public gets anything out of these festivities. Forgive the bitterness, but to me it epitomizes how the Windsors cost so much and yet, bring in so little by comparison. Has the RF really brought in any jobs or really trumpeted Britain's businesses/industry?

Leila
Countess

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 11:48:30 pm »

Hi Leila  Hi It's a fiasco. I *despise* to have a go at Charles but I something in the memory bank is telling me it was his idea. Gloriana defo was and millions were spent on it before they realised it had to fit under the bridges or some other regulation.

Such things were indeed spectacular in Tudor times but not such a great event these days.

Also there have been grumblings about the red tape and security for anyone with a small boat wanting to take part.

Ido "get" the concept just not sure it will live up to Canaletto

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2012/04/canaletto-masterpiece-gives-queen-preview-of-diamond-jubilee-flotilla.html
BFF2

Tudor times....yeah, I guess that's where the RF and their cronies still live in their minds.  wopedo
This reminds me of the new yacht disaster.
So completely out of touch with reality.
This might be spectular (if they manage to pull it off), but does that justify the expense - no matter how it is funded? It's a lot of money that could have been better spent.
Is bringing back tudor times really the image the monarchy wants?
The RF making their way down the Thames on luxury boats while the rest of the country is in crisis?
Does it have to be this extravagant?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: